Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heather_lent

Is expensive cabinet hardware worth the extra cost?

B L
last year

I know, you get what you pay for. But i find that to be more true with some things than others.
I have only ever been able to afford pulls from Amazon, which to my eyes looked great.
But now I'm Ina position to spend slightly more on pulls. Are the $30/pop pulls on Rejuvenation significantly better than a $10/pop pull?
If relevant: I'm shopping for gold toned/brushed brass cabinet pulls to contrast against my BM Wrought Iron cabinets. I want something that feels good in my hand and looks like beautiful but understated "cabinet jewelry."
Thanks in advance!

Comments (36)

• aziline
    last year

I do think you can tell a difference between lower end and mid / higher-mid range. Beyond that it's a matter of what you want to spend. I would avoid plastic pulls look like metal (low end) and buy real metal ones.

• B L
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, Aziline. What do you consider lower end? $10/per? And what do you consider mid to higher-mid?

Are there any brands you particularly like?

• B L
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, Mcarrol. That is great advice. I just ordered a few samples.

• badgergal
    last year

I bought reasonably priced hardware for my cabintes 11 years ago and they look as good as the day they were installed. I am glad that I did not buy more expensive hardware. My pulls are Hickory Hardware. They have so many options, sizes and finishes. They are available on many online sites and at some big box stores. I actually got a very good price on mine from a local cabinet hardware specialty store.

I think its best to look at Hickory Hardwares website first to see all the different pulls they have. You can search by style, finish, size etc. if you see something you like then you can search for the best price on various online sites

Here are a couple examples from Hickory Hardwares website in gold/brushed golden brass

https://hickoryhardware.com/products/10-pack-5-1-16-inch-128mm-karat-pull

https://hickoryhardware.com/products/160mm-veranda-pull

https://hickoryhardware.com/products/10-pack-5-1-16-inch-128mm-forge-cabinet-pull-h076702

• houssaon
    last year

My hardware is Amerock. I like it a lot. Nice finish and weight. Shop Amerock

• B L
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, badgergal. 

Does your name mean you are a UW-Madison alum? I have a ton of badgers in my family. :)

I really like the second option you sent. I will order a family today. I'd never heard of Hickory Hardware. Thanks for the recommendation!

• B L
    Original Author
    last year

*Order a sample :)

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hardware Resouces has a gorgeous finish called Satin Bronze...not too bronze, not to gold or yellow. I sell a ton of it and it's very affordable and great quality. They have other styles too...this one is more modern. But they also offer it in a traditional piece called BELCASTEL. They also come in several different lengths.

• B L
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, Kitchen Place. I just looked at their stuff. Looks really nice. Do you know if there stuff is sold directly online anywhere?

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    last year

I would try to find a local dealer. Where are you?

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    last year

I'm saying that because I think the online prices for this are tad high. I sell it for less than the online stores. Try a local dealer if you can find one in your area.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    last year

Here is a photo of their SBZ (satin bronze) finish next to their Brushed Gold finish. The brushed gold is beautiful too....just has tad more yellow tone to it.

• B L
    Original Author
    last year

I'm in the Washington DC region.

Unfortunately, I tested positive for Covid yesterday, so I'm quarantining for the next five days and need to get moving on pulls and tile in order to not fall too behind on kitchen progress. :(

So, online retailers are my only option right now.

• B L
    Original Author
    last year

Those are gorgeous, btw. They look heavy and expensive.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    last year

Awww get better soon! There are lots of online retailers for Jeffrey Alexander hardware....do a search for that and you'll find them!

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    last year

ps pretty sure Amazon has them too

• B L
    Original Author
    last year

Found them on Amazon. Thanks!

• faftris
    last year

Not that I m encouraging spending money that you might not want to spend, but just remember how many years you will be looking at the hardware and the wear-and-tear that it will experience. Once the holes are drilled, it is very difficult to replace the handles with something else you like better. Mine cost about $15 each, so they were probably middle grade. I did whatever I could to find them for a cheaper price, but I could not.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    last year

Here in the Midwest, $2 to $5 is considered to be the lower end for cabinet hardware (like what you find in stock at box stores). $6 to $12 is middle of the road and $12+ and over is higher end. I've had expensive, higher end cabinet hardware and I've had mid-grade...both functioned fine for years. I would only pay the higher end for the design/look only.

• B L
    Original Author
    last year

Faftris, I'm really glad you said that.

I've been thinking about hardware as something completely replaceable that I can swap out once I'm sick of it (like jewelery), but if the hole location on hardware isn't standard (because of course they're not, why would that be easy?) then we'll have to close up the holes with wood filler and redrill. Ugh.

I'll keep that in mind.  Thanks!

• latifolia
    last year

You will notice the heft when you hold the samples, but once they are installed, it's much less noticeable.

• artemis78
    last year

Agreed that samples are key. A bunch of the online hardware sites offer free returns exactly for this reason. There is a difference, but not all expensive hardware is actually better and not all cheap hardware is cheap. We did use Rejuvenation, but it was not $30 a pull then (!!) and I have found the quality on other items there has dropped since Williams-Sonoma bought them—not sure if hardware has been affected. I noticed the difference most for things like our cabinet latches, where theirs operated much more smoothly than two cheaper versions. The finish quality was also better on some (but not all) of the mid-priced options.

I agree on sticking to standard sizes to keep your options open in the future, too. And feel better, OP!

• B L
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, Artemis!

Now googling cabinet latches :)

• artemis78
    last year

Out of curiosity I just looked at the Rejuv site to see what our pulls cost now. When I bought them, the list was $10 and they were on sale for $9. The equivalent pull is $19 today. Some of that is no doubt inflation--I got ours in 2010--but some of it is also just paying for the name, I think. Definitely worth looking around to see what other similar things are out there.

• chispa
    last year

I've bought some knobs from Rocky Mountain Hardware for 2 houses. They are in the $50 range, but I love the design, so I felt it was worth it for the powder room and master bathroom vanity.

Photo with RMH Quatrafoil knobs in my previous house with the vanity I designed. I think they were worth the extra cost for the unique design. Solid bronze with a lovely organic feel to them.

For the house we just built I did the same RMH knobs in the MB and powder, but I had way too many cabinets in the rest of the house to stay at that price point for hardware. I used knobs/pulls from Top Knobs for the rest. Those were in the $8 - 22 range depending on size.

It was easy to talk myself into splurging when I was remodeling one room at a time in previous houses, but harder to justify when I needed 211 knobs/pulls, all at once, for the new build!!

• larry_sokola
    last year

I am using these cabinet pulls in my kitchen remodel. I have light "greige" Shaker style cabinets, black stainless appliances and faucet, Calcutta Laza quartz countertop, "Truffle" color Blanco sink, and medium light hardwood floors. The pendant lights over the island match the satin bronze color cabinet pulls.

• larry_sokola
    last year

• B L
    Original Author
    last year

Chispa, those are so beautiful! Just perfect.

• B L
    Original Author
    last year

I bet that's a lovely combination, Larry!

• B L
    Original Author
    last year

Anyone know if backplates serve a functional purpose or are they just pretty?

• faftris
    last year

They protect the cabinet from scratches from your fingernails, when you grab the handles. I've had them and also have not had them. I think they are considered a little old-fashioned-looking.

• B L
    Original Author
    last year

Ah, that makes sense. Thank you. I think they are gorgeous. I didn't even know they existed until s minute ago and now I'm obsessed. :)

• chispa
    last year

FYI, backplates will make it harder to change out the hardware down the road, if that is important to you. The cabinet will get marked where the backplate sits and you might get fading of your stain/paint that will then become obvious when you remove the backplate at a later date.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

Heather, I think I showed you pics on another post . my island is Wrought Iron.

i went w/Cosmas from Amazon (I needed 64 pulls, so spending a few thousand on handles seemed a bit much! lmao)

With the contractors pack, I think I paid about $85 for 20 handles.

Horrible iphone pics, but here they are against Wrought Iron. (also notice I painted the outlet cover the same color. get the wood cover and have it painted. use a black or dark gray outlet)

they did come in longer sizes (which really go up in price with places like Rejuvenation) but I wanted the double handle look on my longer drawers.

On the pantry cabs I did go w/the 128mm size.

This is Rejuvenation, a similar look, for $39 each.

Cosmas,,diff styles.

Similar, in the black.

Rejuvenation Trask, $48 each

Have you ever considered Aliexpress? they have great deals on handles.

Here is the link for almost identical handles like above. $7.50 each.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2255800970186420.html

I ordered a few of these handles (slightly diff) from aliexpress and was surprised at how well made, and heavy there were. Places like rejuvenation probably buy the handles from these oversea places and mark them up for their sales.

All you're doing is cutting out the middle man!

I've also ordered many other household items from them, including my brass drain cover for the shower.

for example, these are some samples I ordered from aliexpress just to compare.

I used the crystal knobs on two of my door, and got the crystal handles for my closet cabinets

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2251832641029027.html

(these are no longer avail from the seller I ordered from)

You can't belive the quality and weight of these two. They are dense, very well made, and look amazing IRL. Less than $10 each too! The cost to buy them retail? Over $75 each.

you like these? smaller size is about $2. larger $10.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802130755061.html

The handles similar to mine, in a longer size, are here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256803254008157.html

some other styles:

about $5. Zinc alloy/stainless steel.

Some are actually heavy brass.

don't forget to upgrade your outlets too. people always forget about these. (and they also sell them at Ali)

• B L
    Original Author
    last year

Beth, thank you! I don't know why I'm just seeing your post. I've been too scared to try AliExpress. I figured it would be bad Amazon quality. I will definitely give them a try. I did find a handle that I really like on Amazon, but those brass outlet covers are beautiful. And I'm still on the hunt for dining room pendants.

Thank you again for your detailed post-- your kitchen is definitely an inspiration for me!