Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathryn_johnson9

Speed Queen issues

Kate Johnson
last year

We hesitantly purchased a Speed Queen set from Bray & Scarff in the DC area. I had some concerns because I’ve heard of some SQ lemons, but the sales rep assured me they are very reliable and last a long time.

Lo and behold, 4 months after purchase, our dryer broke and is showing a nS error code (it looks like n5 but after some research we determined it is nS.) We are waiting for a service call, but now I am so worried that we just spent $3,000 on junk. I feel such buyers remorse and that the sales team was not honest with us.

Has anyone else had this happen? Are we doomed to continue to have these issues? This is not a great start.

How should we approach the company who sold us machine and/or Speed Queen?

Comments (20)

• Cavimum
    last year

Give them a chance to fix it. You purchased it new with a warranty, right? Every brand of *anything* can make an item that needs a repair. That is my life experience. Usually a warranty repair is all it was needed. If the repair breaks down again, after the dealer has repaired it twice, then it might be time to look into the lemon laws in your state or ask the dealer to replace the dryer. This is highly inconvenient for you to have a broken new dryer, especially with what you paid for it, but give the dealer or SQ a chance to make it right,.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    last year

Most appliance brands get their rankings based on service quality as it seems every appliance today is complex & will need a service call. My buddy w a kitchen full of Wolf & Subzero has service on speed dial, but still his favorite ever.

Still the best laundry units & on my purchase list.

Please let us know the results.

• armjim
    last year

My SQ set will be 5 years old next month with not one service problem. The washer is analog and the dryer electronic. I looked up the code for yours and it seems to indicate a motor failure issue. The warranty will definitely take care of it, but it is disconcerting to have to have a service call so early in ownership. Hoping it is a software problem rather than the motor actually needing to be replaced. When I selected our set the only reason I decided on the electronic controlled dryer was for the extended anti-wrinkle setting. Otherwise I would have gone for the analog dryer. Keep us posted on what you find out.

• Rachel
    last year

So sorry you are having problems with you new machine. Since the sales rep 'convinced' you that these machines were very good, I would ask the dealer to provide a 5 year warranty free of charge for your troubles. Worst case scenario is they say no.

• dadoes
    last year
    last modified: last year

The model number of the dryer is not cited so specific service information for the unit of question cannot be researched. A quick search for both NS and N5 finds reference to a dryer code N5 which relates to the motor output board being shorted (which presumably is a control or power output board that operates the motor). It should be covered by full warranty. This problem 4 months into ownership of the machine doesn't indicate it's susceptible to frequent failures.

• jwvideo
    last year

Regarding the question of whether to approach SQ or Bray & Scarff (the selling dealer in this instance), what I learned from recently researching SQ washers is that SQ apparently will send you warranty parts directly if you can DIY a repair but otherwise SQ delegates warranty service and questions to the selling dealer and/or the regional distributor.

As for asking the dealer for a five-year warranty, unless Kate Johnson has one of SQ's DR3 dryer models, it would be unnecessary to ask for a five year warranty from the dealer. The DR 3 models come with "only" a 3-year factory warranty while all other current SQ residential dryer models (and all residential washer models other than the TR3 models) already come with at least a full five year factory warranty.

As for whether anything like this this has happened to anybody else, you could search past threads here. I'm recalling that the late Mama Pinky had a go round with SQ and her local dealer over a defective or damaged TL washing machine that was delivered to her. Eventually, the dealer took back the machine and gave Mama P a full refund. (Try searching on "Mama Pinky + Speed Queen"). Also could be worth searching the AutomaticWasher site. I'm recalling a couple of threads there, one of which discussed an instance where somebody had bought a SQ washer from an internet seller, then moved to a different state, and then had trouble getting warranty service. (He eventually contacted SQ who took care of getting warranty service at the new location.) The other thread arose several years ago when a circuit board maker supplied SQ with a batch of FL-washer circuit boards with a substandard component. As best I can recall, the posters reported that SQ replaced (or arranged to replace) all the boards that failed and the problem has not (AFAIK) recurred. As Dadoes says, having a "problem 4 months into ownership of the machine doesn't indicate it's susceptible to frequent failures."

• Architectural Notice
    last year

I purchased a Speed Queen washer and dryer several months ago. Love them. No issues.

• ken c
    last year

Error codes occur for a reason. Our SQFL first threw an error code and unplugging/replugging made it go away. Then it took two, three and eventually no number of resets would help. Added to that, Alliance never stood by their Front loader and we ended up junking it at 7 years old. Shame, because it was a great washer. Bad company.

• a kan
    11 months ago

Just installed a new front loading FF7005WN, it is a defective. Called the company and told me that they only repair. .... worse than my old maytag neptune that was replaced.

• dadoes
    11 months ago

Defective in what way? The machine likely will run for years after a warranty repair.

• armjim
    11 months ago

I would also be very interested in hearing what is defective about your new SQ. Our SQ washer is on its way to 6 years with no problems. I'm hoping for at least 6 more years of problem free use.

• a kan
    11 months ago

Super loud humming, buzzing (probably the drain pump, who knows), they say because the pump is very powerful. There are strange sounds from time to time, it is said that not every machine has it, but it is normal. They tell me not to worry about them, just use the machine. I hope I haven't let the old Neptune go. Good Luck to you guys...

• ken c
    11 months ago

Yes, Alliance say a lot of things. We liked our FL machine until it broke, then they came up with total lies regarding the defective batch of control boards that our machine unfortunately had one of.

C'est la vie, now we have an LG which has larger capacity, a heater (not that I care, but many do) and I'm sure it will last more than 7 years, unlike the SQ.

• Cavimum
    11 months ago

>>>>Super loud humming, buzzing (probably the drain pump, who knows), they say because the pump is very powerful. There are strange sounds from time to time, it is said that not every machine has it, but it is normal. >>>>

I have this machine and yes, those sounds are normal. It took me a while to get used to it because the machine is so noisy. Consumer Reports magazine rates it as the noisiest machine of all the ones they tested. My previous FL was whisper quiet compared to this SQ FL washer. I've learned to ignore the sounds. As long as it does not break down, I will be a happy camper.

• armjim
    11 months ago

I looked at a video today of a SQ FL and listened to a drain part of the cycle. It let you know it is draining that is for sure. Our previous Kenmore, LG and my MIL's current Miele all are similar in that they each go from a quiet wash period to the various noises that are considerable during drain. And I do agree SQ is probably the nosiest of all. It seems all FL's make a lot of sounds when draining, and it is ofttimes jarring compared to the wash segment that just preceeded it.

• dan1888
    11 months ago

My only choice for a new SQ washer is the TC5 Classic. Otherwise it'll be a used one.

• dadoes
    11 months ago

Speed Queen residential frontloaders are based on their (Alliance Laundry Systems) commercial machine. The mechanical design is robust and said to have a 25-year expected service-life in the home environment. The drain pump may be the noisiest component on most frontloaders compared to the drum motor.

• Cavimum
    11 months ago

dadoes - the spin cycle sounds IMO sounds like a small jet coming in for a landing. ;-)

• a kan
    10 months ago

(Sorry, sent twice by mistake.)