Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Let’s just keep talking about wedding outfits

Sueb20
last year

Attending a wedding in Sept., I think I’m going to wear this dress. It is navy, not black.

Navy shoes? I’m thinking sandals with a heel. I have a silvery pair, but is that too dressy for this dress?

My second choice dress is this one. Easy enough because I have black heels. And it’s a little more forgiving if I end up feeling bloaty (the dress above has zero stretch and the waist juuuust fits).

And either way, I think I need to buy myself a new necklace/pendant….

Comments (73)

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year
    last modified: last year

Not a chance, Mtn. I love your style. Plus your advisors are the right demographic.

Sueb20 thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Irish2
    last year

I like both dresses but the navy is better suited for a wedding along with the 2nd shoe in navy. Navy is a color i gravitate to being a ” winter” and pairs well with my silver strands (aka Covid gray)

Sueb20 thanked Irish2
  • Feathers11
    last year

I like the first dress better.

I'll dissent and say the second shoe looks like it's trying to match the first dress, and that's not a look I would want. I am pro-nude shoe if it's dressy enough for the first dress. I'm neutral on metallics--it totally depends upon the style of shoe and what you're pairing it with, imo.

Serious question for you all: Do you always plan for what you'll wear to an event that is months away?

Sueb20 thanked Feathers11
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Answer- I start thinking about it when I am aware of the event. Esp. if the event were in say, late August; by then you cannot buy any August clothes.

Sueb20 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • rubyclaire
    last year

Joining the chorus for the first dress in navy. And yes to a nude shoe!

I have two weddings coming up - one in October and one in March and I am already thinking/shopping for dress options. It will take me that long to find something I like, is event appropriate and looks good on me! For me, shoes are the easy part

Sueb20 thanked rubyclaire
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    last year

I have a portion of my 2nd hand wardrobe for the life I want to lead, so the minute I know there is an occasion to tap into it, I start thinking about my options. And I’ve given myself permission to over-dress for just about any occasion!

Sueb20 thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • maddielee
    last year

Serious question for you all: Do you always plan for what you'll wear to an event that is months away?”

I do not always. I also will never win anything named ”Best Dressed”.

I do always have a few somethings in my closet that can be worn for most any occasion. Which takes the pressure off.

I also never remember what other people wear. So I figure people dont remember if I wear the same outfit numerous times.

Sueb20 thanked maddielee
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

I never plan this far in advance unless I’m desperately looking for diversions from Real Life.

Looks like I should try on some nude shoes.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

I plan the outfit the second I know I am accepting the invitation- sometimes having a reason to wear the outfit nudges the acceptance of the invitation (no, not really, but I could imagine such a thing happening.)

Sueb20 thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • hhireno
    last year

I attended a wedding and the 6 attendants all had a different colored ”nude” shoe. I don't even remember their dresses, just a boring rainbow of shades of nude shoes.

And the cookie table, I remember the ”Pittsburgh Cookie Table” and thinking I need to attend more wedding here.

eta: as usual, my typing is wonky here and I’m not fixing it. Sorry, not sorry.

Sueb20 thanked hhireno
  • Tina Marie
    last year

TBH, I actually have never liked (nor owned) navy shoes, but I LOVE that second pair you showed Sue! Even though I'm short and they might lengthen my legs, I just can't go for nude shoes. I'll only wear casual white shoes too - I'm funny like that! I think you can have your own style. I kind of march to the beat of a different drummer. : )

Sueb20 thanked Tina Marie
  • Irish2
    last year

I like shoe in nude too. My neutral was always more on the taupe spectrum.

I do admire nude shoes on others…silver

not so much.

Sueb20 thanked Irish2
  • salonva
    last year

I never cared for nude shoes in the past, at all. Lately though I think they look really nice and I am casually in the market for a pair. I do have fancy navy wedges as well as fancy black and silver wedges that really serve me well in that I can walk and dance in them :) Nude would be so versatile and it does look fresh. on the hunt for comfy but cool nude shoes.

Sueb20 thanked salonva
  • lisaam
    last year

We have a july wedding in the Keys to attend and I’m pulling from my several years back storage flat metallic sandals and a sort of tarnished gold dress. i expect the weather to be sticky as much of it may be outdoors.

I plan to be as comfortable as possible

Sueb20 thanked lisaam
  • bbstx
    last year

Navy dress. Scalloped shoes. If you indulge a bit too much between now and the wedding, Spanx has a line (Assets) they sell at Target. Not uncomfortable. I wish I could tell you I know this from reading reviews. Unfortunately, it is a personal observation.

Sueb20 thanked bbstx
  • ratherbesewing
    last year

I have moved on from the MOG dress and in search of a rehersal dinner (luncheon in my case) dress. And for hhirano, the planning of the Cookie Table is in full planning mode

• hhireno
    last year

Lucky you! The favors at that wedding were take out delivery boxes that could be filled with cookies. Maybe that’s the standard at cookie table weddings? So much better than a tchotchke (which I always leave behind). My box was emptied the next day on the 4 hour drive home. 😁

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

I’ve never heard of a cookie table but now I want one.

Rehearsal dress, ohhhh well I’ve bought enough dresses this year I hope one of them will work. Since they have 15 in their wedding party, the rehearsal dinner will end up being the size of a small wedding.

• localeater
    last year

I love the first dress, and agree with the nude shoe. Am I the only one who thinks the dress would be improved with a belt?

Sueb20 thanked localeater
  • bbstx
    last year

@Sueb20 have you found a place yet to wear that fantastic floral embroidered dress? Although I really like the navy dress above, the floral embroidered one is by far my favorite of all of the dresses I‘ve seen on all of the threads about dresses.

Sueb20 thanked bbstx
  • Irish2
    last year

@lisaam Great outfit and those shoes are not what I picture when someone mentions ”silver shoes ”

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

Local — the dress has a ”kind of” belt that’s hard to see in that photo. It’s kind of like a grosgrain ribbon.

bb I do love that dress…on the hanger. On me, I don’t know, it just didn’t feel right. Maybe I will take it to a tailor and see if the skirt can be de-pouffed and then I could wear it to the rehearsal dinner (the one for my DS). I think it’s too summery for a late Sept wedding in New England.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    last year

Oooh, would you reshare that dress? i need to see it here!😉

• Tina Marie
    last year

@Sueb20 how did they end up with 15 in their wedding party (odd number)? I”m just curious. In my wedding, we each had 6 attendants.

No belt, other than whats on the dress.

Do you know where the rehearsal dinner will be?

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

Avert your eyes from the metallic shoes. Just grabbed heels from my closet for trying on the dress. The skirt is even wider when viewed from the front. But it’s a $500 dress that I got for $84 on poshmark so it’s worth trying some tailoring.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

Back to the navy dress — hope this isnt too confusing as I go back and forth between two different weddings! — I think the sweet navy dress needs a dose of edginess and I had been eyeballing a few things at this shop. Everything is on sale this weekend so I ordered this pendant.

• lisaam
    last year

I do like that floral dress on you. the pendant above is nice—- even edgier worn as earrings:)

Sueb20 thanked lisaam
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

Tina, tossing out some old “rules” — he has 7, she has 8. And one of his is female! She will wear a black dress to match the tuxes.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Like your new necklace!

I can't explain why, but I might prefer a version of that necklace more like the one shown, more of a "garland " effect than a pendant?

Sueb20 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Tina Marie
    last year

Awww that”s neat that he will have a female!! No rules, i was obsessed with how pictures would look. It will be s beautiful wedding for sure.

Sueb20 thanked Tina Marie
  • maddielee
    last year

I do like the floral dress, my daughter would have called it a Happy Dress when she was little.

Her way of labeling clothes (still used at times): Happy, Sad, Old Lady, hippie, Worker, Groovy and ugly.

Sueb20 thanked maddielee
  • eld6161
    last year

Absolutely, have the dress tailored. The top fits and flatters. From the side view no stomach evident at all!

Worth it to trim it down a bit.

Sueb20 thanked eld6161
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

Ha! Eld, I don’t have much of a belly. All my weight is below the waist. And in my flappy upper arms. Maybe that’s why I’m overly sensitive to anything that makes my lower half look even wider than it is. Either way, I will see what magic a tailor might do.

Mtn: garland? Oh, do you mean like the necklace the model is wearing?

ETA oh yeah, duh, you did say ”like the one shown”…funny, I was thinking I did not like her necklace!

• Irish2
    last year

The floral dress looks great on you as it draws attention to your small waist and toned midsection …. i.e. ”no muffin top”

Sueb20 thanked Irish2
  • ratherbesewing
    last year

Maybe the tailor can remove some of the volume from the floral dress? If the fabric is stiff, the skirt holds the puff/pouf.

Sueb20 thanked ratherbesewing
  • lizbeth-gardener
    last year

A bit late to the party, but like the first dress and second pair of shoes. I, too, think a "garland" style necklace would do more for the neckline than a pendant, but I don't care for the square shapes of the necklace on the model.

Funny, when I read the title of this post I thought you were referring to the former chief of staff wanting to keep looking at his phone😂

Sueb20 thanked lizbeth-gardener
  • Arapaho-Rd
    last year

Sue, in my orig comment about the navy dress and shoe I was going to say "and I absolutely love the necklace the model is wearing with it too"

Maybe sold where the dress is from?

Sueb20 thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    last year

I think the floral dress is fabulous. I think you’ll lose something if you take volume out.

Sueb20 thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

I actually have one or two ”garland” type necklaces that could work, but since it’s 400 degrees out and I’m still avoiding real life, I like these. I am a jewelry wh-re and could shop for jewelry all day long.

And just on the side, not for any particular dress or occasion. Like, if anyone’s wondering what to get for my birthday.

• happy2b…gw
    last year

The pretty blue pendant reminded of this one I saw while browsing the other day. The Smithsonian usually has some interesting pieces.

Sueb20 thanked happy2b…gw
  • Feathers11
    last year

Sue, we have similar body shapes, and I understand why you're hesitant about the floral dress. Saying that, I do think you look wonderful in it--it's vibrant and fun. To me, it would be worth a visit to the tailor.

Sidenote thank you for those who responded to my question about planning in advance for what to wear for such events. I rarely plan for anything further than next weekend, unless it's an occasion where I'm more directly part of the celebration (such as MOB, birthday, immediate family wedding, etc.) I'm not a fashion dud, but I don't like shopping for clothes, although I enjoy threads like these for general ideas.

Sueb20 thanked Feathers11
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    last year

I’ve never mastered searching on Poshmark. They make it harder than it needs to be.

• bbstx
    last year

Spanish, I find Poshmark’s search pretty clunky, too.

• deegw
    last year

Getting caught up on this thread. I haven't thought of the cookie table in years!

At the weddings I've been to, the cookie table is often referred to as the Viennese table. A table loaded with desserts, often prepared by family members, is rolled out at the end of the wedding festivities with great fanfare. It's fun, I've only seen it at weddings with strong Italian connections.

• hhireno
    last year

One of the nicest weddings I attended was in Philly, and they had a Viennese Pastry Room. Not just a table, a room. 😍 A room outside the main reception room that had tables with the cut wedding cake, cookies, other pastries, make your own sundaes, and a coffee bar with liquers. Maybe more items, I was in a sugar haze.

Neither the Pittsburgh nor Philly wedding were Italian families. But any Italian heritage wedding I’ve attended did have a ton of cookies, that the aunties had been baking for weeks, in addition to wedding cake. They weren’t officially labelled (unlike the two weddings above) and were greatly enjoyed.

I mostly attend weddings for the dessert.

• maddielee
    last year

Poshmark…I guess it depends what you are searching for? This summer since I go almost no where, I’ve been wearing lots of skirts with white vee neck tee shirts (mostly from Costco.). I find full skirts look ok with my uniform shoe (white keds) or just white bobby socks.

Poshmark remembers my size, I search ”cotton midi skirts” , plenty to view in my size.

If I want a certain designer, I’ll search ”cotton midi skirt Lily Pulitzer” , a bunch come up.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    last year

I search designer, but unlike eBay and Tradesy, you have to search a sub category. Etsy is worse. For example, instead of searching Chanel/Womens Clothing, I can only search Chanel/dress. And then you still get a bunch if [not]Chanel/dress in the display. If I’m searching a designer, I want to see whats available in all categories. One if the many reasons I stick to selling on eBay.

• Lyban zone 4
    last year

Sue, i am loss. what happened to the beautiful earrings you ordered that i thought you were going to wear with the navy dress. fron Orsini i think. if you wear them you need no necklace or a simple solitaaire diamond or crystal pendant.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

Lyban, I am not surprised you’re confused because I’ve been talking about multiple weddings!

The earrings from an earlier post were for this dress, my MOG dress for early spring. No necklace, because there is a small ”diamond” bedazzlement already on the dress.

THIS navy dress is what I am wearing to a wedding in Sept.

And I ordered and received these navy shoes, and I like them so I’m wearing them. And I already have the exact shoes in silver to wear with the fuschia dress next spring. They are very comfortable.

I like the navy dress so much, I may wear it for the rehearsal dinner for DS’ wedding. The lace pattern is all heart shapes, which verges a bit on maybe-too-cutesy but it’s fairly subtle.