Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_50502566527603136

Paint color on my kitchen & family room walls

betty
last year
last modified: last year

I have a open floor plan house. I need help with which white paint color I should paint my walls. My kitchen cabinets are maple, countertop is Baltic Brown(Black with Rust/brown specks), & my Backsplash is Tannish Travertine with Black accents.

I originally wanted to paint Agreeable grey on walls & purewhite trim.I have a lot of windows & southern exposure -which I didn’t like how it looks( it looked beige). I decided to paint white only because I want it to look more modern/contemporary without replacing cabinets ,countertop,&backsplash.

please help

thank you

Comments (10)

• eld6161
    last year

I agree with Susan. The backsplash it not only the color doesn't coordinate with maple cabinetry.

betty thanked eld6161
  • PRO
    lisedv
    last year

I once had similar colour cabinets in an open concept with travertine floors and large windows on 3 sides so it was very bright. I had painted BM Natural Cream but my floors were more like shown below, not as yellow as yours look in the photo.

betty thanked lisedv
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

Maybe a warm ivory shade? If the photo color is accurate - which would be a first, IMO, the backsplash and floor tiles seem to clash with each other right now. I'd want to pick up the warm tones in the tile in order to try and tie things together more.

• betty
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you

• betty
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

I was thinking maybe painting my cabinets and backsplash a white color ??

Or just painting over the backsplash and change the hardware?

I ’m not replacing any granite, or backsplash -it’ll cost too much. As for the floor tiles -they are through out my whole house-which I’m not changing too. Please help ! Thank you in advance for your advice.

• Susan
    last year
  • betty
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you

• herbflavor
    last year

if the budget is that tight its not wise to paint the cabinets. they are the nicest thing in the space. I think the floor could stay and use runners in black/brown pattern....the floor color isnt great but runners shift the focus quite a bit and getting rid of the backsplash will help. I would then get a simple fresh white subway tile backsplash ......if you really cant afford a backsplash just remove the existing backsplash and paint the wall there. You could see a nice change w not much spent .

• betty
    Original Author
    last year

After debating on whether or not if I should paint my walls and kitchen cabinets white. I decided to continue the same color that I have in the master bedroom and bathroom-sw agreeable gray on walls with pure white on crown moldings & baseboards; and add a accent wall in the family room/living room sw Tricorn Black and change the kitchen cabinets hardware.

Thank you everyone for your advice.