Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debra_schisler

New Construction Walk-in Pantry Design Ideas - Help!

Debra S
last year

I am in a new construction on the intercoastal waterway. I have a walk-in pantry and this is a desk area that was part of the original plan. This is the first thing you see when you open the pantry door. I am not sure I will use this as a desk for other than paying bills, etc. (My primary work desk is on the top floor). I am looking for a drop zone to charge iphones, ipads, laptops, kindles. I would also like to have a place to keep personal bills, a lateral file cabinet for personal items, etc. But that is really it. How would you change this space to get maximum use/storage?

New Construction · More Info

Following is the wall space that is to the right of the desk for food (pantry) items. I will not necessarily keep the shape of these built-ins. But it does include these 3 walls.

Any design ideas are greatly appreciated!

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I really dislike walk in pantries so am wodering why you want to keep this I need to know the measurements of the space , how it realtes to the kitchen . As for bills I have not had a bill mailed to me for 5 yrs they all come on;ine I pay them online and see no reason to have a desk in the kitchen. We almost all have laptops and a kitchen counter is great place to use it. I like true pullout pantries so much more than a walkin so i need more info.

• Debra S
    Original Author
    last year

These were pre-purchased plans with no modifications. Had I reached out to you all before framing, I may could have extended the kitchen wall but it is too late for that now.

Here is a picture of the kitchen design. To the left of the refrigerator is the door to the desk/pantry area and beyond that is my washer and dryer area.

The desk area looks to be 62" wide by 28 inches deep. To the left is a small nitch that I am thinking about putting hooks for purses, briefcases, coats. Then when you look right you see the corner pantry shelves. The wall that backs up against the kitchen is 88 inches wide. The adjacent wall, 70 inches and then the other wall is 36".

Next to the 36" wall is an opening that leads to the laundry room.

• Debra S
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

And that blank wall in the kitchen to the right of the bar is the backside of an elevator.

I am not in favor of the desk either, but I am just not sure what to do in that space to maximize its use.

• anj_p
    last year

An overhead plan view would be more helpful than these renderings. I might be misunderstanding how this all goes together, but I would not put a desk in a pantry ever. It isn't a place to do work or charge anything other than a hand vac, IMO. I would make the pantry exclusively for food and kitchen storage. You can put your charging station in the mud room if you have one, or in the kitchen, and find another space for file storage (why not your work office?). I would use that space for food/appliance storage.

• Debra S
    Original Author
    last year

Here is a copy of the plan that shows the area behind the kitchen. Just really struggling with what to put where the desk is. Open shelving? Cabinets? Drawers?

• emilyam819
    last year

I actually think this will be good as a small desk area. Your work desk sounds far away; I’d never carry mail, etc upstairs and it would just clutter up downstairs if I didn’t have a dedicated space. I’d want cubbies/slots for organizing papers.

• Debra S
    Original Author
    last year

And that was the thought behind the desk. I don't think I will sit at it much (opting instead to sit in the kitchen with my water view). I would like a place for mail, though, because I don't have a mudroom in this house except on the ground floor (garage area).

• astm
    last year

Hi Debra from what u described I would consider adding more lower cabinets and not having a place to sit at the desk. That’s a true drop zone. If u sit at the desk u would be in a traffic zone between kitchen and pantry- not all that practical? Maybe open shelving above the desk to do it’s more flexible storage for pantry items or appliances or electronics. If it’s mainly a charging and drop zone Make sure to have electrical outlets the area - u can even add outlets that have a USB port on them. Enjoy!!

• kandrewspa
    last year

Would a beverage refrigerator be of any use to you? It does look like you might have room for one elsewhere in the kitchen, but that's all I could think of. :-) You could put one there with a drawer cabinet next to it to fill in the rest of the space. The space over it could be shelves. If you don't think you would use a counter there, don't install one as that would just be more expense. That is a large kitchen - I don't think you're going to have trouble finding room for everything.

• Debra S
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you! I like the idea of adding more base cabinets and then shelves above. It will help open things up a bit.

We have a beverage fridge in bar. I thought about adding another, though, for just wine. And getting rid of the countertop to save money is a good idea too.

• btydrvn
    last year

A pantry should never adjoin a laundry room because of humidity…a pantry is a real asset and convenience because you can have all open shelving ( no closed cabinets)for easy access …you can have shallow shelves on top and a narrow counter with deeper shelves beneath it …much needed to store big boxes of chips, cereals, zip-locs..napkins…. paper towels etc……. no door at the entry to the pantry makes much more sense as you are always carrying something when entering or leaving…or both…..also the laundry location could not be more inconvenient…besides being too small for all the things you will need to do in the laundry room….like folding towels and sheets,…hanging things you don’t fold…storing all kinds cleaning products…and most of all a good size sink an counter that always becomes a handy spot for all sorts of things..

• Debra S
    Original Author
    last year

@ksewell01 thank you! We are still in the building stage but this is my latest rendering for the desk area. Obviously, I will not be using as a desk but more as a butler's pantry. I am thinking of a butcher block counter.

• ksewell01
    last year

I love it! This looks almost identical to my bar area in the kitchen. Only difference is a small sink in the middle and a beverage fridge in the lower right. Otherwise, so similar! 😊 And I love butcher block counters!

• Debra S
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks! I have a beverage fridge in my actual bar area in kitchen. I ended up not doing a prep sink only because I had one in my other home and never used it. I may regret it!