Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lillian_sd

Help! There is a 2-inch gap between my range and the back wall!

Lillian
10 years ago
I just had my range installed and there is a huge gap between the range and the back wall. I am soooo disappointed and I don't know what to do! I knew there would a little bit of a gap, but 2 inches just seems excessive.

Comments (8)

• Barbara
    10 years ago
    Check the installation directions since installation can vary with different brands. I don't know what style/brand of range that you have (freestanding, slide in, etc). I recently had a GE profile slide in range installed with a similar problem. It was simply the electrical cord in the way under the range that was getting in the way. After it was adjusted, it fit correctly. Luckily my walls and counter space were straight and the correct dimensions were in my counter.

There are some ranges that have a retro fit adapter which can fill in a space. There should be a customer service number that you can call for your specific range regarding installation. Good luck. I know this is frustrating, but get some professional advice from customer service.
    Lillian thanked Barbara
  • leobuescher
    10 years ago
    Ask installer what to do, if no help try a home improvement center. They deal with questions like this everyday. Lowe's can be helpful or where you like.
    Lillian thanked leobuescher
  • Lillian
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm wondering if the outlet is placed in the wrong spot. Where is the outlet supposed to be?
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    10 years ago
    Lillian, Electric range? In a replacement installation, the outlet is where it is...if you are in a new kitchen and the range was chosen prior at electrical rough-in, the outlet should be where where the manufacturer specifies. Moving the outlet is an option, though most building departments want a look at the change if there was no permit required previously.
  • Julie
    7 years ago

I have the same problem in my rental unit, the gas line sticks out really far and so there is a 4" gap between the wall and the back of the stove.

Instead of having a plumber come out and recess the gas line (expensive, requires shutting off gas to unit, cutting wall, etc) we are building a faux wall box to extend the wall above the gas line with a frame made of 2x4 and a piece of treated plywood to extend just to the gas line behind the stove.

We will cover it with a stainless steel backsplash or tile backsplash. There will still be enough of a gap below the faux wall for the gas line and electrical outlet so the gas hose line doesn't get pinched, but it will allow the stove to look like it's pushed all the way against the wall and keep things from dropping behind the freestanding stove.

The whole project will take less than a weekend to build and will not require a plumber to cut anything.

• rocketjcat
    7 years ago
    2013 dilemma.
  • PRO
    Main Line Kitchen Design
    7 years ago
    Sounds like the gas line and shut off are in the wrong location. Possibly the outlet as well. Plumbers are notorious for putting the line and height of the shut off where it is convenient for them and not in the place and height that all range manufactures recommend. I'd have a plumber fix this - it should cost 2 or 3 hundred dollars and your kitchen will look much better. If the plumbing and electric are correctly placed a range will touch the back wall or be within a 1/4 inch.