Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oursteelers

High Country order

I love this nursery and am so happy to support them.

My rose ordering for the year is now complete, these are the new babies coming in March. Please add any experience you have with these plants and any orders you might have placed.

Alba Semi-Plena

Top Cream

Paul’s Lemon Pillar

Prairie Sunrise

Polka

Bayse’s Purple Rose

Honorine de Brabant

Comments (174)

• PRO
    Dirt Digger Z6NH
    last year

I can't believe how high jackson perkins prices have gotten 😳 that doesn't even include shipping and they cost more than David Austin's.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    last year

Kristine, if it’s an established rose I’d move it now while i had the oomph. If it’s a baby I’d give it a little time but I think you have a little bit better weather than me.

February is usually my coldest month

• User
    last year

DIRT DIGGER.... I don't know the area or how large it is, but do you think it would work to put some compost over the entire area to raise it up a bit? The compost would absorb the water and add good stuff to the soil. Depending on how deep you planted them, unless you add more than 3 inches, I don't think it would hurt the roses. I bury my canes at least 3-4 inches when I plant to protect them from the cold, so you can go by that.

The other thing is that water might be collecting because the ground is still frozen (if that is indeed the case). When the ground thaws, that should resolve. You could put something sharp into the soil to see if the ground is frozen.

Rebecca

• Diane Brakefield
    last year

Kristine, yes, as oursteelers says, move it now if it's established and dormant. Diane

• PRO
    Dirt Digger Z6NH
    last year

Unfortunately them are bands that I grew up in gallon pots, some others are larger. The water is being caused by run off so I am trying to redirect it. There are too many to move at this point, about twenty roses.

• PRO
    Dirt Digger Z6NH
    last year

It really is heart breaking, I'm hoping for the best since they are dormant and the water will hopefully drain by the time it warms

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    last year
    last modified: last year

Dirt, maybe this will encourage you. I found that the spot that I had planted Purple Prince in was a runoff and poor Purple Prince was sitting in water and he wasn't

dormant. He had been sitting like that for months and when I moved him he took right off inspite of being soaking wet. I bet that your roses will fine.

Thanks for the advice to move things around now

• User
    last year

Dirt Digger - I agree, diverting the water will help. There is a river in our state that floods almost every year. They use sandbags to protect people's homes. Taking plastic grocery bags and filling them with just about anything that has weight (dirt, gravel, sand) and tying them shut would do the trick. Just don't fill them so full that they break... You could double up the bags to give them more strength... Then you could place them around the area that needs protecting. It would not only help now but during Spring rains as well, until you can get the roses moved or permanent protection around the bed. Just an idea...

Rebecca

• PRO
    Dirt Digger Z6NH
    last year

I've also been mounding some dirt around those most affected to try and stear the water away.
    On a positive note however, I have 23 new roses coming for spring.
    Something to look forward to!

• PRO
    Dirt Digger Z6NH
    last year

This is still a fairly new property for me. This will only be my third spring and so far all of the roses I took with me in the move have survived and are doing well.
    It is a blank slate and the design process is still in the making. Live and learn.

• User
    last year

THAT says a lot for your Rose-ing skills!! You must be a youngster to be able to dig 23 holes! I'm gonna be doing good with 6. :) ENJOY!!!

Rebecca

• PRO
    Dirt Digger Z6NH
    last year

Lol I planted 60 the first year at this house and I'm sure there will be some reorganizing going on.
    But now I have 3 acres to play with. But also a cold climate and lots of trees, and apparently water.

• PRO
    Dirt Digger Z6NH
    last year

We do what we can and it may not be perfect, but the purpose is to enjoy it 😉 I'm sure your roses will be beautiful. I'm still learning myself.

• mmmm12COzone5
    last year

Dirt Digger, what are your new 23 roses?

• User
    last year

Dirt Digger, we lived on 5 acres for 5 years. During that time we hired people with big equipment to move our dirt to meet our needs. It made all the difference! Sixty roses in one year is beyond me! :) And I second it... bring on the 23 new rose names!!! :)

Rebecca

• PRO
    Dirt Digger Z6NH
    last year

This year I have coming
    Lena
    Rosarium uetersen
    Sally holmes
    Outta the Blue
    President shanley
    George oliva
    Hera's song
    Wilhem
    Guirlande d’amour
    Darlow's enigma
    City of york
    David austin -
    2 Scarborough fair
    3 Munstead wood
    2 Windermere
    2 queen of sweden
    The lark Ascending
    St swithun
    Princess anne
    Benjamin britan
    Gabriel oak
    Winchester cathedral
    Sceptred isle
    Hmmm I guess there's more than 23 😬

• PRO
    Dirt Digger Z6NH
    last year

I forgot morden sunrise and winchester cathedral oops 😬

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    last year

@Dirt Digger Z6NH If you remember, I'd love to hear an update on Hera's Song. Our climates are pretty different but I'd still like to know how it does for you, the HCR photo looks lovely

• PRO
    Dirt Digger Z6NH
    last year

I will definitely try to keep you posted, I believe I got the last one Matt had available but I guess you could try to call him.
    There was very little information to be found on Hera's song, but like you I thought she looks beautiful.

last year

I just want to know how it does :) goodness knows I barely have the space for what I already ordered, I lost my mind I guess. My resolve is pretty solid during the warm months but the off-season here is so long I can't seem to resist ordering after a while. Nothing but a brown, dead garden from October through the end of March make me a little crazy.

• User
    last year

Dirt Digger, I always wanted Rosarium Utersen, but she wasn't hearty enough. You will love St. Swithun, though. He's a mighty rose with huge blossoms that smell devine!!!!

I agree with you MMagpie. I'm gonna go back to starting my own tomatoes this winter just so I can touch dirt, even if it is fake dirt made from shredded coconut shells!!

Rebecca

• PRO
    Dirt Digger Z6NH
    last year

Hahaha I have the same problem hence the reason I have so many roses coming 😅 😆

• PRO
    Dirt Digger Z6NH
    last year

Rebecca (zone 4) Do you grow st swithun? How big does he get for you? I'm assuming he will only make a large shrub here but a climber would be even better.

• Katie Zone 6b/7a NC Mountains
    last year

Well I caved with the 20% coupon and placed an order for four more antique roses, one of the roses I had on my list was down to the last one in stock (Madame Pierre Oger) so that nudged me too. As of now I have 17 roses coming in the spring from several nurseries, as well as some hydrangeas, in addition to tending my vegetable garden, so I *think* I am done purchasing for the season unless a good late season sale gets me.

My latest order includes:

Alfred Colomb

Madame Pierre Oger

Blush Hip

Madame Ernest Calvat

last year

Oooh, I bet your Blush Hip will be beautiful. I've got 2 albas and they're so hardy and healthy for me here.

• mmmm12COzone5
    last year

Katie H, Nice selection! Looks like you are in a cold zone also. I hadn't seen some that you ordered so enjoyed looking them up. All very full petaled and very pretty.

• Katie Zone 6b/7a NC Mountains
    last year

Thank you, Yes I definitely have a favorite rose type!

I am technically in 7A just going by zip code, but some maps have me in 6B and we are higher elevation in the NC mountains so I err on the colder side.

last year

I bought another. Someone confiscate my debit card.

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    last year

😅😅😅

last year

I boboughtut another rose this week, too.

• User
    last year

Dirt Digger - I don't grow St. Swithun anymore, but not for lack of performance. I bought him Big from DAR, and probably grafted. The trellis/fence I had him on lost a post and I took it down, and him with it. (I tend to redecorate my yard/roses like some people rearrange their living rooms). But... St. Swithun went to the top of my 5 foot fence, and across about 2 feet. He put out great laterals in the coldest part of my zone 4 yard and they were hardy almost to the tip. His blossoms were huge and smelled wonderful. The only problem I had with him was his thorns. They were fine walking by him, it was just when I got close up to smell his wonderful blossoms that he tended to bite me. I had him next to Teasing Georgia, which was equally wonderful but not as hardy. She lost most of her cane in the winter but came back to bloom and grow every year. Plant them at least 3 inches below the dirt line. Go get 'em, Dirt!

Rebecca

last year

@librarian_gardner_8b_pnw What did you end up getting? I feel ridiculous for buying another lol, that's 8 this year! But after agonizing over my garden plans for what felt like forever, I had finally removed a few and figured out where everything is going to go, and I knew I had the room for this one more rose. But NOW I'm done (lol).

• User
    last year

Magpie, listening to you is like looking in a mirror!!! I got 6 this year and have to rip out roses in order to make room. But it's what I do. I'm very fickle and tire of them, so I rip them out and try new ones.

Rebecca

last year

Well in December I placed a Palatine order for 8 roses and said it was my last.

Augusta Louise

Easy Fashion

Black Caviar

Bliss
    Roberto Alagna

Dmitri

The Pride
    The Divine Miss M

ThenThen my nursery had The Poet's Wife potted on clearance for $13 and I couldn't pass it up.

DoDoDoDoDoDoDoDo soasoa dooooap dooooap the gremlins want me to sing

So now I'm w done...?

How about you, what did you buy, Magpie?

last year

I also put together a dream list of 12 roses from High Country that I would buy if I had all the space in the world. I love HCR and bought so many from them in the last couple years.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    last year

I also was done but then I got a fifty dollar credit card as a thank you from Honda for doing a recall so I ordered Snowbird and Madame Jules Bouche from Burlington. Now I am for sure done!!!!!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    last year

Ha ha, I smell pants on fire

I said that I was done and now I am on a waitlist lol. It's possible that I will never actually be done.

Anyone want to tell what rose pushed you to say one more ?

last year

Glad it's not just me lol. Btw I love your song Librarian, very catchy. I bought another HCR rose called "JoAn's Pink Perpetual". Hardly any photos or info anywhere, but someone wrote a description on HMF that sounded lovely so I decided to try it out.

• PRO
    Dirt Digger Z6NH
    last year

Rebecca- thank you for the imput, I also planted teasing georgia at the end of the season last year so looking forward to see how it pulls through winter. I'm not sure if I have to plant them deep because these are own root not grafted so they should be alright.

last year

Snowbird looks like a perfect rose, Oursteelers. If I had space for. a big one like that Id get it. Gorgeous!

Magpie, JoAn's Pink looks absolutely beautiful and fragrant. too and it's a. found rose from CO so likely to be perfect in your area!

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    last year

Snowbird has intrigued me for some time as well and I’m hoping to have one of my own shortly. When I was visiting Burling two weeks ago, she asked me if I’d ever heard of Snowbird. I said I had and it was on my wishlist. She promptly pulled out her pruner and took some cuttings. They are in my propagation bin along with several other roses. Hopefully at least one roots well!

• User
    last year

Dirt Digger - For what it's worth, I still plant own roots 3 inches down. But I live in the -20 F with -40 F wind chill country. :) Over the years, I have planted and ripped out tons of roses because I tire of them. I have only lost 1 because of the weather and that was a freak thaw that lasted a long time and then got cold again. THE ONLY ROSE THAT I HAVE KEPT IS CRESSIDA! She is a stunner!!

Rebecca

• susan9santabarbara
    last year

Snowbird was one of my favorite roses. I had two of them, and gave one away in my big rose cull of 2006-07, but a number of years later, the second one died. I just never got around to getting it again, but I should.

last year

I hope you can have another, Susan. It looks an incredible rose

• Flowerescent NJ Zone 6
    last year

@mmmm12COzone5 Wow that Parade Day looks so good. I just LOVE that color. I wish I could edit my post so I could remove "climber" because I don't think it comes as a climber.. I must be high on rose shopping because it's the second mistake I've made recently. Goodness gracious.

How nice to walk through all the roses High Country Gardens grows. I'm glad to read more good things about them. I even called them to add a few more!

I added these:

Bolero

Winnipeg Parks

Darlows Enigma

Midnight Blue

Marie Pavié

When the roses arrive in spring I'm going to pot most of them up a bit. I may squeeze a few into the vegetable garden as well.

• mmmm12COzone5
    last year

FWF,

Sounds like you are getting some good roses. Winnipeg Parks is a favorite of mine. It is my first bloomer. Here it is May 28th 2022 (planted as a band from HCR 7/19). You can see the rest of the rose bed is still green. Winnipeg Parks has no die back for me and a pleasing round shape (naturally as I do not trim or shape it).

Here it is May 31st.

My photos show that I have a few other roses with a couple of blooms or a smattering of blooms at that point in the year but nothing like the massive early display from Winnipeg Parks.

• Flowerescent NJ Zone 6
    last year

You're the reason I added Winnipeg Parks to my order. ;)

• PRO
    Dirt Digger Z6NH
    last year

I need to stay off line, I just added Maidens Blush and Stanwell perpetual for spring.
    FWF-I absolutely love the saturated color of Winnipeg parks! I removed one last year that just wasn't doing well but it was one of those body bag roses purchased at Walmart. I'm definitely going to try it again.

last year

@Dirt Digger Z6NH Lol you fit right in! I added Great Maiden's Blush last year, so this spring with any luck it'll bloom for me. I'm really looking forward to those powderpuff pink blooms. I know even being a zone warmer than me your winters are probably brutal where you are, but so far GMB has not even a single hint of dieback for me this winter, and we had about 48 hours of temps no higher than 0 (and down to -18) in December. So I bet it will be very hardy for you too.