Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
intwilightshadow

Twilight's rose introduction

Hello all, I have been lurking here recently. For years I've had a single little Proven Winners shrub rose, but then in July we moved into a home with 5 neglected roses. I'm mostly into African violets inside, and herbs out. I looked at the scruffy roses and wasn't sure I wanted to mess with them.

Then what was clearly Peace did this. So I have roses now. I'll talk about the others in comments.

Comments (6)

• intwilight z6a KS
    Original Author
    last year

Two other tea roses are red. I'm very in love with the larger one next to my porch steps. The new growth was flaming scarlet. It stands more upright where Peace wants to make a big wide U. The scent seems "perfect" rose to me, so damask. I can smell this rose when I open the door. Super wicked thorns.

The other is in very poor condition, I got it to bloom last fall once but not yet this spring. It is very similar to this but not exactly the same. I may let it go (it has died back to the point that there is one cane a foot tall).

My guess is they are Chrysler Imperial and Mr Lincoln. This is the healthy one of course.

• intwilight z6a KS
    Original Author
    last year

The other two aren't tea roses.

This one looks like Dr. Huey, and I'm guessing root stock. It was completely bare of leaves when we moved in from black spot. I will not be keeping this. Too many negatives.

My neighbor (landscaping guy) says this is a floribunda. It's very floppy, I wonder if it wants to be supported as a climber. There was a trellis here that we had to take down to repair on the porch. Smells rather like apples with a hint of spice, happy bloomer. This is the only photo I've managed to take where the color does not overwhelm and blur the camera.

• intwilight z6a KS
    Original Author
    last year

All credit to the lady before me! Her name was Jane, and she lived in this house since the 50s.

What there is to see of the unhealthy rose doesn't look like the Dr Huey. Here's the only bloom I got from it last summer. Poor thing looks worse now.

• Diane Brakefield
    last year

I thought this was the case, but just checking. I hope your roses are early clones. From what I've seen in my long life is that the early Peace roses were more beautiful than later ones. Diane

intwilight z6a KS thanked Diane Brakefield
  • intwilight z6a KS
    Original Author
    last year

The youngest daughter of the previous family for our house stopped by (she lives out of town). She was happy to see we didn't tear out the roses. Apparently they were her dad's REAL children. She said the three hybrid teas were planted sometime in the 60s!

She confirms that the two reds are Chrysler Imperial and Mr Lincoln but she doesn't remember which was which. The smaller one is getting ready to bloom for the first time this year and the larger is putting on a second round, so hopefully I can compare scents.