Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tobi_p0

Need help for my small apartment!

Tobi P.
last year
last modified: last year

I have the feeling things are missing in my apartment. Would love some help with the layout of the furniture which I already have. Then some decoration advice to make my appartment look more personal. I like earthy tones like beige, brown and green but also clean things in, for example in plain white. I did eventually try with some other ceiling lamps, a carpet and some wall decor (see the last two pictures). The sofa is actually also a pull out bed, and therefore multifunctional.

Comments (18)

• apple_pie_order
    last year

Add a large rug and two or three large framed artworks. Use colors you love.

• Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    last year

Determine your budget. You have a lot of wood in this space. To break that up, you may want to consider having the wood furniture appraised to see if it should be left as is or if it can be painted. Consider painting some of your furniture blue or green. I would stick to your blue and green colors - do not go into any other colors. Your kitchen is quite plain. You may think about replacing all the items there with blue and green items. You don't have to get new. Think outside the box and look at second hand shops. The ceiling light in the living area is not the best for that room. Much better is a table lamp in each corner at chest height. Put the ceiling light on a dimmer if you insist on keeping that (or keep it off). The atmosphere of the living area with do better with no ceiling light. To discover your style, put in top HOUZZ search box different styles (one at a time - with photos). Examples include casual and transitional. Note what you like and don't like in the photos. You have a lot of areas on the walls where you can put decor. Here is an example: https://www.art.com/products/p55409132931-sa-i10136609/l-baines-casual-moments.htm?upi=Q1IYB920&PODConfigID=9664578 Just buy the print and have it framed in plexiglass locally (safer and ligher to hang). Art.com has a large selection. Think about big accessories instead of small ones - that may make a better visual impact.

• tfitz1006
    last year

The wine rack/bar cart thing is taking up a lot of real estate without giving you a ton of utility. I think your tall piece with the plants, or the low dresser next to the armoire might look better there if you are comfortable moving that piece on. Def yes to an area rug. Def address the hanging bare lightbulb. I think you can do better with art but I'd get your furniture placement fixed first, then pick a rug, then art at the end. Big accesories instead of all the small stuff. Nice space, great potential.

• er612
    last year

Is the glass door the entrance to the apartment? Group the furniture in terms of use so they resemble a few big pieces rather than several small ones.

I would also lower the map above the sofa.

Looks like some of the kitchen items are on the adjacent shelves. Is it possible to consolidate the kitchen items to one unit? If you need more counter space, you could move the microwave onto a shelf as well.

• PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    last year

A large rug in the living room will really help tie everything together and make the space feel more full. Something light colored would help break up all of the brown tones.

• Gizmo
    last year

Curious, does the armoire contain a TV or is it for clothes storage?

• MarleneM
    last year

There are a lot of the wood pieces but assuming you need for storage? Right now they stand out because of a lack of other decor, so as you add more wall art and other items it’ll help. As far as layout, I’m not fond of the furniture arrangement, especially the tall shelf next to kitchen and the wine rack? And chair is far away from sofa. You could try table on wall where wine rack is with a large art piece on wall above it. Move chair angled by sofa so it creates a nice conversation area. Then move tall cabinet to other end of sofa to try to add height there. A rug will anchor the space but decide on furniture layout first as that will determine the size of area rug you need.

• einportlandor
    last year

Try the armoire on the short wall where the wine table is now.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

Here's a layout using all of your furnishings. I think it could be quite comfortable. This puts the chair closer to the sofa for actual conversations.

• RedRyder
    last year

In addition to a rug, it would work if you get chairs as has been suggested and pull the sofa off the wall. That makes the room more conversational.

I remember my designer saying that when all the furniture is against the walls it looks like a hurricane came through. It feels kind of like that when the sofa and chair aren’t “pulled in”towards each other. A rug gives you a place to put them.

Scour various websites for an area rug with colors you want more of in the room. Overstock, Wayfair, Rugs,com, RugsUSA, etc. are good places to start. Tell us your color preferences and we can help. You need the feet of the furniture on the rug, so it looks like an 8x10 would be the smallest option.

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

Can either the armoire or the chest beside it go in the bedroom? I like Beverly's arrangement, but I think she left the bookcase out. You could put it behind the dining set and pull them further into the room.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

find a nice area rug. something a big larger than the black one

something like this one would look nice w/the leather sofa

and please lower the pic above sofa. here is how you hang art above sofa

find some more art for the other wall

• Tobi P.
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for the insight, will definitely look for more art to put on the walls!

• Tobi P.
    Original Author
    last year

@er612 The glass door is the entrance to my balcony. The apartment entrance is to the right of that door next to the armoire.

• Tobi P.
    Original Author
    last year

@decoenthusiaste This is all the space my apartment offers, I dont have a separate bedroom

• Tobi P.
    Original Author
    last year

@Gizmo I decided on not having a TV in my small apartment - maybe that will change. The armoire stores a couple of household items and clothes.

• Tobi P.
    Original Author
    last year

Here is the actual floor plan of my apartment, only thing which is missing on it is the updated kitchen.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida