Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbkargbo

Recessed lighting/ceiling fan woes

Maribel K
last year

So I purchased my condo last year and the previous owners did absolutely nothing to it because it was an investment property for them. I recently contacted an electrician to install recessed lighting and a ceiling fan because I’ve been in the dark and I was tired of turning on the AC. My condo layout is a little weird because the front door pops in so I told him to imagine the door was a wall and to center the lights and ceiling fan to the fireplace and then I was going to have him add two more recessed lights in the area where the door is located…well not only did he gang up on me, his worker, and my parents all ganged up on me and told me to center the lights with the ceiling because otherwise there will be “too many lights.” I gave in, but now I’m regretting it.

I want to know what you all think. Am I crazy…or is there really no wrong way to install recessed lighting/ceiling fans? I hate the way it looks and before you all say that it’s my condo…I know that. But this is also my first purchase and I’m learning. Thank you :)

First photo is the camera angled toward the ceiling; the second photo is from the hallway that leads to the kitchen; last one is also from the same hallway, but with my edits.

Don’t mind the mess haha

The dining chairs are from World Market and the floors are “PergoDefense+ 7.48 in. W Sun Veiled Oak Antimicrobial Waterproof Laminate Wood Flooring” from Home Depot.

Comments (8)

• chispa
    last year

Lighting can be very subjective. I would have done 4 in the living area and 2 in the "foyer" area and put them on separate switches with dimmers. Just be careful with fans and recessed lights so you don't get s strobe effect when the blades start spinning.

• Maribel K
    Original Author
    last year

That’s exactly what I thought too! And thank you for the tip, I also had the electrician install fans in the bedrooms and next are the recessed lights, but I’m thinking of going with 4” instead of 6” because of that!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

Its fine the way it is, just get a white ceiling fan, and dont drop it too low, a ceiling fan does not need to be noticed. Also the can light are in the right spot, I would have layed them out that way too. Add two more cans, one on the other window and one in the same space on the back wall. I do agree that for balance, it would look better centered. but if you are not wanting to spend more you can make it work.

As for me, I would not put a ceiling fan in this room, and then I would opt to have the fixture centered to the fireplace.

• 3onthetree
    last year

A better way would be laying out the furniture first. As it seems you have a circulation space behind a couch from the front door. That means that the ceiling fan, which is centered on the ceiling, now looks to be directly above where a couch would be. It, and the recessed cans, should have been based on the seating area, which is focused around the fireplace. Maybe next time.

A typical layout of adding recessed lights by DIYers and electricians is put 1 in each corner and a ceiling fan in the middle, like a "5 dice." But there is nothing of prominence in the corners and neither are windows, doors, or furniture layout arranged symmetrically about the 4 corners.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

@3onthetree would you then have one light in the entry, and shift everything else to FP center?

• Maribel K
    Original Author
    last year

@RL Relocation LLC I definitely got a black and gold fan (ha!!!), but I’ll be sure to tell the electrician to not drop it so low. I live in a very hot city so the fan is a must. Thank you for the advice!

@3onthetree I‘m living through renovations and haven’t had furniture for a year and a half. I guess I have to buy furniture based on this new layout 😭 yeah, the room is awkward because of that dang “foyer”…thank you to you as well!

@fissfiss haha! I agree. Thank you. He actually did a good job! I bought the globe smart wifi lights and they are amazing!!!! I tried a dimmer, but I think I need the one they make specifically…normal dimmers don’t work because the lights are dimmable through the app as well. I can change the colors and everything and they’re LED, super slim too! Never thought I’d be so excited about lighting lol

• 3onthetree
    last year

@RL Relocation LLC I probably would have done 2 accent lights (gimbals) on the FP, rather than the highlight over only 1 window and wherever it's opposite one lands over the FP. Ceiling fan based on seating layout and circulation. The door light and it's opposite one along that wall would be based on circulation and whatever is on the opposite wall facing the door entry (kitchen?).