Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstxx

Starz? Good? Meh?

bbstx
last year

Starz is running a special right now - 6 months for $10 or maybe $20. Is it worth it? The only thing I’ve seen advertised on Starz that I want to see is the Martha Mitchell movie, Gaslit. Even if it is $20 for 6 months, that isn’t much, but I look at it as clutter.

Comments (14)

• bbstx
    Original Author
    last year

Maddie, Gaslit may be on both, for all I keep up with it. But Starz is promoting it as part of their pricing special. They also have Outlander, which I can watch on Amazon.

I’m considering Hulu because of the Steve Martin / Martin Short series…Only Murders In the Building.

• 3katz4me
    last year

I signed up for ad free hulu a couple months ago and really like it. I just signed up for YouTubeTV to replace cable at our lake place. We had cable because we get no reception and I like to watch the local news. We also have no cell reception so I got the bundle with tv and phone with our internet. Because our power goes out so often I wanted phone service in case of an emergency. I’m getting a whole house generator in november so no longer need the phone sevice because we can use wi-fi calling as long as we have power. So $75 per month cheaper plus we can watch anywhere - mostly the Golf channel. Also has DVR so I can again DVR house hunters international to watch while I ride my exercise bike. Haven’t been able to do that in about 15 years since we cut the cord on cable at home. Didn’t pop for DVR at the lake place.

bbstx thanked 3katz4me
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    last year

Wait! What’s the deal on Hulu with ads? Is it cheaper? Or even better, free?

• Funkyart
    last year

No, not cheaper without ads. Hulu has different price points-- based on addons and whether you are willing to accept ads.

bbstx thanked Funkyart
  • 3katz4me
    last year

Hulu without ads is about twice the price of Hulu with ads - a price I'm willing to pay because I can't stand all the ads. After a day of using YouTubeTV I can say I really like it. You can watch on any device anywhere - so today I was able to listen to the local news on my phone while still in bed (no TV in the bedroom). For anyone who still has cable or the like I would highly recommend it instead. $65 per month, regular HD (not 4K) and without any premium channels. You can pay more to get all that stuff. DVR is included in the $65 and up to six different users.

bbstx thanked 3katz4me
  • jojoco
    last year

Outlander.Its a great series on Starz if you like a romantic time travel series with main characters who have actual chemistry.. Caution though, some of the scenes are hard to watch.

bbstx thanked jojoco
  • User
    last year

@bbstx I love Hulu and there have been many times over the past year that we watched it more than Netflix.

Some people are "churning" -- where people are renting a premium service for only a few months, and then on to a different service. But if I start this, the two I would probably keep indefinitely are Hulu and Netflix.

bbstx thanked User
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    last year

Jojo, I tried to watch Outlander about a year or so ago. I never could get into it.

SeattleMCM, I may end up churning. I am not a big TV watcher but from time to time, I do like to watch a movie after supper.

• 3katz4me
    last year

I've started churning recently. It was certainly easier when it was just Prime and Netflix. I had Netflix for years but cancelled when the price went up because I wasn't watching it much. I added Acorn and AppleTV since they were relatively inexpensive and we wanted to watch Ted Lasso. Cancelled Apple after we finished that as there wasn't much else we wanted to watch. Then programs started moving from one streaming service to another. So I'd be halfway through something and then had to pay for it or find it somewhere else. That's how I ended up with Hulu - some program I was watching moved there. I just reupped Netflix so my profile wouldn't disappear and we wanted to watch the Crown again. So we'll try to get through that and anything else we want to watch (new episodes of Call the Midwife) rather quickly so I can cancel it again. Even with several services it's still far less expensive than what we used to pay for cable but I like to cancel anything we're not watching. I never buy Starz, HBO, etc. because we have more than enough to watch on the other services.

bbstx thanked 3katz4me
  • Bluebell66
    last year

If you can hold out until Black Friday, Hulu usually runs a good sale. A couple of years ago I got one year for .99/month. Last year the special was $1.99 - I think.

bbstx thanked Bluebell66
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, Bluebell. I never thought of a Black Friday sale on TV!

• Funkyart
    last year

I am getting very close to doing the service swap-- I have been really unhappy with Netflix but of course now we have the new season of the Great British Baking Show .. and I am sure that we'll see something else come back once it is done.

I really enjoy my Hulu and Acorn.tv subscriptions-- and we have a couple of add-ons to Prime Video like IMDB and a few other Indie additions. The real winner though has been HBO Max. We've enjoyed a number of series and movies there-- including a number of old classics.

bbstx thanked Funkyart
  • User
    last year

Yeah, Netflix is getting worse and worse. I might start churning them too. You know what's annoying? Netflix in Canada has tons of shows and movies that we don't in the US. They have different licensing. It's such a tease every time I visit, seeing how much better it is over there.

bbstx thanked User