Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wesley_appell6

Is it difficult to convert pendant to recessed lighting?

Wesley Appell
last year

Looking for suggestions on these 3 pendant lights in our new house.

We already swapped out the terrible pendants that were here when we moved in for these cheap temporary fixes, but I'm thinking that the countertop is already so heavy that it might be better to swap them out for 3 recessed cans. Is that a difficult job for a beginner DIYer? Or any suggestions for something that might work better?

Also have the chandelier above the table which has to go!

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    last year

I love can lights but switching these to true recessed cans could be tricky if there is a beam in the way, and if you have to ask then it’s likely out of your skill set? Faux cans could work but I don’t love the light quality. Replace the flush mount in the kitchen at the same time with more cans.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I agree you need to see if a port light would work but IMO the DR light and those pendants do not work together and honestly I do not like the DR light with that table but at least center the table under the light and the fixture is hung too high and IMO too blingy in thta space .

• dan1888
    last year

Remodel 4" led cans are a possible option. For example, Lowes has them with 700 lumens output. 6" remodel can that take an A15 base standard bulb will allow leds from Costco for more lumens. Under cabinet leds would help light your work zones as task lighting. Otherwise, your body will shadow what you're working on. 4" cans above the edge of the counter will also work.

• kandrewspa
    last year

It looks like you have a boob light in the center of the kitchen. While it wouldn't be inexpensive, I would rethink the lighting for the whole kitchen and add more recessed lights. This looks like a flip. More attractive pendants would work too if anything else is out of budget. You're right, that chandelier is terrible - if it weren't for the dangling jewels it would be so much bettter. :-) Lighting manufacturers frequently sell collections with fixtures of different sizes that match. Maybe you could find better pendants and a chandelier in the same collection. Love your table and rug!

• wdccruise
    last year

You can install the Halo SMD4 surface mount light over a junction box. It isn't recessed but it's shallow (9/16") and would eliminate the need to remove the ceiling junction boxes.

• badgergal
    last year

When the built in transformer on one of my 3 low voltage pendant lights burned out, we had the pendants replaced with these.

These lights provide much better lighting than my pendants.I love not having to clean the glass shades on the pendants or change the pendant lightbulbs that burned out more often than they should have. I also like thst there is less visual clutter without the pendants. The new downlights are practically invisible in the ceiling.

Here is a before picture

And an after

The cost of 6 lights and installation by an electrician was less expensive than buying new low voltage pendants and having them installed.

• wdccruise
    last year

@badgergal: "When the built in transformer on one of my 3 low voltage pendant lights burned out, we had the pendants replaced with these..."

That RDL/4RND/9/5CTS includes its own electrical box ("jbox") and would require the removal of the existing ceiling electrical box. There are a gazillion of such "canless" recessed lights.

• kudzu9
    last year

Not to be discouraging, but that may be beyond the skills of a self-described "beginner DIYer." Here is the issue: where the wiring for each of those pendants goes into the ceiling there is an electrical box where the connections are made, and recessed lights require the installation of a can that is installed in the ceiling and would be placed where those electrical boxes are. Here are the steps you would need to do for the install:

1. Turn off the breaker serving that circuit.

2. Disconnect the pendants and shove all the Romex wires out of the holes where they come into the boxes.

3. Physically remove the boxes -- which could be mounted in a variety of ways that you can't access unless there is an attic above that ceiling -- without damaging the sheetrock.

4. Take the Romex wires at each location and do the electrical connections into the boxes that are part of the recessed lighting can; then install the can in the ceiling. (Note: you will need to use a type of can that is called a "rework can" in order to be able to install it in the ceiling by working from below. You can only use a standard, "new work can" if you have an attic space you can work in above the ceiling.)

5. Lastly, be aware that cans are much larger than electrical boxes and you may encounter obstructions in the ceiling space from ductwork or framing that might prevent you from putting in a can exactly where you the existing boxes are. That would mean relocation of on or more cans and patching of the sheetrock.

If that sounds too challenging for your skill set, you'll need to employ an electrician. An alternative would be to get low profile lights that surface mount on the ceiling, which would avoid you having to bust out the existing electrical boxes since surface mounted lights typically have their connections made in electrical boxes like you presently have.

• badgergal
    last year

wdccruise: I know nothing about electricity so thats why I hired an electrician. I was not home when he did the work so I didn't see him remove the electric box. All I know is that he had no trouble doing it. There may be a gazillion of those canless lights but again, all I know is that is particular brand that the electrician provided. They have been installed for over a year and work great for my kitchen. I just wanted to provide a specific example for the OP in case it would help her.