Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flintridge

John Davis Rose

Hello,

I've always loved the john davis roses but we are facing east and get morning sun. Would this be insufficient sun for a john davis rose? I currently have another rose bush that I planted this year abouta month and a half ago in the front of the house that appears to be doing well.

Thanks!

Jo

Comments (37)

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    last year

How many hours total, would you say?

• Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)
    Original Author
    last year

Let me count tomorrow and I'll let you know :)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    last year

Where are you located, Jo? That will help advisors.

• Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)
    Original Author
    last year

Im located in Manitoba, Canada.

• Bob Mac Zone 4 Montreal, Canada
    last year
    last modified: last year

That should be enough, mine gets 3/4 hours of sun, maximum. It sees a lot of light but it's hsaded by the buildings.

Canadian explorer roses in general are quite shade tolerant. They can trhive in place where wimpy sun loving roses, sulk :)

• rosecanadian
    last year

Yes, mine grows in very little sun...it does well. :) I'm in zone 3b....Alberta. It doesn't get very tall, and I don't grow it like a climber.

• Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)
    Original Author
    last year

Oh nice!! That's definitely encouraging :) Your rose bush is beautiful. Of course today is overcast so I haven't been able to count how many hours it gets. But it probably is a good 4 hours of direct sun.

• Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Bob! Well as Canadians we are pretty hardy,lol I guess this translates to our roses too.

• rosecanadian
    last year

Jo - Thanks! :) :) that's probably what mine gets too. :)

last year

@Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3) Yep, our Canadian roses grow in the most inhospiptable places. I've seen them growing almost everywhere, and I won't hesistate growing them in part shade.

Another types of roses that are excellant for your climate are Canadian Heritage Roses,rhe likes of Priaire Peace, Isabella Skinner and many more. Now those are even hardier than most of the Explorer series...

• Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for the suggestions Bob! Very helpful. Any idea what kind of rose this may be? I can't quite figure out what they are.

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    last year

Hey, I just planted two of these. One at my mother's house and one at mine.

last year

@Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)

You can find an exhaustive list here:

https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=3.9976&tab=2

These were produced before the Explorer programs....

Some of them you can find here;

https://www.cornhillnursery.com/Roses.html

• vickysgarden
    last year

John Davis is loaded with blooms this year as always! In zone 5 northern Illinois it is for me extremely reliable and prolific and is a big free standing bush.

• Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)
    Original Author
    last year

Wow Vickysgarden, that's spectacular!! Very pretty.

• rosecanadian
    last year

I agree with Jo - that's spectacular!!! Insanely good!!! I'm in awe!!

• vickysgarden
    last year

You can totally attribute it to the rose and not the gardener! My other roses do not put on a show like this! I first saw John Davis at the Chicago Botanic gardens where it was absolutely covering itself from top to bottom with blooms and stopping people in their tracks to stare. It is just a great rose for our cold climate.

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    last year

Holy mackerel ! What a display.

• rosecanadian
    last year

I think that my picture is probably more in line with what Jo should expect, because of our shared lack of sun. I sure wish mine would look like yours!! My goodness!! :) :)

last year

@rosecanadian, I thought it was a question of hardiness that kept yours small. Mine with 3-4 hrs of sun became too big, and frankly it was overwhelming (almost guady) when it flowered, in our small garden. So, I pruned it in such a way, (almost like a standard) to contain it. Now it's manageable, and it has weeping branches, when in flower.

One of the bonuses of shade (by trees) is that it protects to a certain extent the blooms from downpours...

• Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)
    Original Author
    last year

rosecanadian, Well if it gets to be the same size as yours, I would be very happy. I should ask, how often do you water your rose and how much do you give it?

• Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)
    Original Author
    last year

I picked up my John Davis rose today and wow! It’s much larger and more beautiful than I imagined. I also bought a purple pavement rose. I saw it and just knew I needed to have it. Very happy with my purchases. Here’s hoping they take!

• portlandmysteryrose
    last year

Beautiful roses, everyone! I’m a former MN resident enjoying all the gorgeous blooms on these tough, cold climate cultivars. @Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3), I started growing Rugosas in MN and fell in love with them along with Canadian Explorers. Rugosas are all over OR’s west side, too, all the way from this side of Mt. Hood to the beach. Purple Pavement is great! I am raising one from High Country Gardens for a friend who bought a beach house. Jo your new roses already look fantastic! @rosecanadian and @vickysgarden, your John Davises are breathtaking! Carol

• Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)
    Original Author
    last year

Good to hear! I've read so many good things about them since I got home from the nursery. They also grow in part-shade, which is great given that we're facing east. I can't wait to see more blooms emerge on it.

• rosecanadian
    last year

Bob - mine is also in a planter with no amendments. :) Could be the temperature that keeps mine small. Could also be the rootstock...multiflora. I'm glad it's small though. Although...I'd LOVE to have mine look like Vicky's!! Oh my!!

Jo, mine is in the front yard and I barely fertilize it or water it. Another reason why mine could be smaller. LOL I fertilize with different things in different years. But, this one is all by itself and doesn't get much. Holey cow!! Those are GREAT looking new roses! Good going in snagging those beauties! They'll do well for you. :) :)

last year

@rosecanadian, it's the planter. I am impressed that it roots can survive the cold. That's simply amazing! So it must be hardy to zone 2.

I though I post some photos of mine. Note how gracefully it weeps. To the left is Felicia, a hybrid musk.

• Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)
    Original Author
    last year

rosecanadian, Thanks!! I was very lucky as they had just received them and hadn't even brought them into the nursery yet so I got first pick. I'm hoping my grows large enough that I can train it onto a trellis in the front of my home.

Bob, what a spectacular rose, that's gorgeous! I just love the color of the pedals. Oh I love your fence too, what a nice design.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    last year

Bob, that does look amazed, but Im shocked Felicia survives in your zone. I neverhear her mentioned as a cold zone rose, although mine has been tip hardy for me. I lived in Montreal for many years and miss it still, even and sometimes especially the winters.😊

last year

Felicia survives quite fine. Some years better than others. I always have a couple of branches that manage thorugh winter. Mine is burried under 4/5 feet of snow. And often espcaes the spring cold snaps as that part of the garden loses it's snow cover last.

But for several year, I had another problem, something ate the buds. So, I have to spray it everyspring with neem oil and it's been flowering ever since.

I had Buff Beauty and Cornelia too, but exchanged them for Chloris and Priairie Peace.

In retropsect it's fun too have some tender roses, but in the long run, I prefer roses that can fend for themselves :)

Me too, I love Montreal winters. I don't mind, cold or snow but when it rains on snow, ugh, that's not fun. But seeing the ever green stems of John Davis or the orange hips of Semi-pena or rosa glauca in the snow, reminds me that spring will come and roses would abound and fill the garden with their scent...

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    last year

It is that wistful hope for spring that keeps one going through the long nights, but they can be so romantic also, and it makes the the break that much more special. Although its also a good time to work on other projects and xcountry ski!

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    last year

For those that grow both, which is better, John Davis or John Cabot?

• rosecanadian
    last year

Bob - so beautiful!! :) :) I love how you've grown them as beautiful climbers!!

Jo - good luck with creating a beautiful climber. :) :) It's going to be amazing!

L Clark - I grew both in Fort McMurray many years ago. John Davis is better IMO...by a lot!

• Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)
    Original Author
    last year

@rosecanadian Thanks! It's blooming like crazy right now which is great. I can't wait for it to grow and climb.

last year

@rosecanadian, @Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)

One of our neighbour's has a John Davis against a brick wall. It's 10' X 10'. I realy wouldn't want that.

@L Clark (zone 4 WY) I haven't grown John Cabot. But another neighbor had one of them. It was handsome shrub with tall arching limbs. The flowers had some scent. I would say, if you want it big go for John Davis if you want it tall with arching limbs and a darker pink,go for Cabot.

If you want another climber go for Felix LeClerc.

• rosecanadian
    last year

Jo - yes, it's a rose that doesn't need coddling and will bloom really well. Repeat bloom, for me, wasn't as good...but I don't mind. Maybe if I fertilized it a bit...it would rebloom better.

Bob - 10' X 10'...yeah, that's a little too much. :) :)

last year

@rosecanadian, John Davis only reblooms with maturity. And is more scattered blooms. In all honesty, with our short growing seasons, it's more than enough. I have papver that flower for three days and they go dormant, untll next year.

@L Clark (zone 4 WY), another thing to consider is that John Davis is almost thronless. Cabot is thorny beast :)