Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengal48

Something new........

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
last year
last modified: last year

Gardening is a constant learning experience! Even after 50 years (or close to it) and a degree in horticulture, I still encounter plants and techniques that are new to me. Bought myself a cut flower bouquet to ease the pain of putting my beloved doggy gardening companion of the last 14 years to sleep on Friday. In gorgeous fall harvest colors of orange and gold, it had these bright orange thistle-like flowers I had never see before and I found fascinating. Turns out it is safflower, Carthamus tinctorius. I'm a city girl......you don't see these growing in my neighborhood! Who knew they made such a great cut flower??

btw, it is an annual, not a perennial, but certainly of interest to perennial gardeners as well!

(not my photo)

Comments (19)

• rosaprimula
    last year

Sorry to hear about your doggy friend, GG. Always so sad but memories of a life well lived goes a long way to easing the grief.

Yep safflower. A lovely thing. I first grew it in my dyers garden. An easy annual with fat white seeds. I do love these thistle-ish plants (knapweeds, cirsium)...and so does wildlife.

While a lot of dye plants are relatively harmless (indigo, anthemis, weld), I regret planting madder -basically a goosegrass on steroids...

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) thanked rosaprimula
  • getgoing100_7b_nj
    last year

Sorry for your loss. May they rest in peace.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) thanked getgoing100_7b_nj
  • rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    last year

'gg' so hard losing a companion animal...my condolences for your loss.

I still encounter plants and techniques that are new to me.

SO very very true.

We have a small property and I was convinced that once we ran out of space for me to add garden I would lose interest but this has not been the case as the 'permutations and combinations' associated with annual and perennial gardening is infinite and so each year I think of new things to do with this same very small property.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) thanked rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
  • erasmus_gw
    last year

That's a great looking plant..I'm glad to hear it's easy to grow. I wonder where to find seeds.

I'm sorry about your loss.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) thanked erasmus_gw
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    Original Author
    last year

@rouge21_gw (CDN Z6a), interesting that you make that comment :-) With the exception of nasturtiums (and sweet peas that I grow separately from anything else), I have almost never planted annuals directly in the ground, let alone combine them with perennials!! I tend to limit any annuals to seasonal containers only. Why, I have no idea.......it is just always something I have done. The excuse I will give is that my perennial/shrub borders are too full for annuals :-)) And my current garden is also tiny and with too much shade to make most annuals happy. With containers, I can stage them to maximize sunlight.

@erasmus_gw, when I was researching this new-to-me plant, various seed companies advertised as offering it for sale. Should be relatively easy to get seeds.

And thanks to all sending your kind words and sympathy over the loss of my pup. The hurt is still very raw. Knowing when it's time to send them on their way is the last and best loving thing you can do for them. But recognizing that does not make it any easier.

• mojavemaria
    last year

Thats just beautiful! I used to shy away from anything orange but find myself liking it more and more inside and out. So sorry for the loss of your gardening companion.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) thanked mojavemaria
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    Original Author
    last year

Thx, Chris. I was an October baby so maybe that's why I love orange so much. And I tend to have a lot of it, considering the size of my tiny garden - geums, Apricot Twist perennial wallflower, Grevillea, lilies, crocosmia, the aforementioned nasturtiums..... And they combine beautifully with blues!! And purples.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    last year

So sorry about the loss of your little friend. They fill our hearts and leave a huge hole when they leave.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) thanked laceyvail 6A, WV
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    last year

I'm so sorry about the loss of your dog...

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • rosaprimula
    last year

Me too - Libran, GG. Not sure if that's why I like orange (always have).

As you say, our last responsibility to our beloved animals is to ensure they do not suffer in pain and to know when to let go.

Your climate might not be ideal for my current favourite plant - a bloody gorgeous sphaeralcea ambigua. I have grown the coral munroana and fendleri (I love anything remotely malva connected) but 'Childerly' (sp?) has been revelatory this hot dry summer. Looks tremendous with salvias in hot pink and purples.

I have generally had more luck with the smaller linums, Christopher - narbonense, perenne and lewisii...although I have broken my heart several times at my fails with Texas flax, l.rigidum.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) thanked rosaprimula
  • nickel_kg
    last year

Beautiful flower, and I'm sorry for your loss, gardengal.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) thanked nickel_kg
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

Safflower is a fairly common sight in bouquets over here and it is also often used as wild bird food. You can get 6kg for around £12.00. Very roughly a dollar per pound.

Sorry to hear about your dog.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    last year

I am not sure anything really helps ease the pain of losing a pet. It is never any easier, but soetimes there is one that is especially special and impossible to let go. I am so sorry for your loss.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • Need2SeeGreen 10 (SoCal)
    last year

I'm so sorry about the loss of your dog.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) thanked Need2SeeGreen 10 (SoCal)
  • L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    last year

Sorry to hear about your dog. That's tough. I am an October baby, too. Best time of year

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) thanked L Clark (zone 4 WY)
  • Patti Chicago Zone 5b/6a
    last year

GG - I am so sorry for your loss. My first dog was when I turned 40 the year of the 911 attacks and he was the best thing ever. He helped my family so much over the years. He was a great companion for 17 years and is always in my heart. I am sure as time goes you will learn to live with the loss. You will never forget your loves and remember "All dogs go to heaven"!

I also love orange flowers and I still have torch the Mexican sunflower blooming like crazy and the bees love it!

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) thanked Patti Chicago Zone 5b/6a
  • lowville5 zone5b/6 ON, Canada
    last year

GG, I'm so glad you treated yourself to a cut flower bouquet. I'm a veterinarian, and I know from work and personal experience the pain suffered while deliberating the right time to put a beloved pet to sleep. Oh, how I've wished I could read my pets' minds to know they're ready. My Mom was a huge animal lover and used to say how lucky we were to have the ability to humanely ease their suffering. It's an awesome responsibility.

I adore orange in the garden, especially with purples, so I shall look for this safflower.

Be kind to yourself.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) thanked lowville5 zone5b/6 ON, Canada
  • GardenHo_MI_Z5
    last year

GG I’m so sorry to hear about your fur baby... Its heartbreaking I know 😢

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) thanked GardenHo_MI_Z5