Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

We Have a New Fur Kid!!!

LynnNM
last year
last modified: last year

At the moment, this still unnamed, about one y/o Doberman kid (no cropped ears or tail) is our foster. BTW, that's DD with him in the first pic. We got a call the other day asking us specifically if we could foster him. He was a stray, picked up back in early October someplace here in New Mexico, with a broken back leg on one side and a broken hip on the other. Poor baby! Anyhoo, he's now two months post-op and they needed a family that was very knowledgeable and experienced in medicine and taking care of injuries. Well, that's us, as DH is a retired family practice doc and I'm a retired ER x-ray technologist, also experienced in scrubbing in plastic surgery. Anyhoo, we picked him up on NYE afternoon and he's been getting lots of love, comfort, hugs, good healthful food (he's still quite underweight, but not for long!), new stuffies and chew toys, 2 comfy beds, a new collar, harness and Winter jacket while he recuperates and learns what a happy, safe life is all about.

As you might recall, we lost our last Dobie, Knight, to cancer at 11 y/o just after this past Thanksgiving. So, we already had lots of what this boy needs, including lots of love.

This new boy is ours to adopt, which we will after his fostering time is up. He's a big, (very) clumsy, enthusiastic, happy, loving one year old who is NOT yet house-broken and is still in that "chew anything" phase, but we love him already!

Please keep us both in your prayers. Him for a good recovery, and me because it's been soooooo long since we've had a puppy in the house! Now, though, it's time to come up with the perfect name for him! Something Western, I'm thinking. Any suggestions?

Comments (74)

• arkansas girl
    last year

Maybe his name should be Lucky?

LynnNM thanked arkansas girl
  • 3katz4me
    last year

What a lucky guy to have a home with you. If I can adapt to a kitten after 40 years since my last one you’ll do great with your youngster.

LynnNM thanked 3katz4me
  • Irish2
    last year

Best news I’ve read today! He’s a cutie fod sure. ( Rip or Kaycee )

LynnNM thanked Irish2
  • marmiegard_z7b
    last year

I like 2- syllable names with a good vowel, I think it’s good to have names that are easy to say ( but still seem to fit the pup) so Lucky, Ranger, Rocky, Rusty come to mind.
    He might look
    like a Farley- something about the ears.
    Maybe some more of his personality traits or doggie expressions will start to emerge.

LynnNM thanked marmiegard_z7b
  • Fun2BHere
    last year

Congratulations!

LynnNM thanked Fun2BHere
  • Bestyears
    last year

Finnegan Begin Again!

LynnNM thanked Bestyears
  • jab65
    last year

Of course he's already stolen your hearts! I'm thinking abut Hop-a-long Cassidy with his broken leg. Hoppy or Hop for short. Quirky, I know.

LynnNM thanked jab65
  • OllieJane
    last year

OMG! He's gorgeous! Lucky him! Love you are naming him a Western name- Flint, Beau, Gus, Ash or Blue!

LynnNM thanked OllieJane
  • OllieJane
    last year

Judge, Kidd, Marshall, Doc (lol), Frisco...

I really liked the names you picked out...Mavrick and Scout

LynnNM thanked OllieJane
  • eld6161
    last year

I think Jinx is on to something. How about Noble? I actually had a doctor with this as a first name.

He couldn’t be in a better home than yours. Looking forward to all your updates.

LynnNM thanked eld6161
  • dedtired
    last year

As you know, our family always had Dobermans. We had three ( one after the other), then my dad and his dumb second wife had two, and now my brother has one. Such terrific dogs. Five of them were named Rip! So I vote for the name Rip for your new baby.

LynnNM thanked dedtired
  • jojoco
    last year

We have a Scout (named from the character in "To Kill A Mockingbird".) She is Scouty or "you lazy lump" 99% of the time.

I grew up with a Dobe who was named (not by me) "Spot" She equally responded to "Miss Spotzina" . She was a smartie.

LynnNM thanked jojoco
  • Sueb20
    last year

My first thought was Wyatt. I don’t know why.

Clay?

Henry?

He kinda looks like he could be a Henry.

LynnNM thanked Sueb20
  • eld6161
    last year

My nephew’s rescue Coon mix is a Henry

LynnNM thanked eld6161
  • Arapaho-Rd
    last year

He looks so sweet with your daughter and he did hit the jackpot coming to your care so how about JACK ???

LynnNM thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • blfenton
    last year

Bonanza - It's a bonanza that the two of you found each other. He looks like such a cutie.

LynnNM thanked blfenton
  • gsciencechick
    last year

Oh wow, congratulations! I was thinking of you since I saw a neighbor walking a beautiful Doberman just the other day.

LynnNM thanked gsciencechick
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    last year

I love him and would name him Tex. congrats!

LynnNM thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • ratherbesewing
    last year

John Wayne of course! Enjoy, he’s cute and a rescue will love you forever ❤️

LynnNM thanked ratherbesewing
  • salonva
    last year

Oh I am so glad I looked at this thread today. I was about to say oh I hope they "foster faii" and then I read that is the plan all along. He sure is a good looking boy and it certainly sounds like you were all meant to be together.

I have no ideas for a name but I kind of agree that 2 syllables seem to make sense. I was going to say we had all 2 syllable names for our dogs but I then remember we had a Jane and she did fine with her name.

LynnNM thanked salonva
  • localeater
    last year

Congratulations Lynn. He’s beautiful. I saw him and immediately thought of Arthur, for King Arthur, dont know why.

LynnNM thanked localeater
  • amykath
    last year

Lynn, he is a doll! So beautiful. Your family is wonderful to take him in. Then again, just look at him! How could anyone not love that face!

Keep us posted and let us know when you have named him. No one knows his personality like you, but from looking at his face I love Arthur or any human name. I once knew a Floyd. I always love that one!

Congrats!

LynnNM thanked amykath
  • deegw
    last year

So happy for you! My neighbors unexpectedly lost their beloved dog and named their "new" fur baby Nova.

LynnNM thanked deegw
  • lakeaffect_gw
    last year

Laird, for laird of the manor, which I know he will be. Enjoy him, and love that you chose to adopt, not shop!

LynnNM thanked lakeaffect_gw
  • bpath
    last year

He’s so handsome! I’ve never seen an uncropped Doberman before, his head looks rather like a dachsund, doesn’t it, with those ears.

You’ll have to see what his personality is, to discover his name. That will be fun!

LynnNM thanked bpath
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

So wonderful!

Since he broke his hip, that makes him a real hipster. According to the internet, the #1 name for a hipster is Sonny, so I vote for Sonny.

LynnNM thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Eileen
    last year

I suggest you use a Native American name for its uniqueness, meaningfulness, and acknowledgement of the people whose land we live on, especially in the Southwest.

https://petmag.com/native-american-dog-names/

LynnNM thanked Eileen
  • pricklypearcactus
    last year

Congratulations on your new addition! I am still so sorry for your loss of Knight. I hope your new pup begins to aclimate (and potty train) soon. You are so wonderful for adopting him. The first NM related name that comes to my mind is Mesquite.

LynnNM thanked pricklypearcactus
  • Bunny
    last year

It's interesting how we all approach naming our pets. Other than a gray and white tuxedo cat we named Penguin, all our/my animals are given names we like without a whole lot of thought behind them.

LynnNM thanked Bunny
  • Sherry8aNorthAL
    last year

Trooper.

LynnNM thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • Sherry8aNorthAL
    last year

Cochise.

• legomom23
    last year

What a wonderful story! He's beautiful.

LynnNM thanked legomom23
  • porkandham
    last year

He’s adorable!

LynnNM thanked porkandham
  • yeonassky
    last year

Oh my what a gorgeous guy! I love the suggesting a name game.

I like James for him. Shrug. I know it's a human name.

LynnNM thanked yeonassky
  • ajuju
    last year

Congratulations! He's beautiful, and how lucky you all are to have found each other!

Names...Wyatt? Cody? Sundance (Sonny)? Our friends had a Ridgeback named Chile...could be appropriate for NM!

LynnNM thanked ajuju
  • Bunny
    last year

yeonassky, I love human names for pets.

LynnNM thanked Bunny
  • Feathers11
    last year

Thanks for sharing this, and best wishes for his continued improving health. What a sweet boy!

LynnNM thanked Feathers11
  • Sherry8aNorthAL
    last year

He actually looks like a Frank to me.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    last year

He's beautiful. I wonder about a name from something Mexican or Indian related that could come from your kitchen with the way you deal so nicely with foods. Something like Churro...you did say he is sweet!

LynnNM thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • woodrose
    last year

I was going to suggest Shiloh, but that isn't a western name. How about "Newman" for Paul Newman, who was in a few western movies (and he is the "new man" in your life!).

LynnNM thanked woodrose
  • Funkyart
    last year

How wonderful for all of you! His luck (and life) has sure taken a turn for the better!

I actually like one syllable names ... Beau (short for Beauregard), Boone, Quinn ...

LynnNM thanked Funkyart
  • Allison0704
    last year

Congrats! He is one lucky dog. We are going to need more photos.

LynnNM thanked Allison0704
  • teeda
    last year

What a handsome boy! He looks very sweet as well. Congratulations to you all!

LynnNM thanked teeda
  • DLM2000-GW
    last year

@LynnNM - sent you a DM - sometimes I get notifications but not always so tagging you here in case.

LynnNM thanked DLM2000-GW
  • LynnNM
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you so much, DLM!

• jill302
    last year

Congratulations, he is a lovely guy. Wishing you many years of happiness together.

LynnNM thanked jill302
  • texanjana
    last year

Congratulations! He is beautiful.

LynnNM thanked texanjana
  • lascatx
    last year

Lynn, I saw your post while reading and trying to type the other day -- when Lulu was on top of my hand and laptop. I just read through this thread again and realized I never posted. First a congrats and a thank you for being there for his special needs. As Sprinroz said -- I thank the Universe for bringing the right dogs and people together. We have some very happy families and it's a great way to start a new year.

I didn't have any names to offer -- I like Maverick, Scout, Knight and Bishop, but a name has to fit the dog. Have you picked one yet? Lulu picker hers. I started with Lucy, Luna, Maya, Missy, Sandy, Molly and some others. I said Lulu just thinking out loud with L names when she didn't respond to Lucy or Luna. She picked Lulu. Not a favorite of ours necessarily, but it will become a loved name because it is hers. Lulu it is.

LynnNM thanked lascatx
  • Bunny
    last year

Lynn, have you chosen a name for your pup yet?

LynnNM thanked Bunny
  • lizbeth-gardener
    last year

Congratulations! He is a beauty and couldn't have found a better home. Enjoy!

LynnNM thanked lizbeth-gardener
Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES