Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carla_english

Photos of my 2021 rose garden.

Carla (6A MA)
last year

Looking back at last years garden flush and hoping this season will be just as good. My roses seemed to have a hard time this past winter in 6A Massachusetts. More dieback and some perennials did not come back at all. A lot of cold temps and high winds here, but very little snow.

Comments (16)

• Carla (6A MA)
    Original Author
    last year

Ang, sure. For roses I have quite a few... Boscobel, Princess Alexandra of Kent, gentle Hermione, Alnwick, Outta the Blue, Royal Jubilee, Jubilee Celebration, wedgewood rose, eden pretty in pink, Sceptor di Isle, Queen of Sweeden, Granma's Blessing and Peace rose. I have others not pictured in the photos I posted ... James Galway, Zephrine and Eden. Some of the companion plants are hydrangea, various grasses, walkers low nepeta, lavender and others.

• erasmus_gw
    last year

It's just beautiful! Love the colors. Is that Walker's Low nepeta in the fourth picture at the left?

Carla (6A MA) thanked erasmus_gw
  • Carla (6A MA)
    Original Author
    last year

erasmus, yes it is! So beautiful in June.

• rosecanadian
    last year

Carla - unimaginable to me that a garden can look that beautiful!! Utterly gorgeous and it does my heart good to see the beauty you have created.

Carla (6A MA) thanked rosecanadian
  • forever_a_newbie_VA8
    last year

Very beautiful

Carla (6A MA) thanked forever_a_newbie_VA8
  • Carla (6A MA)
    Original Author
    last year

Rosecanadian, THANK YOU so much! If you are ever in Massachusetts in mid June, come and visit the roses :)

• rosecanadian
    last year

Carla - that would be AMAZING!!! :) :)

• sara_ann-z6bok
    last year

Carla, your roses are beautiful!

Carla (6A MA) thanked sara_ann-z6bok
  • strawchicago z5
    last year
    last modified: last year

Carla (6A MA) Thank you for sharing your amazing garden !! I love the natural look of your garden, so lush with many blooms. Worst spring this year for my zone 5a, own-root roses that were used to be at least 1 foot of green cane for the past 10 winters become 4 inch. this spring.

How do you like Alnwick rose compared to Royal Jubilee? Which one is better for the vase, and which one smells better? Also how's Outta the Blue for you? I almost bought Outta the Blue from Roses Unlimited but I backed out since Twilight Zone has light scent to me. I buy roses for scent alone. Thanks for any info.

Carla (6A MA) thanked strawchicago z5
  • Ang NC_7B
    last year

@strawchicago z5 I have Jubilee Celebration and can say that it has one of the stongest and best frangrances out of any rose I have come across. The blooms are so big and the plant stays very healthy. Such a winner!

• strawchicago z5
    last year

Ang NC_7B Earlier today I was looking at David Austin catalog and thought about ordering Jubilee Celebration. And your gorgeous pic. confirm that I should. Thank you.

• Ang NC_7B
    last year

@strawchicago z5 We're all such enablers! I know we weren't even talking about that rose, but the word "jubilee" just reminded me of how awesome mine is blooming right now and I had to mention it!

• Carla (6A MA)
    Original Author
    last year

@strawchicago z5 So Royal Jubilee is an amazing rose bush because it blooms a lot is very full and has a beautiful scent. However, not for the vase in ,my opinion. The flowers on Royal Jubilee are so sweet and beautiful but they are chalice shaped and they are on delicate stems that nod downward. I love the way she is free form and elegant. Nothing rigid about Royal Jubilee! .... Alnwick is a beautiful rose but mine has been very slow to grow and I have not had a lot of blooms on her yet. This will be the third year so we shall see. I think she would be nice in vase and her scent is pretty, but I have not cut any blooms because there were so few last year.

Outta the Blue is fantastic! I love her. She's not like my Austin roses at all though. She is always in bloom and the colors vary depending on where the bloom is in its life cycle. They are small and there are not a lot of petals but her scent is very strong and I just keep her blooms on the shrub. One of my absolute favorites is Boscobel Check out that rose. The shrub is on the small size (unlike royal jubilee which is large and full). Boscobel has a lovely scent and gorgeous color.

• strawchicago z5
    last year

Carla (6A MA) Thank you for the info. that Royal Jubilee isn't for the vase, it reminds me of Pat Austin (constant blooming but blow fast). Your report of Alnwick rose is similar to what Ann in Northern CA reported: Alnwick took years to establish.

Thank you for the recommendation of Outta the Blue. Stick kick myself for taking out Boscobel and bought Princess Ann just because someone reported zero scent on Boscobel (6 years ago).

• rosecanadian
    last year
    last modified: last year

Straw - I read Carla's comments...and I agree...when I grew it, the canes weren't strong enough to hold the blooms up on the bush. But that could be something it grows out of.