Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_580016307

Whole house interior paint color

Miki Hopkins
last year

We have purchased a home under construction & the builder is asking us to chose an interior color, but it can only be one. The home has a craftsman/modern farmhouse vibe on the exterior so im thinking something like a neutral off-white. the house varies in amount & types of lighting - mostly artificial light in the main areas of the house, but a sunroom on the back that will be full of natural light. i like greens too, but would want only a hint of color, any suggestikns? im currently leaning toward Alabaster.

Comments (14)

• elcieg
    last year
    last modified: last year

All the walls B.M. Collingwood. All trim (semi gloss), ceiling (flat), B.M. OC-151

If you are painting cabinets white use OC-151 in a gloss finish.

Miki Hopkins thanked elcieg
  • Rebekah Gibbs
    last year

Benjamin Moore Swiss Coffee is a beautiful creamy white for the whole interior!

Miki Hopkins thanked Rebekah Gibbs
  • Miki Hopkins
    Original Author
    last year

Ahh, sorry, Sherwin Williams Alabaster. i also have been considering SW Simply White. These are some of the inspiration pictures i have for the type of look I like.

• Maureen
    last year

Agree on a soft white. Can you advise the paint brand the builder uses and you will get more helpful suggestions.

Down the road, you can always paint specific rooms to suit your decor, but in meantime white will suit anything. If possible, test a few choices.

Miki Hopkins thanked Maureen
  • Miki Hopkins
    Original Author
    last year

He is sending me to Lowes for Valspar paint, but i was thinking they could color match to whatever i chose, is that correct?

• kandrewspa
    last year

Color matches between brands aren't always accurate because each brand has a different base. If you do that, be sure to sample a test can before they paint your whole house. Or just look at what Valspar has that is similar. Sampling is a good idea regardless. Paint a board or scrap piece of drywall with two coats and take it from room to room so you can see how the color looks in different lighting.

Miki Hopkins thanked kandrewspa
  • Maureen
    last year

Can’t comment on matching, but if you do, it will mean not being able to test/compare. For such a huge commitment, I’d be wanting to test a number of colors. Hope attached article helps.

https://www.jennaye.com/best-valspar-white-paint-colors/

• tfitz1006
    last year

What are the floors?

Miki Hopkins thanked tfitz1006
  • Miki Hopkins
    Original Author
    last year

My floors have not yet been laid, but Im hoping to get a solid white oak 3.25 inch with a natural finish

• lharpie
    last year

I would want everything painted white i suppose. do they do celings same color too? we have dove white for ceiling and trim everywhere. I like color so i would be planning on repainting everything other than ceilings so wouldn’t much matter…

• Miki Hopkins
    Original Author
    last year

So, would you recommend my walls be a eggshell Alabaster & my trim a semi gloss alabaster? would my kitchen cabinets be best in alabaster too? What sheen?

• lharpie
    last year
    last modified: last year

That’s part of the problem! i strongly prefer flat for most areas and eggshell for kitchen and bath. i would maybe compromise with matte. i would choose based on what areas i would be most likely to repaint. alabaster looks nice for cabs but i thought they should be done professionally with some sort of catelyzed varnish.

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnbswjXWwBU

Here's a nice overview to help you.

Miki Hopkins thanked decoenthusiaste