Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doriswk

Sowing seeds in fall vs. spring for certain self seeding flowers?

doriswk
last year
last modified: last year

is itO K. to sow seeds in late fall for self seeding flowers that typically drop their seeds in the fall and pop up new seedlings in spring ? I have seeds for echinacea in various colors, for cosmos, marigolds, gaillardia, painted daisies, columbine, morning glory, and zinnia. I would much prefer to put out these seed in the fall ( zone 5, South Ontario). After all, mother nature does it this way.. The recommendations on the seed packets are typically for spring sowing, but then a few such as echinacea wont bloom the same year unless started indoors which is extra work in spring when my time and space is taken up with starting seeds for vegetables indoors.. I have had most of these flowers on another property and once they were planted they were spreading via self seeding.

This year I followed the package recommendations for morning glory, seeded them outdoors being mindful of our last frost date, and watched them climb and grow leaves all summer long, while the 1st flower appeared not until the first week of October, with lots of buds to go but freezing temps any night now. Not happy. Curious to see if self seeding will do a better job next year....

Comments (5)

• rosaprimula
    last year

Do it now. I sow seeds when I get my hands on them, working on the principle that plants know what they need. Seeds are primed to germinate when conditions are right so hardy annuals, for example, will germinate in the warmth of late summer and gently overwinter, making roots. Hardy perennials usually need stratification, so a winter of vernalising is essential - spring sown hardy perennials may not even germinate until the following year. Theoretically, tender seeds such as tomatoes will spend the winter in the soil...but there is a good chance of rotting. Also, quite a lot of tender seeds need to grow fast, with no checks to growth so there is no advantage to be gained from an early sowing but a lot of risks (so I would always wait till spring to sow zinnias, MGs, tomatoes...and often quite late in the year because once they germinate, they grow away rapidly., Hardy plants always fare better with an autumn sowing.

This week (and last) I have had an orgy of seed sowing. All the seeds are stashed in open 1 litre, 5inch pots, covered with netting (to keep mice, birds etc. out)and left in the garden all winter. A coldframe is a good choice for this, as is a cold greenhouse (but mine is full of tender plants needing some winter protection).

I don't do the winter sowing milk jugs scenario but I would suggest a visit to the winter sowing forum as the basic principles of seed sowing are more or less the same as my methods.

As you say, seeds fall when ripe and nature does the rest. We are just shortening the odds and increasing our chances of success.

doriswk thanked rosaprimula
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    last year

isnt there a whole forum dedicated to winter sowing... which ... regardless of the name.. is exactly what you are doing. ..

i think you summed it up when you said: After all, mother nature does it this way..

i suppose the only issue is vermin .. in that you will have no success if something eats all your seed ... no matter how many ma nature spreads.. for most plants.. not all that many actually make it thru to bloom next spring.. and imo.. mostly for birds and mice eating the seed ...

so if you can protect from such... you should be in a better spot ....

also.. recognizing your bounty in spring would be an issue.. so itf you could line ou the seed in a nursery bed.. first.. they would all be in one bed ... and second.. if you lay out a line a foot or two long.. odds are.. when you see a foot or two of seedlings in the spring.. yo will know you must have planted something there ..

this would be much more advisable than just chucking seed all over your garden beds ... odds are.. you would weed out most of what you dreamt if.. long before they ever made it to bloom ...

ken

doriswk thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • doriswk
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for pointing out that what I am planning to do is also considered winter sowing. I had misunderstood and took "winter" literally, as in the actual winter time. I did look up the winter sowing forum, it was not easy to find. a long search And yes, I have netting and also markers ready to indicate what is to expected where...

Thank you rosaprimula for suggesting to sow sow zinnia and marigolds in spring. Would you mind telling me why you prefer to sow in pots vs direct sowing ? I already have certain areas in mind for the echinacea, gaillardia, painted daisies, and columbine, and was thinking of just directly sowing the seeds there and protecting them with nettings and a light mulch cover that I would remove in early spring. That would eliminate transplanting. I can start them in pots if there is a benefit though...

• rosaprimula
    last year

Heya Doris,

I sow in pots for several reasons: often, especially if sowing bought-in seeds, I just don't feel I have enough to risk on direct sowing. I am much more inclined to try direct sowing with my own saved seeds because I usually have generous amounts. Mostly though, I simply forget that I have actually sowed certain seeds in certain places...and get a little hoe-happy (indeed, Ken). Finally, I like the convenience and control of sowing in pots which I can keep an eye on (my land is not part of my housing space), can prick out into individual pots and can pot up until the plants are at a good size to be released 'into the wild' (where I promptly forget about them).

I will say that May sown zinnia are so easy and reliable that I always sow them direct - they germinate in days and grow away to bloom in as little as 6 weeks in favourable circumstances.

I have also used a nursery bed, sowing plants in drills and transplanting them into their final positions when big enough - wallflowers (and other biennials) for example.

All seeds (and plants) have their own genetic imperatives: some of which we can change and control, others less so. I have not determined whether morning glories are short day bloomers: if so, it won't make any difference when we sow them because they will only be triggered into flower with enough hours of darkness.

Many, if not most, flowers are day-neutral. but there are many long day spring bloomers. There are lots of triggers to growth - not just temperature. As gardeners, we are in a position to mess around with natural circumstances - artificial lighting, withholding/adding water, using hormones, scarifying etc.etc. but if in doubt, it is always best to try to replicate the conditions of origin.

Winter sowing just means allowing hardy seeds to vernalise/stratify in order to break dormancy. It is pretty much the only way to sow hardy perennials as they are genetically ordered to recognise the end of winter and start of a new spring season. In truth, you can sow hardy seeds at any time of the year - they will simply wait in the ground until conditions are appropriate for them to germinate and grow. Tender/tropical seeds do not need a period of chilling because they do not normally experience killing frosts. Theoretically, winter sowing tomatoes is doable since the seeds will simply wait until conditions are favourable...but if they germinate in a mild autumn they will risk a chilly death.

doriswk thanked rosaprimula
  • doriswk
    Original Author
    last year

All of the seeds I am planning to direct sow are my own saved seeds or from friends. I have substantially more than I could possibly use. Planning to cut up a worn out soaker hose and put in place for boundaries, and also to make a sketch to keep in my garden folder as reminder of what I sowed in which area. Thanks for helping me decide in favor of direct sowing. Plenty of vegetable seeds will still occupy my time and indoor space come spring.

I can relate to forgetting about having sowed certain seeds in certain places...also where certain bulbs went. In spite of taking many pictures throughout the seasons, writing things down, boundaries are not always totally clear and overlapping happens. Our garden is perfectly imperfect. Always will be. Love it.

Re: tomatoes, this year I am experimenting with different ways of overwintering. Whole mature plant without leaves and cut back to abt 1 ' high potted and kept in cool basement, plus the bare roots system, plus suckers rooted in water. Will see next year what works best for me.