Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reivegas

Exterior Door Paint correcting/matching

reivegas
last year

Looks good from afar.. but far from good. Essentially I'm trying to match existing paint's color, sheen and texture. Here's the breakdown:

I'm remodeling, and I'm guessing last owner (or contractor) spray painted exterior door brown from outside while closed, leaving the borders white.

My thought was to just correct the borders rather than repainting whole door.

I tried matching the color code, using the rubber seal for a sample since they spray painted over that

Sherwin Williams got best results after allowing me to adjust several times (initially tried with Home Depot and they didn't come close and were stingy about adjustments).

I don't have a sprayer.. and it seems a hassle to rent one or buy one just for this.. but I did think about getting a $10 garden sprayer or other DIY sprayers.. but probably a bad idea? LOL

So I'm using a brush with Floetrol to 'level' it and 'eliminate brush marks'. Container didn't come with instructions and the internet is all over the place with ratio. But I'm starting with 1:8 (one part Floetrol to 8 parts paint).

I tried using the best brush available with the right technique, then lightly sanding afterwards but I'm not happy with the results. Maybe more Floetrol?? Internet says it won't affect color.

As for the color match, many are saying it's an acceptable match but the sheen disparity is what makes it look imperfect.

So... I can only think of two ways to go from here.

Continue the borders-only approach and use more Floetrol, perhaps use a roller instead of a brush, maybe even use a blower to smooth wet paint to help level and eliminate marks, then spray some kind of sealer/finish (like they do on stone counters) to achieve a semi-gloss to match rest of door..

Just repaint the whole door and be ok with whatever low-gloss matte finish my SW quart gives me. If this is best way, please expand on any helpful steps (Floetrol ratio, brush vs roller vs affordable sprayer, proper sanding and any other techniques, using different paint type, sealer/finishers, etc.)

Thanks in advance, hope the photos help.

Comments (6)

• reivegas
    Original Author
    last year

Good eye Stephanie. I'm guessing you saw the little dents (metal door)! Yea, I'm leaning towards painting the whole thing because it's not that much more surface area and it'll take the matching aspect out. Just would be concerned it won't have that sheen. Ok, I'll look into enamel.. maybe that'll reflect the proper amount of light.

I'd be curious to see what your door looks like..

Yes, more forum advice please.. learning lots from everybody

• cat_ky
    last year

Definitely repaint the entire door. It isnt all that great a paint job anyway. Cant see your house, so not sure if what you have is the best color. A brighter color for the front door might be a bit nicer look.

reivegas thanked cat_ky
  • reivegas
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Cat. Looks like the entire door it is.. It's an HOA so I have to match their color choice. They couldn't even give me a color code that made sense, so I had to get it from SW.

• reivegas
    Original Author
    last year

For repainting the entire door, what would you all do? Brush, roller or spray?

If spray, any luck with models, rentals or DIY versons?

I just saw Home depot rents a Graco 20V Cordless for $36/day. Any luck with rentals? I guess clogging would be main issue if they don't clean the nozzles/tips

I'm ok with corded. I'm also ok with buying one if a good value and dependable. Any luck with a small sprayer purchase for DIY home projects?

• cat_ky
    last year
    last modified: last year

Since it is a metal door, spray might be the best. However, I will tell you, if it were my door, I would sand it really good, and prime it with a high quality primer and paint it with a good quality brush. Mostly because, it seems when spraying there is always overspray on something, and I really dislike any overspray.

reivegas thanked cat_ky