Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_132871919

Porcelain Slabs (countertop/backsplash) - CIOT (Marazzi, Maxfine)

Christina A
last year

Can anyone share their experience with porcelain countertops/backsplashes? Are any brands superior in terms of quality or are they all essentially the same…prone to chipping and cracking?

Also considering Dekton but I prefer the porcelain designs.

Comments (6)

• kl23
    last month

@Patricia Colwell Consulting real stones have various drawbacks like porosity, staining, water penetrance, or scratching. Many need to be sealed. All are heavy. My favorite stone is soapstone because it is not porous, but it can be scratched, and it can look blotchy unless oiled or waxed. But porcelain is non porous, heat tolerant, lightweight, doesn't need to be treated and now comes in huge slabs for shower surrounds and countertops.

• Kristin Clippert
    last month

@Patricia Colwell Consulting I purchased a vanity with marble c-top from HD this past year for a lower level spare bathroom and the very first time I cleaned it, the marble etched with spray marks from the solution I sprayed (that I use to clean literally everything else in the house) and has been terribly dull and almost etched-looking ever since. I knew that things like red wine and tomato sauce were a problem for marble in a kitchen - but I had no idea marble was quite this sensitive (and we're talking a powderroom bathroom here, that gets used sparingly!). Now I have to to investigate having a brand new c-top refinished/ resealed or something. Will never get marble again. Soooo high maintenance.

• coray
    last month

Yes, Kristina, even little water spots will etch marble. We have Crema Cappuccino in our upstairs guest bathroom, sealed it, of course, but still…..little etched spots all over.

• PRO
    Marble & Granite Tech, Inc
    last month

Visit us for some ideas

marbleandgranitetech.com

• dani_m08
    last month

I have a vanity with a pollshed Carrara marble countertop that has seen way more use than I expected over the past 2+ years (issues with master bathroom renovation + my daughter - who is very messy - moved home for a little while when she was having health issues) - and it still looks great! I don’t use my regular cleaning supplies for the sink/countertop/mirror because I knew those could etch it. Also, I haven’t sealed it since it was originally done by the fabricator.

I do have a little basket filled with rolled up white washcloths that are used to wipe up water that’s been splashed after someone brushes his/her teeth or washes hands/face. We have water that’s a bit hard - so, I wanted to baby it a bit.

However, it hasn’t really been babied - except if you count wiping the water drops - but that only takes about 10 seconds or so (and has become a habit for everyone).

While I understand why you like the idea of porcelain countertops (trust me, I’ve researched and researched them) - they look way more realistic than faux marble quartz (I wouldn’t use that bc I love genuine marble too much) + I wouldn’t have to worry about my SO using the kitchen (I can see him forgetting to wipe up tomato sauce or leave a slice of lime/lemon sitting on the countertop). I don’t want to have to be the countertop police!

I am also considering having something applied to the marble - not the film but the liquid that is UV cured. But I’ve also been to Italy a few times - and marble is everywhere - and looks gorgeous.