Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stiley

What's the best attractive countertop coffee maker?

stiley
last year

We remodeled our kitchen and will keep nothing on our counters except a crock with utensils beside the stove and a coffee maker beside the sink. I want to upgrade our current boring-but-good coffee maker to something more beautiful. So far I've found Moccamaster, but they don't make a programmable maker, and the De'Longhi. Do you have any recs for brands or places to look? I've shopped Williams Sonoma and Sur La Table. We're not coffee connoisseurs but do really enjoy a strong black cup in the morning. Thanks!

Comments (52)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    last year

I don't find any coffeemaker attractive. You can get a small Keurig (? 1 cup) if you don't need a big honkin' one.

• stiley
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Right now we have this programmable Krups. (Panel for that appliance is supposed to be installed this week.) But this is the view into the kitchen from the living room so I want something nice. I'm OK with overkill as long as it's pretty. :) I think we would make espresso in the afternoon sometimes.

• malabacat
    last year

I really like this one. The reviews are overall good, though many say it is messy with the grounds. Others disagree. I do not own it, but I'm thinking of getting it. It comes in two other colors also.

• aziline
    last year

What a beautiful space. A Jura would look very nice on the counter. I've had the S8 for a year now.

• always1stepbehind
    last year

if you are happy with the coffee maker you have, I'd put it on a tray and add a couple coffee making accessories (even if you dont use them) to make a pretty vignette.

• vinmarks
    last year

What about a white coffee maker? The black really stands out.

• clt3
    last year

We have and love this one. A couple of reasons - larger capacity than many (60 oz), thermal carafe ( I get up much earlier than my husband), and it really contains the steam. Our previous model ruined the finish under one wall cabinet .

• mcarroll16
    last year

I have the same Breville machine as clt3, and it is awesome. Super-programmable if you want to get really geeky with your brew, but simple push-and-go great coffee for normal coffee drinkers. And you can program an auto-brew so you can wake up to hot coffee.

• jaja06
    last year

If your priority is pretty, I love these lever espresso machines. You’d probably have to learn quite a bit to get good espresso out of it though 😊

• bry911
    last year

@stiley - I recommend the Mochamaster... you get past the programmable start pretty fast when the coffee just tastes better. They don't do a programmable version because they don't want the water and the coffee grounds setting in the coffee maker all night getting stale. At first, I was dubious, but now I love it and would never change, nor would I add water and coffee the night before.

My built in coffeemaker doesn't ever get used and it supposedly makes great coffee...

• Danielle Gottwig
    last year

I have this Mocca Master - a different model. Its works really well and is beautiful. However, as you observed, it is not programmable:

• JP L
    last year

Kettle and french press. Makes delicious coffee and can be stored away when not in use. I'm the most disorganized person in the morning, and even I think this set-up is easy enough. Plus, I don't have the patience for cleaning a multi-part dedicated countertop coffeemaker.

• lisaam
    last year

cleaning a french press is my most hated kitchen task. i do use an aeropress and don’t mind getting that, the grinder, and filter out each morning.

• JP L
    last year

Really @lisaam?!? Mine is two pieces - the glass carafe and the plunger - I legit rinse them off and put them on the rack to dry! When I'm visiting my Dad, cleaning his old school coffeemaker drives me nuts - I never feel like I actually am able to get it clean. Always interesting learning different perspectives on daily activities, though!

• mcarroll16
    last year

Agree with lisam, I deeply loathe cleaning a french press. My personal favorite is Chemex pourover, for great coffee and simplest cleanup. But DH hates the fussiness.The Breville and the Moccamaster make pour-over style coffee with the convenience of a machine.

• stiley
    Original Author
    last year

@vinmarks good point about the color. Our floors are black so maybe that's why the overall picture hadn't bothered me. But now I can't unsee it!

@bry911 glad to hear you like your Moccamaster. But I was thinking that I could get around the unprogrammable feature by prepping the night before. Is this machine going to turn us into coffee snobs? Ha!

@jaja06 that is indeed beautiful! @aziline those Juras are really pretty too. You all have given me good stuff to think about!

• Missy P
    last year

I had a Wilfa for years. Good coffee for the non-connoisseur, always lots of comments on the style.

• bry911
    last year

@stiley - To be honest, it may well turn you into a coffee snob... I got it because my youngest son is a coffee snob (his best friend's family owned a coffee shop where he spent a lot of time). I really didn't know what I was missing prior to that and there is certainly a downside to preferring your home coffeemaker to any other. I occasionally have to settle for Starbucks...

You can prep things the night before if you want, but in all fairness it just doesn't take that much time to add water and grounds. Ours sets near the sink and we just use the hand sprayer to add water. The filter and grounds don't take that long so I just do the whole thing when I come down in the morning. It only takes 3 minutes to brew a pot and since the coffee is brewed at exactly 205 degrees it is the optimal temperature as soon as it is brewed.

• Jennifer Svensson
    last year

Excellent, and looks great.

https://www.wilfa.us/wilfa-precision/

stiley thanked Jennifer Svensson
  • wiscokid
    last year

I think I would get the Cafe that malabacat posted, only in the matte white version - it would look fabulous in that space! (I love your backspash, btw). We have that machine (SS version) and we like it very much. It would be made better only if it had a removable water reservoir for easier/more thorough cleaning. Otherwise, it makes excellent coffee and has many options for brewing styles and preferences, the thermal carafe keeps the coffee very hot, and it's programmable. It replaced an OXO Barista Brain, which we also liked, but gave up the ghost a couple of years ago.

• thisisnotadrill
    last year

I have a gaggia cadorna prestige that i love. They even come with different 'panels' on the sides in different faux wood, marble etc though i went with standard black

• clt3
    last year

No experience with this one, but beautiful to look at.

Saw it at C & B.

• pricklypearcactus
    last year

I have zero experience with this coffee maker, but I think this would look nice in your space. I'd want something somewhat minimal so it doesn't draw the eye and I think the idea of white is a good one. Or alternatively, stainless.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/smeg-drip-coffee-maker/

• Susan W
    last year

Man, I'm really old school. This is literally the only thing (other than some pretty cutting boards) that resides permanently on my countertop.

And in our opinion, it also makes the best coffee.

• lucky998877
    last year

I've had a Moccamaster for years, nothing better for home use! It brews so fast (and quietly), you won't even miss the programming feature. The coffee it makes is so worth the tiny wait time, and the cost of the machine. I'm European, all of my family has one (they cost half the price in Europe)...they really are the 15+ year coffee maker. I like the Dallmayr German coffee, what a fantastic way to start a day :)

• einportlandor
    last year

I've always admired Chemex coffeemakers. I think they're so simple and elegant. Maybe one day I'll actually buy myself one. In the meantime I'm a kettle and Mellita gal, using whole bean coffee freshly ground for each cup.

• chinacatpeekin
    last year

I have a Bonavita, and love it. Aesthetically, I’m not sure a classic Chemex can be beat- but I’m not one who can “make coffee” in the morning before I’ve actually had my coffee.

• Mary
    last year

I’ve had a Jura for two years and love it. Makes perfect coffee on demand and looks beautiful.

• Alan Strassberg
    last year

FYI - Consumer Reports January 2023 - has an article "Top Coffee Makers

From Our Tests" with ratings.

• bry911
    last year

I would advise against using Consumer Reports... their testing, while well intentioned, often has significant problems. If you want a good quality coffee maker then I recommend using the SCA (Specialty Coffee Association) Certification program.

https://sca.coffee/certified-home-brewer

• stiley
    Original Author
    last year

The Chemex ones are so pretty--handblown glass! Wow. I ordered a Moccamaster in off-white and will report back. Thanks so much for all the suggestions and thoughts!

• Patriciae
    last year

If you must have programmable go on line and look up a timer to go with your new Moccamaster. You need one that is rated for higher amperage. There are a bazillion kinds to chose from. Plug into outlet and plug coffee maker into timer. Problem solved. we used one for years.

• Cat Liz
    last year

We too own the mocha master and love it. We love the fact they are made in the Netherlands.

• Danielle Gottwig
    last year

There's an explanation somewhere in the Mocca Master manual I received, that went something like this: "We could have put a timer on this coffee maker, but then you would drink stale coffee. We know you would not want to drink stale coffee."

I'm sure it wasn't worded quite this way - and might be a translation - but that is how I heard it. I laughed. I think that was the only time I've felt chastised by a manual.

You .... might become a coffee snob? But then, its cute, it comes in all the colors, and mine hasn't broken yet despite my using it 4x a day.

• pricklypearcactus
    last year

Here's another white one that would look nice in your kitchen.

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/haden-heritage-ivory-and-copper-12-cup-programmable-coffee-maker/s379623

I also like the look of the one that @clt3 posted.

• M Miller
    last year

I really like the looks of the Melitta coffee maker that @clt3 posted. I am linking it below at Crate & Barrel. It is called the Melitta Vision White. I have the Oxo 9-cup coffee maker. The Oxo is not attractive. Nope, not in the slightest bit. But it makes really great coffee. There was a Mothers Day sale on Amazon a couple of years ago and I bought the Oxo for $120, and I see it is now $229!

The beauty of the Melitta is giving me pause, I must say. I wonder whether it makes good coffee. Or is that rose metal prone to discoloration like many rose metals are? Sigh, the price of beauty. Here is a another photo of it with the wood trim closeup.

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/melitta-vision-white-12-cup-drip-coffee-maker/s380549

• smalloldhouse_gw
    last year

Just wanted to weigh in as I went through something similar - our small kitchen is visible from the front door so I wanted something lovely. I bought the Cafe model mentioned above in the matte white - it looked really nice but had technical issues that required multiple replacements (under warranty.) From the reviews, it seemed like these issues are common so I wouldn't recommend it. The Smeg coffeemakers also had too many questionable reviews. In the end, we've been making do with a utilitarian white Cuisinart ... but now this thread has me oogling other options once again...

• stiley
    Original Author
    last year

Hi, this is a fun thread! Thanks for the good options. We've been using our new Moccamaster for a couple of weeks now. We generally like it -- it's easy to fill with water, and I like being able to take the basket off and set on the counter to fill. I've been filling it at night, and my husband pushes the button when he gets up in the morning. The manual says to use bleached white filters, and it came with a couple so I used them, and I feel like I could taste the paper. We went back to our old brown filters. It holds 10 cups compared to our old one which held 12, and we could use those extra 2 cups; I've had to make another half pot some mornings. But not a huge deal because it brews about 3x faster than our old one. It's cute and easy to use, so it's a keeper.

New vs old

• Laurel C
    last year

I'm a sucker for an electric kettle and something like a ceramic hario v60. Would be nice to eliminate my burr grinder, but I'll take the tradeoff for freshly ground coffee.

• Danielle Gottwig
    last year

Welcome to the dark side! Your corner looks very happy.

• rwiegand
    last year

I love my Jura superautomatic. Have had one for ~30 years now. First at the office because I was sick of the perpetual mess in the coffee area and then at home. Great coffee and very efficient-- no waste. I"m pretty sure I've saved the purchase price in coffee not wasted several times over now. I would never have a pod or capsule maching, the k-cups etc are an environmental disaser, and completely unnecessary.

• stiley
    Original Author
    last year

@rwiegand I looked at the Juras but only saw ones that make a single cup. Is that correct? We like to make a big ol’ pot.

• rwiegand
    last year

Yes, they just ake a single cup, but it takes ~30 seconds. You push the button, it grinds and brews immediately. The coffee is always fresh. We seldom have more than 2-3 coffee drinkers in the house at a time so it works fine. You probably wouldn't want to have one serving the break for a 30 person meeting.

• mcarroll16
    last year

Coffee is for happiness, and so buying something gorgeous like that Melitta just makes sense. :)

My dream machine, when our Breville dies, is the Ratio, but I will never convince DH to spend that much for looks.

• typeandrun
    last year

I use a french press, and for me it is so easy to clean. Swish water in it and plunge to loosen any grounds, then air dry.

I have a vintage coffee pot on my counter that stores the grounds.

• Lynn Lou
    last year

@stiley Your kitchen is gorgeous! New coffee pot looks great!

@M Miller Darn you for posting the link for that Melitta!! I saw the pic of it posted, but didn't bother to go search for it. I may have to give up our Bunn for that beauty lol!

@barncatz Report back how you like the Melitta please :) I like that it is 12 cups vs our current 10 cup. Not a huge fan of having to use filters though. But it sure is pretty!

• mcarroll16
    last year

The Breville is so-so, looks-wise, but it makes great coffee. You will make someone very happy by passing it on, so enjoy the Melitta w/o any guilt.

• decornectarinered
    last year

I'd recommend looking at Smeg, KitchenAid, and Cuisinart for programmable coffee makers. If you're looking for something aesthetically pleasing, you can also check out brands like Wilfa, Bodum, and Bosch. Additionally, you may want to take a look at websites like Amazon, Wayfair, and Bed Bath & Beyond for a variety of options.