Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie_shanker

to paint or not to paint…

Julie Shanker
last year

Painted mantle to match wall color. Leave brick?!!

Comments (72)

• PRO
    Cossart Design
    last year
    last modified: last year

@Julie Shanker if you are hesitant to go with the same paint color on your walls for the built-ins, you could try going to the paint chip that you originally selected and go a few shades lighter or darker than the wall color. That way you can keep it mostly monochromatic but you can have some slight color variation! And, it will keep you in the same family as far as undertones go - so you do not have the issue of clashing warm and cool tones.

Julie Shanker thanked Cossart Design
  • Julie Shanker
    Original Author
    last year

Great idea!

• eastautumn
    last year

There's a lot more of the same color in your inspiration picture (in the Pigeon color) and it doesn't look like too much, so I wouldn't be afraid to paint your built ins using the same color and finish you used on your fireplace mantel for a cohesive, soothing vibe. If you decide you want a contrast, I'd go a tad darker, not lighter. Lighter colors draw your attention (which is why the built ins are now sticking out like a sore thumb) and darker colors recede. If you don't love the built ins and don't want them to be the focus, go with the same color or one that is darker.

Julie Shanker thanked eastautumn
  • Julie Shanker
    Original Author
    last year

That you so much! i agree! our painter cant paint for a few weeks anyways so i have time to think on it

• houssaon
    last year

I love that color on the wall and the mantle. Go ahead and do the built-ins. It will look totally pulled together and the focus will be back on the cozy fireplace.

Well done!

Julie Shanker thanked houssaon
  • PRO
    lisedv
    last year

Your fireplace looks very nice now that it's accessorized. Not exactlhy the same gray but sufficient to give you an idea of what the built-ins would look like if painted gray.

Julie Shanker thanked lisedv
  • Julie Shanker
    Original Author
    last year

Wow! thanks for the visual!! i teally appreciate it

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

can you do this? Debbie posted a pic earlier

I like the color, but think the mantle and any wood trim on the wall above (like in photo) should be either lighter or darker.

Once you get those built ins built OUT a little further, I think it will look better

remove all of that thin fluted trim and replace w/something heftier.

you could also remove that mantle and just go w/a thick reclaimed beam

• Jilly
    last year

Julie, you’ve done a really nice job decorating, it looks great. It’s a lovely fireplace.

I’d paint the built-ins the same color. I’ve seen similar looks on many IG accounts of English designers, Farrow & Ball IG, etc. It’s got a sophisticated feel without being stuffy.

“I’m kinda over the stark White tbh.”

I understand your vision and think you’re really going to love it.

Example on the F & B Instagram page … this built-in looks so much better painted the same color:

• User
    last year

TBH, I would paint the mantel back to white and do something with the bricks. I think the grey mantel is too matchy. But also, will you paint the trim around the built ins grey while keeping the baseboards are white? I think that little conundrum would throw me off.

For the bricks, I would start by seeing if darkeing just the mortar makes it better. Maybe toning down the contrast will be the change you need. If you don't like it, try whitewashing. Still don't like it? Solid paint color.

This was very tough to mock up because the left side is white light and the right side is warm. also, it's really tough to do an accurate mockup of painting red bricks, but this might give you a vague idea:

1. darken the mortar for lower contrast:

2. Whitewash:

3. very dark charcoal (choose matte or satin, never gloss):

My recommendation: paint the mantel back to white and try one of the following:

Darkening just the mortar only:

Whitewash (honestly my favorite here):

Dark charcoal (my second favorite):

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

Seattle, great mock ups. Can you do a whitewash w/the charcoal mantle?

I love the dark against that wall color and the white.

• User
    last year

Great idea Beth! I went with a slightly lighter charcoal here, with a drop of warmth to it.

again, it's so hard to mock up whitewash, so this is just a vague idea:

With charcoal built-ins:

(edit) one more: tile over just the hearth with matte black:

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

I like the first one. (although, I like the brick as is or pained. either way looks fine to me)

with the built ins, I'd move them forward (when she can get to it), replace the fluted trim w/regular, and consider painting the backs of the built ins in the charcoal. Keep the cabinets white

I'm not digging the 'eyeball' lights though. very distracting.

played around w/the white brick and a wood beam mantle too

built in ideas w/styling. remove the trim altogether

how about copying the built ins shown here, and the wood trimwork above the mantle?

• RedRyder
    last year

Go for the same color on the built ins, or one shade above or below. Personally, I think all one color will do wonders for that entire fireplace wall.

And leave the brick.

• PRO
  • PRO
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

love the dark one, but it has to have the wood trimwork above it. and that trimwork will meld into the bookcases so they look as one unit

here is the look w/o painting the brick
    (and remove the eyeballs)

• Julie Shanker
    Original Author
    last year

Wow. Thank you all for the mock ups. So many great ideas. I didn’t expect such a response! Thank you.

• RedRyder
    last year

Let us see the final result after you paint!

• Jilly
    last year

I wanted to share some gorgeous inspiration for the future, when/if you plan on redoing the fireplace and shelves.

These are all Heidi Caillier designs … she can do no wrong in my book. :)

• Julie Shanker
    Original Author
    last year

Omg! I just saw these on instagram!! How weird!! Looks almost identical to my color!

• Jilly
    last year

How funny!

It is beautiful and reminded me of your room.

(Love these green sofas!)

• Julie Shanker
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you jinx! I’m going to have to follow her! I just saw one of her pictures posted on instagram too!!

• Jilly
    last year

We were posting the same thing at the same time. :D

• RedRyder
    last year

@Jinx did you a huge favor by finding these photos. Your room will be wonderful if you follow this look.

• Jilly
    last year

Thank you, Red … I don’t know why I didn’t think of Holly yesterday! She’s one of my favorite designers, and is so talented at tone on tone/mixing similar tones — she has this amazing way of bringing depth and interest in what could be very flat looks. Her rooms are so classically beautiful and inviting.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

this is beautiful. This is what I mean by continuing up w/the wood trim accent. This look works because of it (if it was merely drywall w/no connection to the bookcases, it would be a diff look)

scroll up to my first comment. I tried to photoshop one onto this one (not that good though) to show what I meant.

The vivirdesign girl does it beautifully.

Julie Shanker thanked Beth H. :
  • Jilly
    last year

It’s a Heidi Caillier room, I posted it above.

(Vivir Design was just reposting it.)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

I'll have to check out her work. thanks.

• Jilly
    last year

Both accounts have lots of eye candy. :)

• Julie Shanker
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Beth and jinx. I have a lot of work to do in this room. We are renovating our kitchen, so this room is just cosmetic surface updates. I should have showed you the whole room. I love the idea of adding trim to our drywall above the fireplace. That is something that’s reasonable. We haven’t done any updates to this room other than paint I agree the eye ball lights are terrible, and I don’t necessarily love the trim on these shelves or the lack of symmetry. We also have two built ins in the back of the room. Do we paint those to? Also, please don’t judge the shelf accessories. I just used what I have around the house. This room needs work for sure.

• Jilly
    last year

Yes, I’d paint everything to get the look you like. It would be very warm and sophisticated. You’re planning big changes later, so might as well go for it until then. :)

I’d get an area rug, too, to layer over the carpet.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last year

Your walls appear taupe in the photo. Taupe seldom looks good when paired with gray like your mantle and surround. If you leave your wall color I would suggest white for the fireplace - mantle, surround and brick.

• Jilly
    last year

Norwood, it’s all the same color, and that is the look Julie is going for. The fp surround and walls are not different colors. It’s right in the op:

”Painted mantle to match wall color.”

The aesthetic she‘s going for is very clear if you read through the thread.

[Edited for clarification.]

• Julie Shanker
    Original Author
    last year

The color is actually SW Poised Taupe its the same on the walls and the mantle! Jinx, youre right i should just go for it

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

Julie, since you already have so many shelves and bookcases, what do you think about closing off the two on either side of fireplace? The one on the right for sure since it looks dwarfed against the larger one w/the tv.

Theyre set so far back, to me I think it's a bit distracting.

Not the best photoshop, but you get the idea

• anna_682
    last year

I agree with Beth. I would close off the bookshelves or put doors on them. Pop open magnetic doors. Add trim above the mantel for depth and interest.

• Jilly
    last year

You’ve probably seen your inspiration room decorated for Christmas … I don’t follow the account, but it showed up in my IG feed today. :)

So lovely:

• zeld
    last year

whitewashed

• cat_ky
    last year

The white is way too stark. Its better if all the cabinets are the wall color like your inspiration pictures.

• Julie Shanker
    Original Author
    last year

Yes, Beth H. I agree they are too much. I wish they had some symmetry

• Julie Shanker
    Original Author
    last year

Update!! We are in the process of painting. Will post back finished pictures. Wow does paint make a difference.

• Julie Shanker
    Original Author
    last year

This is just first coat of paint fyi. Window trim will also be painted. Open to suggestions for different window treatments!

• Jilly
    last year

Wow, Julie, it’s looking wonderful! Thanks for sharing updates. I love it.

• RedRyder
    last year

Looking great already! Paint is a true miracle product.....:)

• Julie Shanker
    Original Author
    last year

So happy with how it turned out. The color doesn’t picture right, it’s gorgeous and cozy in person. So glad we did it. Now I need to style my shelf’s, add an accent rug and some accent chairs. Thinking a moss or olive green. Thank you all for your help!! Window treatments need to come next.

• Jilly
    last year

Julie, it turned out fantastic. What a difference!

The brick color looks so good with everything else painted. The room looks warm and cozy now, and with a nicely unified and sophisticated style.

Great job — you followed your vision and turned it into a room you love. :)

It’s been fun watching the progress!

• Julie Shanker
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for all of your help and positivity, Jilly!

• June Michael Barroso
    last year

This looks great!

• Julie Shanker
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you! After having lived with it I LOVE IT