Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marina_skar

What would you do with this floor?

Marina S
last year

We recently moved into a house with a solarium that has an outdated tile floor. We painted the frame light gray and I'm not sure what to do about the floor. Looking for a cheaper solution since we don't want to replace it at this time.

A few ideas:

- Cover the floor with tatamis - I like Asian style décor but my partner is not keen on sitting on pillows on the floor :) We're also planning to have lots of plants in this room and I'm not sure if the tatamis would hold up.

- Cover it with an outdoor rug - I don't think I'd be able to find one this size and I'm concerned that putting several would look weird.

- Paint it - Lots of work and not sure how durable this would be.

Any other ideas we should consider?

Adding a few pictures, as you can see we still need to buy furniture as well :)

Comments (39)

• PRO
    AiFL
    last year

What about it is outdated? Looks like a brick tile floor.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year
    last modified: last year

Why are you trying to cover up the floor???!! There's nothing wrong with the floor...there is A LOT wrong with the little scatter rug stuff.

Before you decide a rug, if a rug, any rug? You measure the space. You decide how much seating you may want. Do you want to dine out there? Read out there? You want room for plants......

There is ZERO problem with the floor. It is well suited to getting wet, it's a neutral , it is warm looking. It lends itself to a zillion ways to make a wonderful space. Leave it alone,

• Chris
    last year

I think with a large outdoor area rug and furniture groupings, plants and decor it’ll look nice. Flooring looks in good shape and easy to care for. We have “updated” travertine. It’s such a pain to keep looking nice and mold free.

• jackowskib
    last year

Consider adding a rug that fits half the room for sitting and enjoying the space. Other half is plants for easy mopping.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

Hi. The floor is fine and neutral. Because you do not have the room set up correctly, you are seeing only the floor.

In order to help you, I would need:

1) A photo of all 4 walls of the space

2) An idea of your design style

3) An idea of what other colors/tones are in the adjacent rooms.

• arcy_gw
    last year

Oh good, doubling back to see if I was the only one not getting your issue with that floor. It's PERFECT as in TIMELESS not 'dated', for the room and the WET from plants. If you put in a seating area then get a nice indoor/outdoor for that spot. The rest leave alone.

• Maureen
    last year

It’s a good backdrop and can easily blend into so many looks, but not Asian inspired. Boho could work well if you want casual and comfy and look for a jute or vintage rug to ground seating area and use warm accent colors that play off flooring. Also suggest looking for unique second hand pieces and take your time.

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    last year

It’s a lovely, warm and timeless floor. The gray trim does not blend.

Get a good-sized jute rug, maybe 8x10, and set your furniture conversational grouping on it.

It can be a beautiful space for relaxing and growing plants. I’m envious.

• Snaggy
    last year

Great floor .. change the paint

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

It's a solarium meant to house plants IMO the perfect floor. Maybe give some context as to the rest of the house to see what the iissue really is. One of our homes have a atrium and was my fave space of the whole house. This looks like an awesome space so provide a bit more info .

• shirlpp
    last year

Maybe you just don't like the floor?

I agree with the above, the paint color for the frame is the wrong color.

• ptreckel
    last year

I would paint your frame an ivory or warm white to go better with your fabulous floor. If you wish to cover it, I would look at outdoor carpeting in a faux sisal or sea grass pattern . FAUX, not real natural fiber, that is washable. Carpeting that comes in rolls and can be self bound or edged in fabric. You can buy in regular widths that rolled carpeting comes in…and any length that you want or need to cover the space. You pay by the square foot plus binding.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Looks like a pale gray in the grout. I don't mind the frame color, and depends what she wants out there and what is in the FOREground/interior space. Vistas are important. Just concentrate on how you want to sit out there, draw the room, add dimensions. You aren't ready to buy anything yet.

• tracefloyd
    last year

Look at Woven Polypropelene Straw rugs. They are waterproof and dry right away when you hose them off. You can set plants on them and not worry about water or dirt. Water just goes right thru...they don't stay soggy like other indoor/outdoor rugs.

Very comfy and stylish, everything from the jute look to persian rug look. We have two matching 8x10 ones on our deck in a brown, black and tan medium stripe pattern. Something like that in this room against the brick would work and look great.

Very reasonable cost. We ordered them online but they had them at Costco this summer. I think all the big box stores carry them now. Get the two matching ones.

Bring in some blue and brown in your decor to go with cool tone of your paint and the warm floor.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I just put a fabulous fake grass all around my pool the deck gets so hot in the summer and that just worked perfectly It is from aAmazon comes in may sizes and even wher eit needs to be pieced the edges are all bound so eay to get perfect . I has holes to alow the water to drain so for us the perfect answer . It might be the perfect one for you too. This is the one we went with

Artificial Thick Realistic Grass Mats & Rugs 12' X 15' Synthetic Finished Rug Indoor Outdoor Garden Landscape,Pet Pad Dog,Deck, Pre-Finished Edges Fake Grass

Vi

• Marina S
    Original Author
    last year

Lol, based on the comments here I guess my taste is very unusual (or some might say bad 🤣). I hate the color of the floor, I don't like warm colors in general. I don't have a problem with tile in general but small tiles like these look outdated imo. The floor is also not in great shape, just hard to see it in the pics. I love how the frame came out with the light gray paint against the green backdrop.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

My first thought too was the floor color looked kind of ugly, but as others have pointed out, the gray paint is unfortunate, and I think it's what's making the tile color look weird. I agree that a warm tone would fix that - and repainting would be low cost compared with trying to change the floor, I think.

• Marina S
    Original Author
    last year

The frame used to be unpainted wood, I thought the floor looked ugly back then too :)

• nhb22
    last year

Marina S - Get a large rug in lighter tones since you do not like warmer tones. Purchase one or two depending on the overall size of the porch and if you plan to divide into separate spaces. Fill with furniture and accents of your choice. The floor color will fade away.

Personally, I like the light gray color. It's almost a white and looks very fresh. Can you tell that I prefer a brighter porch. Our porch paint has a hint of gray to blend with the brick color.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

In that case, I wonder if you could simply install manufactured plank flooring over the tile?

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last year

I would buy large sisal rug and forget about it.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

It is okay not to like this tile floor. You are now saying it is also in bad shape.

Yes, you can paint a tile floor, but it tends not to last.

So, your options are to live with it or to replace. You can put lvp over tile, but the base has to be even and in good shape and it sounds like yours is not. Also, transitions and heights need to be considered.

Finally, the rest of the home needs to be considered. What does that look like? Are there warm tones like this througout the rest of the house? If so, will you be changing them also?

Do you have the funds to replace the flooring? If not, rugs will help. I found this in your ideabook. Is this what you are wanting?

Birmingham Showhome · More Info

• PRO
    AiFL
    last year

Sheet vinyl might be a good, cheap option then to just easily cover the floor, but I’ve never been a fan of spending on make due fixes while I save for what I really want because spending money on the make due puts the really want that much further away.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

I have been looking at these for my back patio. Might work to cover what you have.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/runnen-decking-outdoor-dark-gray-90238111/#content

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Here are the KEY words:

"We recently moved into a house with a solarium that has an outdated tile floor..................."

Glaring word? Recently. Here's the concept. You WAIT, save money, and re do to your pale gray, paver, tile etc liking. In the meantime" You buy a nice ready to go 8 x 10, , 9x 12 indoor outdoor PLAIN neutral outdoor rug. Then you add some furnishings and your plant life. The big surprise? You'll still be here, you'll attack the floor, and you won't have died in the w.a.i.t: )

Decorate in haste? Repent at LEISURE.

• zealart
    last year

I'd redo the color on the trim. Pick a warm off white. The cool gray doesn't look right and stands out too much.

• Jilly
    last year

If you’re going to have plants, which inevitably lead to water spills, dirt, etc, I wouldn’t consider installing any kind of temporary flooring over the tile, or painting it. (I wouldn’t anyway.)

Outdoor rug or rugs is what I’d do. Once you get more items in there — rug, plants, furniture — you won’t notice the floors as much.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

If bound and DETERMINED

Ps the op stated she DOES not like warmer colors.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

Hi. Thanks for additional info

You want to change color of floor. It's okay not to like the color. Just make sure you have an overall vision of this room and the home, prior to making changes.

You can

1) Paint the floor (not the best idea, as paint does not do well over tile and you mentioned damage.

2) Change the floor. Don't know if your budget allows.

3) Live with it until you have the funds to change it. A rug will do a lot.

What would you like to do?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Paint it!

• PRO
    Gray Space Interior Design
    last year

I would combine two of your options- a large outdoor rug and the tatamis for a fun looking space until you decide to change the floors. Paint would weather after a few years in a space that gets complete natural light exposure, so I would wait on that! You may be able to cover it with another flooring without having to replace it, but if you're on a budget, a rug and the tatamis are the way to go!

• Marina S
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! I think I will keep it simple for now and just get a large outdoor and see if that combined with furniture & plants makes the floor fade away. If not we can always revisit it later. 

The rest of the house is a mish-mash, we remodeled some parts which are now mostly cool light tones, but some parts are still TBD, but I will get to them eventually.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

That's a good plan. Whatever you do, I recommend not choosing the current colors and loud patterns you have in the space. (I suppose those are temporary and not intentional). They are clashing with the floor.

Stick with mostly solid lighter tones.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

@Marina S " The rest of the house is a mish-mash, we remodeled some parts which are now mostly cool light tones, but some parts are still TBD, but I will get to them eventually. "

Read some articles about creating a whole home color palette. We see so many dilemmas posted because someone has updated one room and now it doesn't work with the next room or they planned on continuing the flooring as they renovated, but the flooring they used isn't available anymore.

Plan everything, then start.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last year

I'm not a fan of the floor, not because it's "outdated" but because it looks like tile that's trying to be brick, but not making it. If it were genuine old brick, I'd like it.

That being said, the easiest, cheapest thing to do now is to cover as much of it as you can with a neutral jute, seagrass or sisal rug. If you are going to have lots of plants, and water is an issue, then use an indoor/outdoor rug, or keep the plants on the tile, not on the rug.

At some point you can replace the floor, but you have to decide when--since you just moved in, you probably have other more pressing priorities. Definitely make up a plan before you do anything!

• elcieg
    last year

Measurements?

Let's say the room is 8 x 10. Buy a rug to cover the floor.

This rug comes in lots of colors, indoor/outdoor/waterproof/great price.

https://www.amazon.com/Fab-Habitat-Reversible-Outdoor-Resistant/dp/B004HG7G3W?th=1

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last year

The floor is not the worst I've seen but might suggest a large outdoor rug that is easily cleanable. It could provide a nice background and should cover up a large portion of the existing pavers.

• nhb22
    last year

Marina S - Wise choice to wait and disguise the flooring for now!

"neutral jute, seagrass or sisal rug"

Be careful when picking out one of those options. As much as I love them, most tend to have a greenish, goldish, or brownish tone that could clash with your painted porch framing.

As you can see with the rugs that I have on my porch, the blue rug has a light gray background, and the larger jute rug has more of a light gray/beige tone that works with the flooring. In a previous house, the rug was in my study, although it is an outdoor jug. I have a more goldish beige toned seagrass rug in an upstairs bedroom that is painted SW Basalt Powder (light grayish toned.) Yet, the rug somehow works with all the combined colors in the room. The comforter helps pull the colors together.