Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judybkidd

Can Someone Name This Plant

Judy
last year
last modified: last year

Would appreciate any information you can give me.

Comments (32)

• User
    last year

Judy, I have not a clue about plants but there are many, many here that do. I know you will get your answer.

I’d name it Fritz.🙂

• blfenton
    last year

I have no idea either but it certainly is an interesting looking one. Looks like a succulent of some sort.

• HU-408592037
    last year

I was thinking it looks like a Harold or maybe Lester.

I agree about a succulent of some sort.

patriciae

• Judy
    Original Author
    last year

I hope this plant hasn't stumped the plant experts.

• yeonassky
    last year

I think Harold is a good name for it so I seconded that. Hopefully you will get an answer for the taxonomic name too. :-). If possible I would take more detailed pictures of the leaves.

• Uptown Gal
    last year

LOL It is a Succulent of some kind, but that's all I know for sure.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    last year

I like how you put cane in the title. It puts me in mind of my Lucky Bamboo plant. It probably is something in the cane family. It's pretty cool looking if you ask me.

• dedtired
    last year

Some kind of pepper plant, i think.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

It is an etiolated (light starved) succulent of some type, I'd guess a sedum or crassula. But not a good photo from which to ID and the etiolation is not helping matters.

btw, there is no such thing as a "cane family" in the plant world :-)

• Rusty
    last year

Have you tried an image search on Google?

Rusty

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    last year

You could edit your post to add the Cacti and Succulent forum. One thing is certain, if there are no drainage holes in that pot, it will not do well.

tj

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    last year

Excuse me, Gardengal, I was using the phrase "cane family" as a description not an genus or species. Geesh.

• arbordave (SE MI)
    last year

possibly Peperomia ferreyrae?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

Geesh yourself! By that logic, giant redwoods are members of the "cane family". So is anything with a defined stem.

• joann_fl
    last year

the picture looks like a succulent

• nicole___
    last year

My first thought was a light starved ice plant or Crassula gollum.

Photo off the internet..Crassula gollum...the ends curl the wrong way...so maybe google Crassula for the genus....

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    last year

Gardengal, why are you reading so much into my using a term of description?

• Jay 6a Chicago
    last year

Crassula tetragona?

• thefof Zone 8/9 UK
    last year

Check out Kleinia (Senecio) neriifolia.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    last year

arbordave - right on!!!

neds to be fuller - perhaps more light & less water..

• arbordave (SE MI)
    last year

I'm actually relatively ignorant when it comes to houseplants, but I had a bit of an advantage in this case having received one as a gift a couple years ago ;)

• Virginia
    last year

murraysmom, I think your "Lucky Bamboo" is a dracena.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    last year

johnsaunt, Lucky Bamboo is what Lowe's put on the tag. A check with Yahoo says the botanical name is dracena, so we are both right.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

DracaEna.....

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    last year

murraysmom Zone 6a OH

Many plants have more than one common name...same common name is often used for completely different plants...It is really best to get used to latin/botanical/scientific names...but they should be spelled correctly... I doubt yahoo said 'dracena' (but I didn't check). Correct spelling is Dracaena as floral said, & botanical name is Dracaena sanderiana...

• woodrose
    last year

I find it too hard to remember botanical names of every plant. I think the most important thing is to enjoy plants, and not be overly concerned about knowing every little thing about them.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

If an id is requested on the Name That Plant Forum, I believe it is a safe assumption that the questioner wants a reliable and correct name which they can take away and research. That is why we like to give scientific names. These are universally accepted the world over. And, if you choose to learn, they can contain a lot of information about a plant including its relationship to other plants. Common names are interesting, fun and often memorable but they are not unique. For example, you might be certain you know what is meant by Rose of Sharon. But if you were talking to a British gardener they would have a totally different plant in their mind’s eye. By providing the botanical name we are offering accurate information. If one chooses not to use it that is another matter.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    last year

woodrose

Totally agree with floral. It is your choice what name you use, but searching by the common name MAY lead to info about different plant...I also find that one will OFTEN get info from more reliable sources...JMO, and it is surprising how fast one can get used to using botanical names. While not everyone is interested to..."knowing every little thing about them"...many are...

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    last year

My final word on this. Woodrose, I completely agree with you about this. I think the problem lies in the fact that this was posted in two plant focused forums and The Kitchen Table. We at the Table are merely having a conversation about things without having professional descriptions or expectations of knowing exactly what the most perfect answer is. It's a matter of having different audiences. To each his own. Thanks.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

I agree about the two audiences. But an accurate plant name is not exactly a ’professional’ description. It’s the minimum needed for finding reliable information about a plant or for purchasing exactly what one wants. The OP actually wanted a specific name and eventually she got one. Now she has the wherewithal to learn precisely how to care for her plant. “The most important thing is to enjoy plants”. I absolutely agree. And it is because we enjoy plants that we take the trouble to find reliable information about them. It’s away to enjoy them more.

• Judy
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for all your replies.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida