Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_454669215

Powder Room Paint & Vanity Dilema

Kitty B
last year

I love the tile I had installed! I dislike everything else.

The tile background seems really beige. I used Custom Building Products Fusion Pro in Haystack for the grout and it blended very well.

The room has no windows and looks dark, drab, and cavernous. I used Benjamin Moore Thunder on the walls and White Dove for the trim. The contrast with the trim is too stark. I would love advice on another paint color.

I purchased a vanity too deep and too narrow for the space. I will be having a vanity custom built and would love advice on style and color.

I would also like some direction on fixtures and finishes.

My design style leans traditional.

Thank you!

Comments (16)

• kandrewspa
    last year

I recommend you try BM Edgecomb Gray for the walls. It is lighter and less gray than Thunder. If you want something even lighter, try Soft Chamois. I like the color of the vanity currently in the room. It goes with the floor tile. A creamy white would also work. You can use brushed nickel or satin brass for the fixtures. After you get a vanity you like add some art and you'll be done.

Kitty B thanked kandrewspa
  • PRO
    Everything Home
    last year

You might look into getting a different vanity and mirror or painting the walls. Here are a few powder rooms we thought might help with your dilemma.

Down to Earth · More Info

Euro-Inspired Luxe Living · More Info

Aberdeen Living · More Info

Hard Working Haven · More Info

This Is My Happy Place · More Info

Warm Family Home · More Info

Urban-Modern Centerville Farmhouse · More Info

Home Is Where The "Hart" Is · More Info

• ptreckel
    last year

Can you post a photo of the tile? The color of the walls seems off. The vanity looks good. Warm vs. cool? I am not sure. Please post just the tile…..

Kitty B thanked ptreckel
  • Kitty B
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for making the time to address my dilemma and for all of the suggestions. I do plan on having another vanity built to better suit the space. I plan on having it span the with of the room. The tile is really restricting my paint/wall covering options. Perhaps is the Euro-Inspired Luxe Living is the best option.

• Jean
    last year

I think you should paint the walls darker, pick up the blue in the tile. A different mirror; bounce the light around. Is the only light a ceiling one? Can you post a picture?

Kitty B thanked Jean
  • Kitty B
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for taking the time to share your insights. I have two can lights in a nine foot ceiling. The Benjamin Moore Thunder made the room look like a cave and I'm hesitant to paint it another dark color.

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

Think "Jjewel box" not "cave." You'll need better lighting with 9' ceiling. I think the tile goes well with the country styling of the vanity. Perhaps just add some new hardware and sconces on either of the side walls; not this style but mounted right and left as shown.

Naples Beach Coastal Retreat Series · More Info

Kitty B thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Jean
    last year
    last modified: last year

Some more options, different vanity & pale tan paint. The darker is more dramatic!

Kitty B thanked Jean
  • Jean
    last year

Or with a Blue Vanity instead:

Kitty B thanked Jean
  • Carrie B
    last year

I think the vanity is fine. It's the gray paint that's a little depressing/dingy. Better lighting and I'd go a lighter, creamy paint color.

Kitty B thanked Carrie B
  • Kitty B
    Original Author
    last year

I changed the paint to Accessible Beige with Soji White Trim. Still not thrilled, just looks boring, but doesn't feel like a cave any more.

The tile background is very beige.

• Kitty B
    Original Author
    last year

Jean, thank you for all of the lovely mack ups!

• RedRyder
    last year

Get blue towels, another navy accessory and a piece of art on the wall. It looks like it needs jewelry.

Love the floor!

Kitty B thanked RedRyder
  • susanlynn2012
    last year

I love the floor also. I agree with RedRyder's suggestions.

Kitty B thanked susanlynn2012
  • Kitty B
    Original Author
    last year

Jean,

I'd love to know the name of the dark paint color you recommended :)