Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilikefriday

Would you consider this tile job modern and edgy or a flop?

ilikefriday
last year
last modified: last year

I think I really like it.

Comments (41)

• olychick
    last year

I'm kind of neutral about it, but boy do I dislike the wood on the cabinets.

ilikefriday thanked olychick
  • ilikefriday
    Original Author
    last year

@olychick

I kind of like the cabinets but why on earth would they have flower pots in a drawer? I don't have a green thumb and know nothing about gardening but it seems very odd to me.

• Funkyart
    last year

I like it.. as with most things, in the right environment/context.

5+ years ago, I used to go to a cafe with the same tiles (different grout, I believe) and i loved it.

ilikefriday thanked Funkyart
  • maddielee
    last year

Edgy in a not one bit practical kind of way.

ilikefriday thanked maddielee
  • Jilly
    last year

I’m not a fan of any of it. The tiles are a cool design, but I think in smaller doses or broken up design-wise. There’s too much, uninterrupted. The cabinets are too rustic, even for me. I don’t like the bulbs showing. Part of the dishwasher showing, no.

I can usually find something in rooms I like, but this one is unappealing to me.

I wouldn’t keep my plants in a drawer, no. :D

ilikefriday thanked Jilly
  • Fori
    last year

It's ugly.

(The herbs are probably just really idiotic staging.)

The least they needed was nice wood and a nice colored tile. Like lime green. I would like it in lime green penny tile.

ilikefriday thanked Fori
  • User
    last year

I find it aesthetically interesting, but the impractical nature of the entire scene makes me lean towards just not liking it. And I'm pretty sure the herbs are screaming "nooooooooo!" in tiny high-pitched voices.

ilikefriday thanked User
  • just_terrilynn
    last year

I have a hard time keeping real indoor plants alive so wouldn’t be inclined to stuff them in a drawer to guarantee a bad outcome. If I never see that coloration of faux or real wood on cabinets, furniture or floors (especially floors) again in my life I will be happy.

ilikefriday thanked just_terrilynn
  • Fori
    last year

Maybe the ugly fluorescent-style bulbs (except for the one that was removed from over the sink for reasons) are grow-lights and the plants live on the counter. Maybe...no. There's no maybe.

ilikefriday thanked Fori
  • DLM2000-GW
    last year

Not modern and edgy in my book at all. The grouted edge is a disaster waiting to happen.

ilikefriday thanked DLM2000-GW
  • blfenton
    last year

Aren't those penny tiles? We thought about using them about 12 years ago in a new kitchen and our designer told us we would tire of them within a month. We thought about it and decided she was probably right. Not modern and edgy in my book either.

ilikefriday thanked blfenton
  • palimpsest
    last year

This is not American.

But I think this esthetic is more like graduated from HS 1964. Smoked a lot of weed and graduated college in 1968, house shared a beat up Victorian and did a lot of weird and raw renovations inside.

ilikefriday thanked palimpsest
  • lisaam
    last year

I don’t typically think about dust on glass sconces or grease accumulating on backsplashes but looking at this I just imagine how grungy looking it would become. Pennies on a kitchen counter would turn me into a crazy person..

ilikefriday thanked lisaam
  • Gooster
    last year

There are many ways to do edgy. This is not one of them.

The penny tile on counters and shelves is a hard no from me. Who ever woke up and thought, grout is the worst part of tile counters, let's make far *more* grout lines. It's not even a case of form over function, because the form would have to be pleasing. I've seen penny tile on backsplashes, but the use is best limited to there.

The cabinet fronts look to have raw wood edges. So it is not even a faux look This will look grungy, and not in an edgy way, very soon. They need some finger or edge pulls, but even that would forestall the inevitable. And the lack of a fully integrated dishwasher is a big miss as well. And the narrow florescent tubes? Don't get me started.

ilikefriday thanked Gooster
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

What a strange photo. Obviously, the drawer with the plants couldn't be closed without crushing the plants.

Other than the weird posing & plants thing, I like the look, but wonder how functional it is IRL.

ilikefriday thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • deegw
    last year

If I visited that house I would tell the owners, "Your kitchen is so cool". But I would never do the same in my own space.

ilikefriday thanked deegw
  • OutsidePlaying
    last year

At first glance it looks cool, but then it is almost dizzying to me. And the impractical nature of all of it then kicks in. No drawer pulls, all that grout, the plants in an absolutely wrong spot, the bare flourescent bulbs, and who knows what we cannot see.

ilikefriday thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Moxie
    last year

Definitely not modern or edgy to me. The bare florescent lights and penny round tiles on a counter make me think "mediocre DYI" even though the installation was probably done by professionals.

ilikefriday thanked Moxie
  • msmeow
    last year

It looks like Waffle House.

ilikefriday thanked msmeow
  • bpath
    last year

Edgy as in the whole thing sets my teeth on edge. Why is the dishwasher so far from the sink?

ilikefriday thanked bpath
  • lakeaffect_gw
    last year

It’s oddly staged, the sink is poised to hip check the careless cook and the herb drawer is just nonsensical. But I love the cabinets, we used to call that look ”barnboard” where I grew up, and the penny round tile is very cool, but to me it doesn’t get to edgy status. I actually like the under shelf lighting, it’s unobtrusive and probably provides good light for cooking tasks.

ilikefriday thanked lakeaffect_gw
  • arcy_gw
    last year

Too much of a good thing on the tile. Possibly it would have worked if the shelf tops and bottoms were the dark wood, and tile the front edge of the shelves and counter top and back splash? As for the wood--again too much. Kitchens have dishwashers it's ok for everyone to SEE it. It would actually be a nice balance for the white of the sink front if it were white too. The SS DOES NOT FIT this kitchen at all!! Lets move on from the staging on the herbs...the 'farm house' sink will always be a looser in my book. And those lights--well they were cheap and they certainly do the trick and somehow go with the aesthetic but I would still pass.

ilikefriday thanked arcy_gw
  • ilikefriday
    Original Author
    last year

I am a little surprised at how many people really dislike it. I find it edgy and modern. A different take on penny tile. I love that the tile continues up the wall and covers the shelves. I agree that it is impractical and the herb drawer is downright ridiculous. Clearly, this is just a staged photo, probably not even a real kitchen.

I also really love this tile countertop. It is just as impractical but I love the look.

Then there is this. My all time favorite countertop on the www. I would love to try and recreate this look in my kitchen. Resin. I have never seen a countertop like this irl but I think I could look at these two photos for hours.... My current countertops are laminate. I hate them. I really, really hate them. I would love to try resin over the laminate before they are replaced, not that I am planning on replacing them anytime soon. But when I am ready, I will pick out a solid surface as my backup and try the resin first. If that is a flop, I will replace with a solid surface.

• Jilly
    last year

Those are very cool, definitely edgy!

I’m currently crushing on Rosa Aurora marble:

• ilikefriday
    Original Author
    last year

@Jilly That is beautiful and I love the color scheme of that bathroom. I wonder if that corner door has enough room to clear the light fixture when open. Isn't it crazy to crush on a marble or a countertop??? I can TOTALLY relate!

• Jilly
    last year

Friday, good question, I’ll try to find more pics … I’d like to see the whole room!

(The paint colors are Farrow & Ball Setting Plaster and F & B Railings.)

• Yayagal
    last year

Not for me, it's not pleasant to view.

ilikefriday thanked Yayagal
  • palimpsest
    last year

Setting Plaster, or White Person Bandaid, is one of my favorite paint colors I will probably never uses

ilikefriday thanked palimpsest
  • Jilly
    last year

Same here, Pal.

I think it looks amazing in every room, lighting, etc I see it in.

http://kerryvillers.com/home/beautiful-rooms-painted-in-farrow-and-balls-setting-plaster/

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

Some years back, at a local artist collective, we met an artist who painted enormous canvases like that colorful countertop. The effect is sort of hypnotic and meditative.

I think I might get confused about spills, tho 😄

ilikefriday thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • bbstx
    last year

This picture looks ripe for the website that makes up snarky stories about catalogue pictures. Anyone remember the name of the website? @Jilly I think you could do a helluva job making up a story to fit this picture!

ilikefriday thanked bbstx
  • Fori
    last year

I like the black tile countertop and don't think it would be at all impractical if you ran a very tidy kitchen. I bet it shows every smudge. Tile is a wonderful kitchen surface and the only reason my main kitchen counter isn't tile now is the lack of tile-under sinks available.

ilikefriday thanked Fori
  • Gooster
    last year

The reason the sink looks like it sticks out so much is because there is no overhand on the counter. The first time wine or other liquid is spilled on the counter it is going to run right down the grout spacing and onto the front of that wood (it may still with an overhang, but so much more in this case)

I like the black tile counter --- with four inch tile, normal grout lines and dark grout you avoid any of the downsides (though I'm not a fan of gloss black -- shows everything)

I was thinking that I've seen so many better uses of penny time in a kitchen, and then I stumbled across this article with 25

https://www.shelterness.com/penny-tile-kitchen-backsplashes/

But I like the bold variant below

https://cdn.homedit.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Green-and-few-blue-penny-tiles.jpg

ilikefriday thanked Gooster
  • nicole___
    last year

Setting Plaster = new Kilim beige

Penny tiles...and home made cabinets. Looks like a cheap...and don't have to wait to order it...DIY 😁

I really don't like tile counter tops. I think movement granite....is edgy and new! Jinx....nice!

@ilikefriday...the color splashed counter....might be gorgeous in a modern beachy house...

ilikefriday thanked nicole___
  • Fori
    last year

The drawer fronts are on very modern boxes and probably work well--they do have knobs. I wonder if they are laminate fronts or if someone had to work to make them look cruddy.

With the oven (and probably cooktop) crammed in there, I get the impression of a small kitchen, but so much of the space is wasted on "style", perhaps it isn't small and the storage issues are solved on the same wall as the refrigerator.

ilikefriday thanked Fori
  • pricklypearcactus
    last year

I'm not a fan. But at least it seems like the tiles were installed well. I don't really like weathered wood like that on cabinetry and I'm not enamored with the look of the penny tiles. I do kind of like penny tiles on the floor, but it seems like too much grout for countertops and it reads "grout" rather than "look at these cool tiles" to me. Whereas the photo of the black tile countertops that @ilikefriday posted, the tiles seem to be the focus for the eye.

ilikefriday thanked pricklypearcactus
  • Jilly
    last year

“Honey, did you remember to pick up the shipment of Manitoban goat tear marinade? I’m going to mix it with our drawer herbs tonight.”

”Darling, no, remember you sent me out for Andes sheep snot cheese, and reminded me to find the one aged? That you won’t eat it otherwise? That’s where I’ve been for the past four hours. Oh, I ran into Chadwickston, he wants to meet us at the club Friday night.”

”I’d love to! Honey? So you didn’t get the goat tears?

”Did I stutter?”

”There’s no need for that tone. I just ripped my brand new Fendiuccivace cashmere tshirt on these stupid ass cabinets! Do you know what that shirt cost?!l

”Language. Actually, yes, I do.”

”And I can’t find the dishwasher! That’s why the sink is full of dishes!”

”It’s behind the barnwood panel.”

“Do you see the Italian tongs?”

”They’re on the counter. They blend in.”

”Stop taking my picture! I need to change and look effortlessly elegant and enviable. Be right back.”

• bbstx
    last year

^^^😂😂😂

ilikefriday thanked bbstx
  • nicole___
    last year

Jinx,,,😊😊😊

• Jilly
    last year

I was being very corny. 😁

My inspiration was that Williams Sonoma parody site bb mentioned. That was always so funny.