Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beeleeanne

Need ideas for this space!!

beeleeanne
last year

This is a “secondary living space / game room” set between two bedrooms at my in-laws. It’s the first thing you see when entering the house from the garage thru the laundry room (2nd pic) and it’s passed by when entering thru the front door (3rd pic). She is wanting a mud room area for shoes and jackets and a lounge space for when the grandkids (teenagers) come over and I am stumped looking at this blank space. Any ideas / suggestion would be much appreciated!

Comments (18)

• millworkman
    last year

Have a floor plan with all dimensions by chance? Tough to gather much from the pictures dimension wise.

• Kendrah
    last year

I do think it is quite possible to combine mudroom and hangout space. They are two different fuctions but color, style, finishes can unify them. A few questions:

What do the grandkids like to do when they come to Grandma's house? Will they be on their phones texting in this space, want to watch a big tv, play games, lounge around and talk, read a book? Do you actually see them using this space or do you imagine them wanting to gravitate elsewhere - like the kitchen or a den with a big TV? As a teen, we always hung out in my grandparents basement because we wanted to be as far away from the adults as we could get!

What is her style? What do the rest of the rooms in her home look like?

• beeleeanne
    Original Author
    last year

The space is roughly 15x20. The kids are all teenagers so texting, tv, video games and board games. Plus, when she has family visiting from Greece & New York they will stay in the rooms and occupy the space as well so it needs to be multi-functional. She is currently re-vamping her style to a more neutral decor but i would say it’s a vintage renaissance style with a lot of mahogany, green and brass/gold. She has a ton of art paintings in gold frames and a million and one family photos throughout the house. I think what is throwing me off is what the focal point should be and where to hang a TV.

• Kendrah
    last year

Comfortable sofa under the window. Two swivel chairs across from it (they will be on the other side of the door frames.) Left wall between entrance and left bedroom door center a console table and hand TV with arm above it. Tilt TV towards the sofa when in use. Right wall between entrance and right bedroom door a mudroom unit.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last year
    last modified: last year

Something like from Fixer Upper

• beeleeanne
    Original Author
    last year

Would something like this work around the window? And then a small table and two chairs for a chess board in front of it. And then on the other half do a tv on the left wall with a built in console to act as the “mud room” for shoes and stuff and a small couch on the right wall with art above it?

• Kendrah
    last year

You need to ask your MIL what she wants in the "mudroom". A place to hang coats, put shoes, toss purses, shopping bags, back packs? When you describe using a console as a mudroom, I'm confused.

The large window seats you are showing under the window in the pictures below don't look nearly as comfortable to me as a sofa.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year
    last modified: last year

IMO we need to actually see how this space relates to the rest of the house before commenting on how to make it a mud room. So a to scale foor plan of the whole main living area including this .Please post the plan here in a comment do not strat another post.

• beeleeanne
    Original Author
    last year

I don’t have a scale floor plan otherwise I would have posted it. The photos attached are all I have and it’s not specifically just a mud room. It’s basically a secondary living space in between two guest bedrooms that needs some love!

• PRO
    Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
    last year

Hello Beeleeann, So many great questions. As already suggested; can we have a hand drawn scketch of the room with measurements that include the window and door measurements. That will make a great deal of difference when providing realistic suggestions for the room. Thank you in advance.

• PRO
    The Best Dressed House
    last year

Let budget and priorities be your guide! If you need storage space, you could could shorten the width of the opening and install closets on each side. They could be hall facing or inside the room. This would bring some privacy into the space, which would make it a little more enjoyable for an overnight guest to stay there. Also would dull the sound of tv and loud games being played.

• latifolia
    last year

Any chance of extending the solid flooring into the first part of the space? It's hard to imagine "mudroom" being compatible with light-colored carpeting.

• PRO
    last year

This looks like a new purchase. Is this Home new to your mom in law?

• PRO
    last year

Hello Bee,

Happy Holidays to you and yours. I put together a 3D rendition with some suggestions for this space. I went off of the pictures and a 15' x 20' room. I am uncertain about the placement of the doors in the room and the size of the wall so please understand that I am throwing out my best guess. Most of all this is just meant to be suggestions and possibilities only. The actual placement of the furniture can be fine-tuned if we get some additional measurements. Also, I know that this is not in keeping with your MIL's style but it is only the furniture placement that is being suggested, not the style or colors.

In the rendition you will find:

2 swivel chairs that seat two people.

One couch that seats 4 people

One floor lamp

One large coffee table that can double as a game table

A banquette that can also be used to play table or card games as well as extra dining.

One small service bar for snacks and beverages.

Wall shelving for additional items.

A large bookshelf/media/ game center.

One 8' x 10' area rug. That is if your MIL decides to replace the carpet with something that holds up to high traffic and so on.

Hope this helps. Best Wishes, MAE

• beeleeanne
    Original Author
    last year

I do love the idea of extending the wood floors into this room! And these 3D renditions are amazing and extremely helpful to visualize this space being useful. Thank you so much!

• PRO
    last year

It is my pleasure! Happy to know it helped! I included pictures of the New York skyline just for fun. Happy holidays to you and yours. MAE