Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliastoklosa13

Flooring Help Need Color and design help

Julia K
last year

Hi! I built the master shower I wanted with marbelized tile. I want to put waterproof vinyl flooring in my bathroom but I am stuck on what color and style I should choose because I don’t want to clash with the shower! My vanity and linen cabinet is white with black hardware and my countertop is marbelized granite as well. Need flooring help

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year
    last modified: last year

you already have way too much going on. an LVP will just add another pattern to the mix. Besides, an LVP w/those tile choices would be a hard NO.

is this really what you want??

Go with a solid gray/white or charcoal larger format porcelain tile

something like this. This is Basalt. Honed. comes in all shades of gray and black

12x24 gray porcelain tile

Tilebar has this in a matte black (without the gold) in a smaller size

https://www.tilebar.com/lines-black-24x48-matte-porcelain-tile.html

Hard to see, but this larger (24x24) matte white porcelain tile is also a good choice

check out the whites/silver on this one

https://www.tilebar.com/bond-palladium-24x48-matte-porcelain-tile.html

https://www.tilebar.com/fordham-bianco-12x24-matte-porcelain-tile.html

you can order 5 samples for $5

BTW, who did your pebble rock shower floor?

They didn't offset the sheets so you ended up w/a grid pattern. I also see a lot of negative space w/some low spots. those low spots (in the grout) will hold onto water and eventually discolor the white.

A darker gray or a charcoal grout should have been used. Plus, single pebbles should have been laid into the 'blank' areas to fill in those divot areas. I've laid these pebble tile floors many times. I've actually pulled the pebbles off the sheet and set them one by one to get a 'full' look.

(make sure you seal those)

you see how these are laid? hardly any grout spaces and no grid marks? this is a good layout

this one too. and it's done w/the gray grout instead of the white.

trust me. that white grout is going to discolor. Make sure to keep it sealed and don't use bleach products

• Julia K
    Original Author
    last year

Very good you are very right but I still think we want to go waterproof vinyl what about something like this

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

That looks pretty good. can you grab a sample to see how it looks in your lighting in the room?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Yikes. Way too much going on.

Folks? You don't need this much in any bath, and you don't begin a single thing in that bath, without all materials planned, and on site. The tile guy, the tile shop, the contractor ? None are your designer. You are. Beware what you do not know. .........if proceeding without one.

• Julia K
    Original Author
    last year

Lol Yikes! I am my own general contractor and designer trying to save money and I really love my shower😎

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

Sorry I agree too many finishes. And that shower floor is awful with the walls. Who did the waterproofing ? I sure hope you nderstood how if it was a DIY job. Now your only choice is a simple no pattern floor in probably a gray and in a porcelain 12 x24 matching grout.

• Beth Bickel
    last year

Your shower is beautiful Julia! For flooring I would lay a large white hex tile with a few black hex (same size) interspersed throughout. My son just did this in his bathroom renovation and it‘s gorgeous. Another option would be a charcoal tile in a very simple pattern. If you want to stay with LVP, go dark gray, or a very light Scandinavian-look with little-to-no variation in the planks.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year
    last modified: last year

Julia, there's a reason why you involve pros w/tile layouts.

Can you tell me what type of waterproofing was done under that shower tile? do you have any pictures? or do you know what was used? not that same purple stuff, I hope.

Who decided to go this high w/the pony wall? look at the cut tile at the bottom.

This would have looked better if you just shortened the half wall by 4-5 inches, and used a full tile. There's no reason it has to be that high. You work around the tile measurements so you don't have to get those tiny cuts. do you have a niche on the other side?

why exactly are you deadset on LVP on this floor?

whatever you used is going to butt right up against that busy tile, so make sure it matches. What are you going to use for molding where those two meet? you'll have to cut the LVP. you'll need a 100% silcone caulk for that joint to waterproof it, but what are you going to use to hide the cut edges?

It also looks like you have a low spot way off to the left.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

I can see no earthly reason for the pony wall. The bench is on the back side!

"why exactly are you deadset on LVP on this floor?"

I'll answer that:

For the same reason she didn't think she needed any help. Problem? You simply have no way of knowing what you don't know.

Thus ? Know this: Just about every single LVP is going to look wrong with the shower you love. There are a few in PLAIN BRIGHT white. That's it. So.you're warned.: ) but welcome to return if you don't heed. Beth won't even say "told Ya"

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last year

Love your shower. I do like doing a quiet "tile" for the floor - nothing too busy. Since you are looking into vinyl - I would suggest Cortec brand. Here are a few pics from their website :

You can order samples. That way you can see what tone goes best with the shower tile.

It is hard to tell from the picture - did you put a light in the shower? If not I would try to add one just outside of the shower - it's nice to have.

Good luck!

• freedomplace1
    last year

Here’s another LVP idea for you:

• Julia K
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you everyone very much! Some of you above are very harsh on my shower, but none the less everyone had there own style and I really love my shower. That being said I totally agree with going with a plain grey floor and I will be ordering tomorrow with everyone’s suggestions! I will be going very basic in the rest of the bathroom and then I can add pops of color with decor and towels

• cpartist
    last year

Julia, the shower is definitely the bold accent in the room and I'm glad you're going with a simple gray tile for the rest of the floor.

Several people asked how the shower was waterproofed. Honestly that is the most important thing of everything. So how was it waterproofed?