Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammi_cotter

Please help me style this wall

TeeCee84
last year

We had our floors redone before Christmas with hardwood. As a result, I am trying to put my house back together in a less cluttered and updated way. We have a lot of good furniture that
we’ve had for years that we don’t want to part with…but making it look stylish is a challenge.

This chest and mirror are in our formal living room on a wall opposite the sitting area. We centered the chest and mirror on the wall, but I want to add something in the corner. I’m thinking a floor lamp or large plant…but I’m sure there are better ideas.

Comments (26)

• jck910
    last year

Beautiful floors. I would not add anything else to that area. Put the blue vase on the chest. The glass piece does't really show up.I think a rug in the sitting area would help.

• kandrewspa
    last year

Yes, the floors turned out really well. I think the mirror is falling flat here. I would replace it with art and also put a piece on the perpendicular wall. The chest is beautiful. If you do need some light in this area, put a lamp on the chest.

Contemporary Bedroom · More Info

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

You could fill out the wall with benches, or extra dining chairs or leave the space blank.

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    last year

I don’t like the mirror placement either. When paired with the chest it looks bedroom-y.

• TeeCee84
    Original Author
    last year

Very much appreciating the feedback so far. I’ve added a lamp, bowl & a dining chair in the corner. I have a matching dining chair that I can put on the other side. I am in the process of reupholstering the seats. I’m
    Hearing what you are all saying about the mirror. Although they were originally purchased to pair together…I can take down the mirror if I find a suitable piece of art.

• Kelly Jones
    last year

Great job on the floors and I see why you want to keep that chest, it's gorgeous!

You might consider scooching over the vase and putting tall willow twigs or branches of some sort in it.

Also, consider finding a tall narrow piece of art you like or 2 complimentary pieces.

You may try adding some pretty collected rocks or shells (limpet as shown?), marble eggs, or even candy for the glass bowl.

Please share what you decide!

• Kendrah
    last year

We had a mirror and dresser in the entry to our living room and absolutely loved it. I think you have a good thing going here and just need more hanging on the wall around it. I would consider moving the dresser and the mirror to the right and then on the left having two good sized pieces of art hung vertically. The art plus dresser and mirror can be considered all together as a unit to be centered on the wall.

• chispa
    last year

The chest and mirror don't have to be centered on that wall, specially if you add a chair or tall plant in the corner.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

If you place one chair in the corner then you need to slide the vignette to the right

• elcieg
    last year
    last modified: last year

I suggest not using the mirror. It lovely, but not quite right paired with the small chest.

Thoughts: move chest to the right; hang art over and on the corner wall. Add chair as in @BeverlyFLADeziner's inspiration photo.

Try the mirror in the hallway.

• TeeCee84
    Original Author
    last year

Without moving the mirror yet, I slid the chest down to the right a placed a beautiful chair that I plan to reupholster in the corner. I definitely would add art beside the mirror or on the adjacent wall. I do think online the chest better not centered!

• TeeCee84
    Original Author
    last year

*I do think I like

• Rebecca Hicks
    last year

I love your chinoiserie mirror, it's perfect over your chest. That looks like a Henredon piece. Perhaps from the 1980"s?

• TeeCee84
    Original Author
    last year

Rebecca, yes! Henredon…we got it in 1988.

• chispa
    last year

You can't get the same quality these days. I have a few nice mirrors that my parents gave me and I have no more room to hang them!

I rarely place things perfectly centered on a wall as sometimes there are reasons to shift it one way or another.

• Rebecca Hicks
    last year

I commented earlier about your Henredon chest. Are you from the Houston area? I worked at a very fine furniture store that carried those very pieces.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year
    last modified: last year

balance out the otherside w/something like this.

Or try this example. (but it's an entryway, hence the coat hanger)

Or try Beverly's first suggestion.

here are some ways to style those chests (but I think it would look better against a smaller wall. like these

do you have any other pieces that are longer? I think a longer one w/that mirror and some other elements would look better

this is Target console. I also really like the board and batten behind it.

slightly longer than yours

I think something like this would look better than what you have. (move the current one elsewhere)

This lightens up that corner, brings in a little color too. if you have any nice art, I'd use that instead of that smaller mirror.

TeeCee84 thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

I think it looks beautiful just needs a bigger lamp!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Maybe a cute pillow on the chair too!

• TeeCee84
    Original Author
    last year

Rebecca -- I am in PA. We bought our furniture at a high end store in Jamestown, NY. :-)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

It really is a beautiful chest and I love the mirror. With such a classic look I would stay away from trendy accessories…Any budget buy a beautiful large new lamp…pillow for chair.

• TeeCee84
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks again for all of your input. I’ve incorporated a few of your suggestions.

1. I’m keeping the mirror & chest but moved them right.
    2. I put a King Louis style chair in that corner and am looking for the perfect fabric to redo it.
    3. I took the lamp off of the chest because the chest didn’t seem wide enough.
    4. I am now looking for a pretty statement floor lamp to put either between the lamp & chair or behind the chair on the corner.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Hmm I would not do a floor lamp?? You need a gorgeous statement lamp on the gorgeous chest…it is plenty wide…what is the width and depth if the chest?

• TeeCee84
    Original Author
    last year

Home Interiors…33” wide & 15” deep

• Lyn Nielson
    last year

put the chest and mirror on the narrow wall and open up the seating area.

Use the whole room.

Looks like you are making that a traffic route.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Sheriff…that chest size is perfect for a big statement lamp you just have to be sure the lamp shade (if bell or barrel shape) it can’t be wider than 15” deep…a oval or rectangle shaped shade would work perfectly…can the chest be moved over to the right a bit?