Gizmo
last year

Love that antique beverage cooler in her DR

Her wallpaper guy had the patience of Job covering the DR air vent

Also. like the idea of the recessed mat in her kitchen

Comments (23)

• Feathers11
    last year

I only had time to watch the first 12 minutes (wanted to see what the deal was with the air vent... omg, what precision!). She is absolutely delightful. I appreciate her approach to decorating. I can't wait to return and watch the rest. Thanks for sharing this!

Gizmo thanked Feathers11
  • User
    last year

I like a lot of it, although I wouldn't personally gravitate towards her style for my own home. I like the Asian pieces and the tiny TV room, the bookcase in the bedroom which conveys such coziness, and the little courtyard. Many of her furniture pieces have a 60s feel that I have never found appealing. But I do admire her exuberance and it's probably a house that sees a lot of parties and visitors.

I didn't think anyone did the karate chopped pillows anymore. And I consider myself a young, hip 60 year old, but I've never understood the appeal of jeans with blasted-out knees. 😉 That said, she seems fun!

• DLM2000-GW
    last year

Wow - detail on detail on detail but it all works .Love the way she uses colors that are in the same family but don't match - she's right saying as a designer she's not afraid. Very personal style and lots of personality.

• rubyclaire
    last year

Love her style and found her to be completely delightful.

• Olychick
    last year

What a gorgeous home. I was smitten with every part of every room. She had me at the curved sofa in the entry and the art going up the stairwell. Then it just got better and better. I think how she handled the living room with two separate seating areas was brilliantly executed. I'd love to post her room as an example on every thread that one 'pro' who disparages sectionals tells people how awful they are. The seating in all of her rooms is inspired.

• Sueb20
    last year

I bet she throws fun parties. I want that pink chaise from the guest room, please. The one room I really disliked was the entry. The sofa seems too big and I just don’t care for the bar in that location.

I would love those bookshelves in my bedroom!

• eld6161
    last year

I agree Sueb. But she claims she uses the space for parties.

I really liked the kitchen.

I also liked the living room, Perfect example that the fireplace doesn't have to be the focal point if a room.

• Kswl
    last year

Very pretty and lots of dressmaker details in the upholstery and curtains. It’s a great but not timeless style with a certain appeal….. very suburban country club.

• terezosa / terriks
    last year

Am I the only one who wishes that there were a "highlights reel" for this kind of video? I don't have the patience to watch someone talk about china patterns and silver.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Thanks for posting. I liked it. The whole house feels like spring. Very feminine. My favorite part was her talking about her neighbors and family. Agree about the coziness of small rooms.

The jeans are an odd choice. And I don't think anyone, much less 10 people, really wants to sit on the floor on pale pink velvet cushions, chabudai style, but with no place to put your legs.

I also do not agree with breaking up the LR that way by essentially ignoring the mantle. I would have made it into 3 areas and centered one seating area on the FPL. I also thought it was suboptimal to look at a faucet when you enter the front door. Oddly grand staircase for a 2br house.

The outdoor dining, and her plates, were fab. Did you need to exit the house to use the screened porch?

• Allison0704
    last year

She obviously loves her home. It feels fresh, but wonder if she will keep things like they are or change often. I really liked the framed paper pieces going up the stairway.

Agree with Mtn on the jeans. Also don't care for the bar just inside the door, but it works for her.

The company that did the wallcovering in our last house also does the vents and wall plates. He said it doesn't take that long once you know how to do them.

• Kswl
    last year

I was also highly doubtful that people would sit on floor cushions and eat dinner from a coffee table— unless they were trenagers or children. The logistics of that don’t make sense. I could believe it if people were sitting on the sofa eating canapés from buffet plates they held or put on the coffee table, perhaps that’s what she meant?

In our area a detached screen porch or summerhouse or screened gazebo is not at all unusual. We have friends who built an elaborate one in their backyard connected by a covered breezeway. They didn’t want to ruin the classical symmetry of the rear façade of their house so that outdoor entertaining space was sited to create a courtyard effect.

• Springroz
    last year

Finally!! She seems real!! I love the entire thing! I did skip forward a bit, and will watch the rest later.

• DLM2000-GW
    last year

Kswl she did say specifically that she uses that coffee table to have a dinner party, throws a table cloth over it, throws the cushions on the floor and has had 10 people sitting on the floor - maybe they are all under 30!!??

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year
    last modified: last year

She's been a designer for 37 years, so figure lates 50s. I can just see that.

• Kswl
    last year

DLM I was thinking maybe she misspoke? I’m trying to give her the benefit of the doubt here. 😎 Yes, maybe the kids’ table at Thanksgiving? If she had said snacks while watching the game, or a Superbowl crowd, maybe— but why wouldnt they have just sat ON the sofa instead. I need more info! Lol!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

No because she is very specific about taking the cushions off to sit on the floor. Maybe she did this once, with like 5 junior women staffers. Or else it is a weird lie. You'd have to sit Indian style or on your feet.

BTW her MBR is set up almost exactly like the PO's... and it looks great.

• stiley
    last year

What a fun house! And she is very likable. I appreciate that her home is a realistic size too. I wanted to freeze all the images to absorb the details. Love how she mixes antiques with new, different patterns, and different eras. Thanks for sharing this!

Gizmo thanked stiley
  • nicole___
    last year

I wish I was her neighbor....sigh....

• barncatz
    last year

She also mentioned using the blue bench in the "TV side" of the room as extra seating although, to me, that looked about footrest height.

The house did seem cheerful and fresh but the many, many patterns would have me reaching for the laudanum. The entry sofa reminded me of that other Homeworthy tour - the "backwards" Colonial with the hall seating that the owner said was for party use?

Loved her jacket and top.

• Tina Marie
    last year

rubyclaire, I have looked at her instagram feed occasionally. She seems like a fun person - lots of outdoor activities. I didn't even notice the jeans! I really do not like the videos much, i wish they would just have pictures to click through. There is alot I liked, but much I didn't like too. Some things I felt were just over done. I do like the feminine feel and the colors used. Love her outside space. I have never seen a detached screened porch, although one of our neighbors has a screened gazebo.

• cawaps
    last year

I liked it a lot. I'm in the camp of liking the way she divided the living room. Long living rooms with a centered fireplace show up often on the Home Decorating side as a design problem, and I thought her two functional areas made great use of the space.

I always appreciate when designers on these tours point out the things they love that aren't particularly special from a design standpoint, but are favorites anyway, like the happy statue in the corner of the dining room (which I gathered was a mass market, or at least an inexpensive, piece). Sometimes it is a piece that is sentimental in some way, but sometimes it's just, "It makes me happy," like the happy man statue.