Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_mn_z3b

I never met a big tree I didn't like.

Have any of your favorite big tree pics? Join in!

Quercus virginiana: Near MT. Pleasant South Carolina.

Comments (31)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

Linden.

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

It's not huge but a decent size. And not all that common to see a mature copper beech in my neck of the woods. Located at Bloedel Reserve, a private garden just a few minutes drive away.

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

I have finally got Covid, so I'm sitting here bored rigid and aching all over. Time to inflict tree pix on you.

Horse Chestnut

Box elder

Prunus lusitanica

London Plane

Churchyard yew

Copper Beech

Monterey Cyprus

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Take care of yourself Floral!

Just happened to have been at Itasca state part a week ago.

Ex-State Champion White pine Pinus strobus.

A windstorm broke a portion off the top, dethroning it.

Still a nice tree >5-1/2ft. dia. dbh. ~100 ft. tall.

• bengz6westmd
    last year

Me and county champ (Washington Co, MD) cottonwood. Close to 6 ft diameter.

Northern red oak, county champ (Washington Co, MD)

I especially like floral's yew.

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked bengz6westmd
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

Don’t know how old that yew is but the church dates from 680.

• bengz6westmd
    last year

Washington Co MD notable Ginkgo Rose Hill Cemetery

Allegany Co MD champ osage orange in spring

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    last year

Old growth hemlocks.

tj

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
  • ViburnumValley central KY Bluegrass z6
    last year

We have a few in the Bluegrass...

Former national champion Bur Oak (Quercus macrocarpa) at Airdrie Stud near Midway, in 2011...

Big ol' White Oak (Quercus alba) in Frankfort...

A fine sentinel Blue Ash (Fraxinus quadrangulata) outstanding in its field near Viburnum Valley...

The current national champion Shingle Oak (Quercus imbricaria) in Louisville...

A really grand Ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba) in Cave Hill Cemetery, Louisville...

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked ViburnumValley central KY Bluegrass z6
  • maackia
    last year

I've stood under that Ginkgo at Cave Hill. Spectacular!

Here's the champion Quercus ellipsoidalis at Morning Wood Gardens.

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked maackia
  • Babka NorCal 9b
    last year

Neener, neener, neener!

Visit California!

-Babka

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked Babka NorCal 9b
  • BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    last year

I been to the big redwoods. No pictures, back in the film days. :-)

Nice tree, thanks for posting.

• shaxhome
    last year

Australia's mountain ash (Eucalyptus regnans).

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked shaxhome
  • lizzieswellness
    last year

These are great!

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked lizzieswellness
  • bengz6westmd
    last year

The Louisville ginkgo is beyond belief. Wonder how the blue ash has escaped the EAB?

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    last year

Nice Quercus ellipsoidalis at a park in Staples MN.

• bengz6westmd
    last year

Tall bitternut hickory Bedford Springs Resort, PA.

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    last year

I believe these to be Eastern redcedar (juniperus virginiana) on Jekyll Island SE Georgia.

And Historic Live Oak (Q. virginiana) said to be over 450 years old in the same area.

• arbordave (SE MI)
    last year

Great photos - VV's ginkgo, maackia's northern pin oak, and BillMN's live oak are especially impressive.

Like beng, I wonder if EAB has reached VV's blue ash yet? Of the native ash species, blue ash appears to have the best "staying power" when EAB is present, although I've seen a few in my area that have been fairly heavily damaged.

Bitternut hickories grow well here and get pretty big (comparable to beng's), maybe I can get a photo in the next week or two. Pecan is another hickory that attains sizable dimensions - photo below (from several years ago) of the canopy of a very nice pecan in Pigeon Forge TN. The adjacent property was being developed - hopefully they made efforts to protect the tree.

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked arbordave (SE MI)
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

I am in awe of floral's yew and VV's gingko!! Both are magnificent specimens!!

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • arbordave (SE MI)
    last year

Agree with gardengal - floral's yew is quite the venerable old specimen!

Edit: I somehow missed Shax's photo of Eucalyptus regnans ("tallest of all flowering plants" per Wikipedia) - Wow, just magnificent!

On a walk this afternoon I passed this big old red oak with a dbh close to 5'

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    last year

Ditto on florals yew.

Metasequoia glyptostroboides

Visitor center of Jack Daniels distillery,

Lynchburg Tn.

• bengz6westmd
    last year

Sugar maple, Mercersburg, PA cemetery.

Run-of-the-mill American sycamore, wait for it -- on my lot adjacent to border stream. About 115 ft tall. Not sure, but guess around 70-80 yrs old.

last year

Since we are stepping out...

The wonderful old Swamp White Oak (Quercus bicolor) growing happily by the leaky water fountain on the Great Lawn in Shawnee Park, Louisville KY.

The immensely broad Bur Oak (Quercus macrocarpa) dwarfing the large residence outside Bloomington IL.

The "Marker Tree" out on the Illinois prairie, demonstrating Native American ways to give directions.

The Eisenhower Loblolly Pine (Pinus taeda) at Augusta National Golf Course in 2008, now haunting golfers no more.

Along the Cathedral Trees Trail in Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park near Orick CA...

Spouse and nephew, for scale.

If a human fell in the woods, would the trees notice?

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last year

Must also ditto on florals yew and wish floral improved health.

debra

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked djacob Z6a SE WI
  • BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    last year

Boone/Hall plantation, part of the 'Avenue of Oaks'. 3/4-mile-long driveway lined with massive live oaks.

View from the house.

From what I understand, the Avenue of Oaks was used in the movie 'Gone with the Wind' when they showed buggies approaching the movie plantation 'Tarra'.

last year

@bengz6westmd asked about Blue Ash (Fraxinus quadrangulata) and its relative resistance to Emerald Ash Borer. I have not followed the saga of EAB progress through the genera since my job altered from parks to multimodal transportation facilities (!), but observation since it arrived on Kentucky's scene about 15 years ago indicates White Ash and Green Ash tend to be the target.

It may be that there is a bounty of White/Green Ash candy to consume, and the Blue Ash skirts by as the Broccoli or Asparagus of EAB's diet. I don't really care why, but I am happy that many old pre-settlement denizens of the central Kentucky area are still with us, watching over the fields and providing historic context to Bluegrass land and life.

I was fortunate to be able to observe and nominate this Louisville behemoth, and it was listed as national champion in 2009.

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    last year

Not mammoth in size but today I ran across a stand with a high percentage of mature sugar maples (Acer saccharum) along the bike trail between Bowlus and Holdingford MN. Which to me is not something you run across just anywhere in mid central Minnesota. The first 3 miles it was your run of the mill mixed forest, poplar, oaks, red maple, pines, then all of a sudden a half mile of nothing but sugar bush. The area is well within it's native range.

I didn't dare walk off the trail, lots of Poison ivy this time of year, so this is the best I got for pics.

• arbordave (SE MI)
    last year

BillMN - looks like a great place for a hike (if not for the PI). Maybe you can get closer for some photos this winter when the leaves are gone.

Though not as large as some of the silver maples on the same property, I thought this tree was still notable since you don't see many green ash this size around here anymore due to EAB. I assume this tree is being treated - it's at the Ford House in Grosse Pointe Shores, MI

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    last year

'BillMN - looks like a great place for a hike (if not for the PI). Maybe you can get closer for some photos this winter when the leaves are gone.'

We thought it'd be fun to go back there for the Fall color change. Depends on if it's still bike weather by then. We'll see. :)