Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
countrygirl2323

Don’t have a decorating bone in my body

countrygirl2323
last year
last modified: last year

Help! The fact that I hate clutter, like open, non-crowded spaces, have absolutely no talent for decorating, and am completely intimidated by making decorating decisions, means I do basically nothing. But I have a couple pressing things in our great room that need addressed.

1. We currently have a leather couch, chair and ottoman, but I need more seating. We are keeping the couch. I was thinking of putting 1 chair where the leather chair is now and 1 chair where the Christmas tree is in front of the window. Would it be better to keep the leather chair and get 1 new fabric chair or get rid of the leather chair and get 2 new fabric chairs? What color? What about ottomans? ETA: I just realized the ottoman isn’t in these pictures. We moved it to try the chair/ottoman in a different location and hadn’t moved it back yet.
  2. I want to get a new media stand with closed storage to hide some of the fireplace clutter (matches, kindling, etc).
  3. I have no idea how to decorate the mantle. Any suggestions welcome!
  4. I would like to do something with the dead corner to the left of the entry foyer (the wall where the little robot vacuum is parked right now).
  5. I think I need a rug by the entryway, but overall, we don’t use rugs in our house due to allergy issues.
  6. Completely open to other ideas, keeping in mind that too much furniture in a space overwhelms me:). But I recognize sometimes people need a place to put their drinking glass down at.

Thanks!

Comments (44)

• amykath
    last year

The thing I noticed first was the back of the sofa. I would get a sofa table to put behind it. That will add interest and hide the wrinkled back.

I would also want a rug, side tables, a coffee table, lots of lamps and a throw and some pillows on the couch and/ or chairs.

Also some art would help the space with some interest, texture and color.

I think you will just need to take your time. You can find amazing deals on FB Marketplace, Offerup and any other kind of low cost antique store.

As for chairs, I would get two fabric chairs.

You have a lovely room, that is always a great start!

• ffpalms
    last year

Here’s a few thoughts that immediately come to mind.

Looks I Like · More Info

A hanging rattan chair would look fantastic where your Christmas tree is.

Since you have allergy issues, I would keep the leather chair and ottoman ( I don’t see the ottoman - is it a matching leather?), and invest in a beautiful low console instead. When it’s time to replace your TV, I would splurge on a very large frame TV so that you have beautiful art on display when the TV isn’t in use.

Artwork · More Info

• amykath
    last year

I also noticed you have some lovely spaces saved in your ideabooks. I would look at them and see what it is you like about each room.

• ffpalms
    last year

You have a beautiful stone fireplace. I would keep the decor minimal and natural.

• happyleg
    last year

If you prefer to sit on the couch right watching TV you could leave it that way or you can angle the couch to the fireplace if that gives you a more comfortable laying down for you to watch TV you could do it that way or you could turn the couch to face the window if you use chairs or you prefer to sit or lay down to watch TV on the couch

• ffpalms
    last year

C tables might be a good solution for a place to put drinks.

• ffpalms
    last year

Your TV appears to be mounted too high for optimum viewing. Here’s a guide to help determine how high it should be and how far away to place the furniture.

Helpful Info · More Info

• ffpalms
    last year

That corner near the foyer looks like a great place to hang black and white photos. I’d do both walls nearly floor to ceiling for a great impact.

• ffpalms
    last year

You need a very large doormat for your double door entry. Look for one that can be taken out and hosed down.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

First, lower TV. Here are a combination of neutrals and deeper color accents. I put a faux sisal indoor/outdoor rug. Clients with allergies have had good luck with these. Open design sofa table and chairs. Add some texture and color with chairs but no prints for minimal look. Round black frame mirror leaning on mantel with wood carved finial, smaller black framed simple art layered in front of mirror and faux Pearl green plant for mantle. New console for TV AND either lower TV or set on top of TV console. Large faux plant to right of TV console for height and warmth. Sone minimal accessories for console table with baskets below to contain clutter. C tables or “drink tables” help keep things minimal but functional. I can give you sources for all these items. All budget friendly. 😊

• arcy_gw
    last year

When I saw your pictures I thought ACOUSTIC NIGHTMARE. Reading I hear you on the allergies but still the suggestion of the sisel carpet might be just what you need. Also the sofa table suggestion could eliminate the need for a lot of end tables since they may get too much for you. Your TV looks to be where I have mine and in that large room is fine for how far back you are sitting. It has worked for us for years. I was not pleased when we went from a gas fireplace to the wood burning we have now, when we moved. For years I had a mirror in the back of the firebox with a large candle bara holding 12 pillar candles I burned. The idea of the MESS with wood burning fireplaces, was more than I could deal with! And frankly I wonder how it works with your allergy issues? As the kids got older I softened a bit. And we now love a roaring fire to reduce our heat bills and cozy the room. I hear you on a larger TV stand your room can handle the bulk. All you need inside the door is a table for keys/mail. But beware it will be a magnet for clutter as so many horizonal spaces are!! So many of the suggestions I read are not cluing into your allergy problems. I wonder if asking for decorating is counter indicated to how most live here!! Less is more to the extent you prefer might not be the skill set you find here.

• countrygirl2323
    Original Author
    last year

@amykath Thanks for the suggestions! I hadn’t considered a sofa table, but that might be a good way to add interest and a flat space to set stuff down without seeming too crowded. And I’m embarrassd to say we’ve been in the house for over a year and I still haven’t hung a single piece of art/picture. They are all still in moving boxes.

@ffpalms Thanks you, lots of good suggestions. I’m definitely intrigued by the hanging rattan chair and I love the media console you pictured. And I didn’t even know tv’s that display art existed! That is a great idea. I actually have a grouping of black and white photos that I have yet to unpack and I like the suggestion to put them on that wall near the entry.

@happyleg Thanks for the suggestion of other possible furniture layouts. I might play around with changing the couch orientation a little and seeing what I think.

@Flo Mangan Thank you for the suggestions and pictures. I’d love links to the tv console and sisal rug if you have them handy.

@arcy_gw Thanks for chiming in. I agree, the sisal rug might be a good option for us. And the sofa table might be a good way to get some flat space without seeming too full for my tastes. Surprisingly, the fireplace doesnt seem to be an issue for our allergy sufferers. But maybe that is because it is all hard surfaces that can be vaccumed daily. Rugs and carpets seem to be the real culrpit since they hold on to the dust and dog hair more (despite daily vacuuming) and then the kids like to sit and lay on the floor.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Here is the console. I need to hunt a bit more for the rug. Bbl

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Here is rug. Rugsusa.com

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

This rug is indoor/outdoor faux sisal. It has subtle pattern.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Love minimalist looks. So calming and easy to live with. Touches of dark tones for contrast is a way to bring some zip without a cluttered feeling.

• tfitz1006
    last year

Mabe take out some of your artwork and give us pics. nice to shop your own house first.

• RedRyder
    last year

First of all, your floors are gorgeous and your house has amazing space. I like what you did at the entryway too.

I would not do a hanging chair because you have a tray ceiling. Leave it alone. A textured, interesting chair (instead of a standard upholstered or leather one)would definitely add interest to the room.

The tv console recommended by Flo and a console behind the couch also give you a place to put lamps.

If you start with those items, and a rug, you will be surprised how pulled together the place will look.

And, if you lay out some photos you want to display, you will get great ideas for filling the walls with happy pictures.

Lastly, colorful pillows for the couch will add some fun to your neutral decor.

• hbeing
    last year

add big area rug -front legs of sofa and love seat should rest on rug. add at least 1 end table (btween sofa/love), coffee table if u like those

• btydrvn
    last year

I would add a wall to create a closed foyer….using the added wall for coat hooks and a bench …I would use the fireplace wall for the tv and face the couch toward the tv…with a substantial chest or table behind the couch…thinking this may relieve reflection on tv from all the windows as well?… open floor plans can feel like you are in a gymnasium if you don’t add some features that define the spaces… sort of adding a “cozy” feel in spite of the “ grandeur”

• btydrvn
    last year

The angled couch relieves the “big square room” feel as well as makes interaction with other areas in the space a little more convenient…as well as a little more access to the views… and leaving a better path to the other end of the home

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

Select a sectional or a sofa with lounge chairs for your room.

Select a minimal wall-hung media unit for below the TV Don't place your sofa on an angle.

• amykath
    last year

I think a nice sectional would be perfect for your space. However, I am not sure your budget will alllow to buy a sectional.

Also, check out places like Marketplace for ideas for a cabinet to go under the tv. You can always find something if you think outside of the box. You could find something for a steal and then paint or restain it. The sky is the limit. Just make sure whatever you get is wider than your tv.

Some great ideas here!!

• HU-187528210
    last year

I agree.

I was going to suggest a new sofa for multiple reasons.

I think a sectional will work with the layout better.

Also, I think a lighter color will make it feel less crowded to you and less overwhelming

If a new sofa isn’t in the cards I think the idea of a console behind is a great one!!

Your house is beautiful so many nice things about it! I love the tray ceiling! And the overall style. Very current but still cozy …

Here’s some really quick inspiration. Hope this helps.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

could those washable rugs from ruggables work for you maybe?

If you dont want to afford a new sofa adding a second chair where the Christmas tree is would bring together the grouping. a sofa table would be great but it wont help with lamps as there are no floor outlets. but it will help "hide" the back of the sofa.

The tv is hung far too high so when you get a new console either rest it on that or hang it just above.

• RedRyder
    last year

I would start with a rug first. Then a console behind the couch. Then reassess.

No need to buy a new couch unless you want one, in which case that purchase is first. But adding more seating (and decor) to what you have is a good path. Stay on it.

• countrygirl2323
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks to everyone who has given suggestions. Life got in the way and I’m just now trying to actually move forward with some of them. I found a chair that might work and was looking for feedback. I’d get 2 and put one where the leather chair is now and one by the window. I have lots of choices of fabric, but I’ve included two swatches of ones I thought might work. The picture of the actual chair is in the lighter fabric swatch and is taupe but can take on more brown or gray depending on the lighting. The darker fabric swatch is definitly more gray. The picture of the swatches sitting on the ottoman are more true to color than the other picture.

I also found this media console and wondered what your thoughts were on it and how it might fit with the rest of the room? I’m not going for the farmhouse vibe and wasn’t sure if the whitewash look leans too much that way?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

You need a longer tv console than that. and you really need to lower the tv. That chair looks cozy

countrygirl2323 thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • chloebud
    last year

Agree TV needs lowering. Console should be about 25% wider than the TV. Nice chair…I like the lighter fabric, at least as it appears in your photo with the ottoman.

• btydrvn
    last year

In your situation i would get a rug first…to better define the living room space …and.. to define more clearly what size furniture will fit properly there..and to suggest fabric ideas for seating….the furniture color you have chosen is a little bland to me….the room could use some color and patterned or printed upholstery which will be less likely to show soil over time …as well….and also would add more personality to the room

• btydrvn
    last year

Don’t know if you would like surround sound for tv or music…but if so …a speaker at each end of the console would make the scale more acceptable …with the tv

• ffpalms
    last year

I like this layout posted by BeveryFLADeziner. I remember that you will not be getting a rug because of allergy issues, so btydrvn’s idea of more colorful chairs would help add some interest in the room. If you’d rather not commit to color or pattern in expensive furniture, maybe throw blankets would do the trick. If you go with the two chairs you posted, which could be placed facing the TV (as shown in the layout), I’d look for throws that have some dark brown to tie it into your existing leather furniture.

• ffpalms
    last year

The suggested accessories below still lack some zing. Bringing in black accents might be the contrast you need.

• countrygirl2323
    Original Author
    last year

@chloebud Thansk, that guidline of 25% wider for the console is helpful. That means I need something roughly 71” and this one is only 66”.

@btydrvn Good point about a pattern or printed fabric showing less wear. I’m open to the idea if i could find something that wasn’t too bold and versatile.

@ffpalms I agree, we need some color somewhere. I’m open to the idea of doing it in the chairs, but throws or pillows would be safer😉. I do have black accents other places in the house so I could definitely bring some in here too.

@lisedv I like that rug you pictured and an indoor/outdoor might be a good compromise.

• countrygirl2323
    Original Author
    last year

So I took my husband to look at that chair today and he hated it. It is a chair and a half size, and he said it was awkward and uncomfortable to sit it. We did find 2 other chairs we both liked and found comfortable but I’m not sure how they’d look with our couch. Ignore the fabrics currently on them as they have a huge selection to choose from. The first two pics are of the first chair (actual pic and stock photo) and is a swivel chair. The second two pics (actual and stock of the same chair) is stationary. We’d want ottomans with them too. Would either of these styles work with our current couch?

• RedRyder
    last year

The yellow chair looks like it’s a good size. It’s also a happy color. Were you thinking of using the fabric in the last photo?

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year

You mention you'd like to introduce black into the room, here are a few ideas with black & white. The indoor-outdoor area rug is from Pottery Barn.

• countrygirl2323
    Original Author
    last year

@RedRyder Thanks for the feedback. I don’t really know what fabric I’d choose and am open to suggestions. The yellow is kind of fun, but a bit too bold for me.

@lisedv Thanks for the suggestions. I’m open to other accent colors too, but I do like the mock up you did with black.

• hazwe
    last year

Besides the appearance of the fabric, you'll also want to consider it's "pillabilty" factor. I've been reading elsewhere on Houzz about issue with some upholstery fabric pilling much too quickly. Yesterday I saw a fabric choice that I loved until I noted that it was a cotton polyester combo. I immediately said nope. I've already figured out how that combo pills on my clothes.

• RedRyder
    last year

Yes, that yellow is way too bright! A softer creamier yellow would be pretty. I just thought the size/shape of that chair was good for your room.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

What is the size of the chair you are considering? Measure measure measure!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

What is the size of the tv and tv wall?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Will you be keeping the brown leather sofa?