Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gabecascadia

Help With Layout of Walk-in Closet (10.5'x6.5')

Gabe Cascadia
last year
last modified: last year

Need some ideas for how to lay out our walk-in. Is there enough space to have dresser drawers, hanging rods, and/or shelves along both of the long walls? What's the most efficient way to use the space? Should hanging rods be along one wall and drawers/shelves be along the opposite wall so there is ample room down the middle? If we double up hanging rods, what are standard heights above the floor for each rod? How deep should drawers and shelves be? We are in the process of building this house right now. If I'm going to custom build the closet, is there anything I should have the builder do like add blocking before hanging the drywall?

As for what we will use the closet for:

This is what he needs.

-6 linear feet of hanging rod for shirts and jackets

-Shelving for 1 dozen sweaters

-Shelving for 3 dozen folded t-shirts

-Shelving for two dozen folded pants

-Two drawers for underwear and pajamas

-Two drawers for socks

-One drawer for handkerchiefs, belts, and misc. items

-Place for six pairs dress shoes

This is what she needs.

-8+ linear feet of hanging rod for shirts and blouses

-2 linear feet of hanging rod for dresses

-Shelving for 2 dozen folded pants

-Shelving for 1 dozen sweaters

-Two drawers for unfolded tops

-Two drawers for unfolded bottoms

-Three drawers for underwear and pajamas

-Two drawers for socks

-Place for one dozen pairs of shoes

Comments (19)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

Are you considering dresser(s) in the bedroom?

Where will the bed go?

Not sure how those stairs work.

• Gabe Cascadia
    Original Author
    last year

No dressers in the Bedroom.

The bed goes against the wall shared with the bathroom.

That's a door that provides access to under the stair landing (storage space), not a door between the stairs and bedroom.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last year

You have very specific questions and probably could get better answers if you retained the services of a closet organizing company, like California Closets or the Container Store.

• 3onthetree
    last year

Since your closet is open when you walk by and serves as circulation to the bathroom, you may want to consider fully enclosed "wardrobe" style closet systems rather than open hanging rods. Also, about 30" for a walkway on a double-sided closet is functionally livable, not optimum, but a bit tight visually considering the opening doesn't account for a double-sided closet.

Also, your proposed bed location, unless it is a twin size, will be very tight against an 8' wall that should also leave space along the window wall, and so your face lines up with the door when laying on your pillow. Consider both Diana and Mark's advice. And consider moving the under-stair storage door, which opens to a half-height landing, to behind your bedroom door where it is full height.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

To start there is not enough space to have hanging on both sides , as for a dresser it needs to be too shallow to really work Your closet is not big enough for all you want in there .IMO this is space not really designed for a walkin since it does not allow for storsge on both sides unless on side is 12" deep thta might work if you did cubbies for all the folded stuff they could even be 18" and then you would have a nice size walkway Definately Marks plan for entry from the bedroom . Then hanging space all down onwe wall and across the back

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    last year

This is a 72.5" between drywall wide master closet (his, hers is 96") with a 36" wide window.

Full hanging left side, 12" shelves right side. Custom site built.

Tighter than I would do in a "for sale" situation but usable.

Your extra few inches are valuable.

2021 Carmichael Custom · More Info

• bpath
    last year

Under the stairs, instead of one door to a closet, consider doors all along the bedroom wall opening to shelves, drawers, and some hanging. I’m not quite clear on what is going on with the stairs.

Mark’s plan provides more storage in both the closet and the bathroom.

• LH CO/FL
    last year

Mark's plan is definitely the better option -- more usable closet space and better traffic flow, and it nicely separates the bathroom from all your clothing.

And, "she" needs a lot more shoes. :)

• bpath
    last year

I’m not a shoe maven, but I have a sudden urge to get rid of some shoes. Way more than a dozen.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

"Way more than a dozen."

What will she wear for the other 353 Days?

(for all you shoe mavens)

• dan1888
    last year

I'd add a hanging rod or two stacked etc. at the end wall of the closet.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

Our closet is about 9x5.3 and we tried to get as much in as we could and still be able to stand in it. Here are some images. Realistically there is no way hanging could have been on both walls. It’s about choosing wisely what you get installed. For sure hire a company. We are very pleased.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

Not shown in here I realize now is we have drawers where is shows lower shelves. Also along the long wall. We do still have a dresser in bedroom too.

• Gabe Cascadia
    Original Author
    last year

Mark's plan is definitely a good one, but moving the bed can't happen. We realize it's a little tight with a queen bed, but we are okay with that and can make it work. She might not be a shoe maven but she would tell you this is the most important room in the house because it is also where she will do yoga. The 8'x8' clear space at the foot of the bed is the yoga space. Hence, where I've provided a sliding door that opens up to the forest and the large floor-to-ceiling east facing window with a mountain view. It's her retreat, and we can't mess with it.

We weren't planning on having free standing dressers in the bedroom but I'm really loving the idea of built-ins under the stairs. This is such a great idea and why I love bringing questions to this site! I would want to keep the access to the storage space under the stair landing but the rest of that wall and the short wall next to the door would be available to use. Maybe some shelving on the short wall next to the door and two sets of drawers on the long wall? Here is a cross-section of that wall showing where the storage access is and where the stairs and stair landing are located behind the wall.

• PRO
  • Jennifer K
    last year

only partially tongue in cheek... but what about a queen Murphy bed? Then she could have almost the whole room for yoga when you weren't sleeping.

• cpartist
    last year

I did the opposite of what Mark just suggested.

Personally in your rendition with it being tight up against the bathroom wall, I would not be happy hearing the noises in the middle of the night or being the one who would have to walk clear around the bed in the middle of the night, trying not to bang my shins against the bed.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

It is a new house, why can the bed not move?

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida