Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen_heskett

Need a fresh pair of eyes.

Karen Heskett
last year

These pictures are of my living room and dining room which are open to each other. I would love some ideas to improve the look. Thanks!

Comments (22)

• K R
    last year

Off the top of my head, a dining room usually doesn’t have a couch and chairs facing the dining table…is there a reason you have it set up that way?

• Rachel Lee
    last year

Edit. Remove photo screen at door- it closes in space. Remove sofa and chairs from dining area- unnecessary. Get the same rug in a larger size for the living room. Take down all the art and then rehang to focus on the fireplace and dining room credenzas. I like the pops of orange!

• Rachel Lee
    last year

Oh, and swap the fan over the dining table for a pendant.

• shari13
    last year
    last modified: last year

2 couches might look better in the LR facing each other. LR chairs are too far apart - need table between if you keep in that spot. Remove light kit on ceiling fan in LR - looks very old fashioned.

• salonva
    last year

Yes, I am confused with the couch and chairs in the dining area. I can't get a good feeling for how the living room is laid out but it looks like adequate seating to me as is.

I wonder if you could shifr the dining area further from the living area and see if you can have the 2 couches and 4 chairs (probably not all of them) in one area together? It does seem lika a very big bunch of living room furniture.

• Karen Heskett
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you everyone! One question, Rachael you said to take down the art and rehang. Do you mean no art over the fireplace and credenza?

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    last year

I believe Rachel means that your existing art is hung TOO HIGH.

• Karen Heskett
    Original Author
    last year

I do agree, there is an excess of furniture! As an explanation the house is small. No family room, the “great room” LR and DR are it for family gatherings, which if I’m honest don’t happen often. Here is another angle.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Beautiful wood floors!! Yes, larger rug is key. It will anchor your living room. Sell excess furniture. Buy a few folding chairs you can slip into closets and pull out when needed.

• Karen Heskett
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

All price points. Here are a couple. Just check Amazon, Cosco, Target etc.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

A new chandelier in living room would really take things up a notch. Also a “arc” lamp over piano would add lighting and function for reading music.

• Karen Heskett
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Flo!

• Amanda Smith
    last year

Can you create an L shape with the two sofas, get rid of those two chairs in the dining room that look like office furniture, move the piano into the dining room?

• Karen Heskett
    Original Author
    last year

I never thought about that! Wow! Do many things to consider, thanks!

• PRN
    last year

Your dining set looks very small for the space. After you remove the couch and two big chairs from the dining room you could fit a bigger table with more seating. If you buy two nice, comfortable upholstered dining chairs to use at the ends of the table they can be scooted to the living room for use as extra seating when you have company.

• salonva
    last year

Ohhh well that explains it ( and I totally understand about the large gatherings not happening much). For what it's worth, the furniture you do have is really very nice and your space is so nice too. ( I also downsized ifrom a very large home with lots of rooms and space-) I now only have one seating area. It really is adequate.

• Karen Heskett
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you PRN and salonva too. And salonva, I appreciate the compliments.

• Rachel Lee
    last year

Take down all the art and spread it out in one place, probably the floor. Then you can see what you have, easily measure, and choose spots for each. I would put the two horizontal pieces over the credenza and one of the colorful canvases over the mantle, for example.

• akimberleyew
    last year

just coming on to say that the wood flooring you have is so beautiful!!! I am not a pro like the others, but could you consider updating the paint color, changing the ceiling fans to chandeliers (or whatever style suits you), putting tall vases by the fireplace, moving the mirror so that it’s over the fireplace mantle, swapping out the white drapery for something with patterns / colors, moving the dining table so that it’s next to the window and then, if you want multiple seating areas, creating one opposite the window / dining area by putting the couch against the opposite wall and having the chairs face the couch? the seating furniture seems like it needs to be closer together if you want to facilitate conversation.

• Karen Heskett
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you so much Rachael and akimberleyew. I have spent the day moving things around to incorporate some of the ideas everyone has shared 🙏🏻

• Amanda Smith
    last year

Great! Please share the photos when you are done.