Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_doherty

Correct way to add exterior trim (PVC) around a curved window?

Bill Doherty
last year

my house being built will have vinyl horizontal siding and black fiberglass windows. I want white trim around the windows. I'm thinking 4" wide trim but could be a little narrower I suppose.

I'd prefer it not be wood so I don't have to paint it.

How should they deal with the curved top of the window? I just want it to be done right and look right. Looking for proessional direction. Thx in advance. Bill

Comments (14)

• PRO
    PPF.
    last year

• PRO
    PPF.
    last year

How should they deal with the curved top of the window?

Who is "they"? Why do you ask? Have you discussed this detail, and how the vinyl siding will terminate against the trim with your contractor?

Have the windows been ordered? That's a rather unusual grid pattern.

Bill Doherty thanked PPF.
  • Bill Doherty
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for responding. I tried to keep it short but see now more detail is needed.

"They" is the person who will do the trim work.

This window has already been installed and trimmed with 1x4 wood and wrapped in white aluminum. except for the curved section which hasn't been wrapped and I was told it could'nt be wrapped so should be painted white. It looks terrible and unprofessional and needs to be fixed..

I was only told they would be white trimmed. I was expecting pvc or some other maintenance free material since the horizontal siding is vinyl and the windows fibergalss.

The siding has J-trim againt the window trim . Now that I think of it I didn't see the detail of how the j-trim was treated along the curved top.

All the windows and doors were selectd thru the builder and his window and door provider. It was agreed the exterior would be vinyl, white trimmed windows and the black fiberglass essential model windows.

I'm trying to find out for myslef if there is a more apprpraite, professional way the wndows should have been trimmed..

If more detail is required let me know. I'm the owner but not living in the state this house is being built. I notice this detail on my trip earlier this week to review the progress.

Thx,

Bill

• PRO
    toddinmn
    last year

Have them use a custom sheet metal shop to make them.

Bill Doherty thanked toddinmn
  • PRO
    BobH
    last year

Have a carpenter put Azek on the sides and bottom Across the arch they can either heat the Azek and bend it or cut the arch shape out of a large piece. Of course flashing goes over top of the trim and behind the siding.

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    last year
    last modified: last year

If it was to be made from an actual PVC "type" product like Azek, they'd just make a pattern and cut out of a taller board. That wouldn't necessarily match better than paimted wood though. If cladding is desired, it can be done with the face and returns as separate pieces, however it needs to be done by someone with a high level of skill to come out nice. The "lobster tail" is an option as well, although that is used more often on full half rounds.

As for the J, the arch isn't extreme so they may have been able to form that to the opening.

• Steve Grimes
    last year

azek or like pvc is fairly flexible and can usually be heated or pattern cut. With linear profiles a good carpenter can also cut "kerfs" in the back so that it will bend to a window profile.

Bill Doherty thanked Steve Grimes
  • Chloe cc
    last year

like this one, upvc arched window with grills?

Bill Doherty thanked Chloe cc
  • Bill Doherty
    Original Author
    last year

this is it but not a clear picture. The contractor wrapped the side trims in white aluminum but the top curve is painted wood.

• dan1888
    last year
    last modified: last year

Turn the pvc sideways. It bends easily. Cut strips and stack them. Use glue in a simple curve form with waxed paper on the bottom to release. Many 3D design possibilities that go beyond the norm. This is finish carpentry. Not for installers.

Bill Doherty thanked dan1888
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

This might work. Cut each half of the arch out of two boards. Splice them together and cover the seam with a 'keystone' shape.

Bill Doherty thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • Bill Doherty
    Original Author
    last year

The builder is going to remove what's there and replace with all white pvc on this window and if acceptable then do all the other windows. Thanks for the all responses.

• elcieg
    last year

The frame of the window is trim. The windows are black....it would be something like this, only the windows will be black.