Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eam44

New counters, old backsplash, fit issues.

eam44
last year

I feel like I've read threads like this before, but in my search i cannot find any guidance. My lovely sister is getting a new induction cooktop to replace her amazing, but aged Fasar induction cooktop that the last owners of her house installed in the 1980s (the surface of which are tiles!). Her counters are Corian with a very pretty built up edge. To accomodate the new cooktop cutout that will be smaller than her existing cutout, she is planning on getting new counters. The granite she is considering is about 1/2” thicker than the Corian, which would not be an issue, but she loves her backsplash tile, it’s everywhere, and she does’t want to loose the tile, some of which can be seen below.

The only solutions i can think of are 1. for her stone guy to remove the bottom row of 4” square tiles and replace it with 3.5” of stone backsplash, above which the rest of the tile will sit, a look any of you who know me, know I dislike. 2. for her stone guy to cut the bottom row of tiles by that 1/2”. Dear houzzers, do you have any other ideas?

By the way, that’s my eggnog pie below 😁

Comments (9)