Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_248595747

HELLO! 45" FIRE CLAY WORKSTATION SINK????

B Lott
last year
last modified: last year

I know this sounds EXTRA - but I need guidance to make a decision- so I’m hoping someone can help. :) I was initially interested in the 45" Ruvati stainless, single bowl, two tier, under mounted, apron work station sink... (photo below) and I do still like it, but I grew up with a large cast iron sink and I guess I like the beauty and nostalgia of a pretty white sink? So I'm considering a Fireclay sink with these features. Also, I've noticed a common complaint about stainless workstations is water stains and it not looking "clean". I'm unsure if it's primarily a Ruvati issue, or just a reality with stainless steel sinks... (which isn't a deal breaker for me as I feel I can just dry it after cleaning the sink... but I'm curious if the water spots are as big a deal as I've read.) My dilemma? I can’t find the same features/ size in a fireclay workstation sink as I have found in the Ruvati 45” sink.

Here’s my ideal scenario:

*** 45” Single Bowl, FireClay, Undermount Apron, 2 Tier Work Station Sink (Right Side Drain location vs middle drain if possible) *** (whew! that's a mouthful! :)

• 1) SINGLE BOWL
  • 2) FIRE CLAY (or possibly a similar material), but I was thinking I’d avoid Cast Iron due to chipping/ the cast iron showing through when chipped, and I’m unsure if a composite or granite sink would work with quartz counters? And I believe the only white granite single bowl workstation sinks I found were max 33"? I believe porcelain/ ceramic sinks are less durable than both fireclay and cast iron… so I didn’t consider it.) I have read numerous articles about fireclay vs cast iron and I’ve narrowed it to Fire Clay as my first option with stainless steel as my second…but I am a total novice on this subject, so any feedback about the sink material is appreciated.
  • 3) 42”- 45” LENGTH - I’ve found that with the 45” Ruvati 2 tier workstation sink, 45” isn’t the actual usable space, as it actually has 43 ⅜” of sink available… and of the 20 ⅛” width it actually reduces to 14 ⅝” width at the bottom (due to the 2 tier system). It would be fantastic if I found a single bowl with a wider bottom, but it’s not a deal breaker. At present I have a 36” length sink (34” usable sink area), and so I’d really prefer a larger size for hosting in our home and for our large family gatherings. I'm only seeing the Single Bowl Fire Clay workstation sinks go up to 36" - and I wondered if that was a max size for all Fire Clay workstations? I know they are much heavier than stainless steel sinks so I wondered if that's why the industry doesn't have a 39" or 42" or 45" etc in a single bowl workstation style?
  • 4) A WORKSTATION sink. The included accessories don’t have to be as numerous as with a Ruvati workstation sink, but the accessories are helpful since they are already sized for that sink - it would help me not have to go searching for accessories that would fit a sink with less accessories available.
  • 5) TWO SHELF options as featured in the Ruvati workstation sink. I like that you can slide accessories under each other, and if you want to place butcher blocks across the sink for a smooth platform, it will hide the items underneath if needed.
  • 6) An UNDERMOUNT APRON sink is ideal for me - as it’s good for water protection and cabinets, and I really like how THIN the edge is so you don't have to LEAN IN to reach the bowl and wash dishes. (It seems all sinks that are not apron style have 4" or so of counter between you and the edge of the sink when undermounted). If I could get a non-apron sink with less of a counter separation between me and the sink bowl - I’d definitely consider it - but I don’t know of any sink, other than an apron or farmhouse version, that offers this solution. ***I also know Ruvati, for example, has a stainless steel apron front version out there, which I like, but the EDGE is not as thin as the FireClay apron sinks AND the Ruvati Fireclay apron workstation sinks don't come in 45" lengths. Sigh.

For reference, I've attached some photos: 45" ruvati undermount apron stainless steel workstation, 45" ruvati undermount stainless steel workstation, 36" Bocchi fireclay undermount apron workstation, 36" Elkay fireclay undermount apron workstation, and 33" Ruvati granite undermount workstation (I only found 33" single bowl granite workstations)...

It MIGHT be that the 45” Ruvati, single bowl, 2 tier Workstation, Undermounted Apron, Stainless Steel sink with right side drain location (photo below) is my best option... BUT I thought I’d ask if these sink features I've mentioned come in a larger FireClay version elsewhere, OR if there’s a better stainless steel version like this that someone prefers… before I made my purchase. I do appreciate any guidance as I make my decision. Thank you in advance!

Fireclay Apron Workstation Sink (max 36")
Stainless Steel Apron Workstation Sink (max 57")
Granite Apron Workstation Sink (max 33")

Comments (11)

• kiniyagirl
    last year

I am not able to comment as to a Fireclay workstation sink. However I do want to comment to getting an under mount workstation sink with a thinner front rail. I had a Kraus workstation sink under mounted with the HUSH system. This allowed me to have a front rail about 2 1/4" vs 4" as I did not need to leave space for the traditional clips. I was able to put the front edge of the sink right against the inside of the cabinet rail at tight as it would go. Initially the counter top fabricator was not on board, but based on the advice of this forum I stuck to my guns and it came out perfectly. So a long way to say that you can definitely get a thinner front rail with an under mount sink

B Lott thanked kiniyagirl
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last year

Think about apron sink. It seems they already out.

https://www.interiorfun.com/is-farmhouse-sink-going-out-of-style/

I have Kraus workstation sink under mounted.

B Lott thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • JP L
    last year

I too am on a quest for a super wide single-bowl kitchen sink! I have many of the same items on my wish list as you do!

I think in general, the weight of a fireclay sink limits the overall size/width that's offered in most models (you'd need extra support underneath to hold a fireclay sink of this size sufficiently). Doesn't mean there isn't a solution, just that I haven't encountered an abundance of extra wide sinks made from this material. That said, I've seen more interest in these types of sinks on these forums and elsewhere, so I think some vendor is bound to eventually respond and offer them.

One tip - if you are looking for something with extra width, you're kind of really looking for a utility sink vs. a traditional kitchen sink. I've had way more luck by widening my search in this regard.

You can get an extra wide fireclay sink if you go wall-mounted/trough models, although most come pre-drilled for two faucets and are designed for mudrooms or bathrooms (they may not have the depth you're looking for). You'd also have to have a custom cabinet made if you want something underneath the sink.

Personally, I'm leaning toward enamel coated cast iron. For me, it's a more truly traditional material - I currently inherited an enamel coated cast iron sink in my current pre-reno home, and despite lots of abuse (the previous owners rented our property for a time before we purchased it - and it definitely shows in many areas of the house), the sink is pretty pristine.

One suggestion - I'm considering a vintage style drainboard (although without so much drainboard) sink in my laundry room, and came across several newer models (the Kohler Farmstead almost made me consider a top-mounted sink!). They remind me of the sink my grandmother had (I grew up on a farm, so although I hate modern farmhouse, I still get nostalgic with certain true farmhouse elements like this!). Many of the reasons I'm drawn to them (large bowl size, minimal countertop/space between you and the bowl, solid materials - enamel coated cast iron) sound similar to what you're looking for.

Example of a vintage model that might meet your specs (although upon closer inspection, this looks like a double bowl) - I know I've seen super wide utility sinks that might fit the bill, though - if I had more time, I'd search more!

Just a thought/option.

B Lott thanked JP L
  • B Lott
    Original Author
    last year

Goodness! Thank you so much for all of your responses! I truly appreciate it. @kiniyagirl - I love the feedback on how I might mount a non fireclay sink closer to the edge - sounds clever. I'II DEFINITELY look into it while I'm making my decision! @Celery. Visualization, Rendering images thanks for the link! It's helpful to see what trends are out and why - and I can see why designers are reconsidering referral of the fireclay farmhouse sink. It seems that article focuses on porcelin farmhouse sinks, however I still see the reasoning behind trending towards other materials like granite, concrete and even back to stainless. Fireclay isn't perfect (dunno what is, actually lol) but I can see the challenge for some to avoid the large farmhouse sink due to counter space. I obsessed for a bit over the length for that exact reason, but I'm extending my counters quite a bit in my remodel so decided to go for it. I would sure love the ease and cleanliness of a larger sink after family gatherings, so I'd have "clean" counters after lunch/ dinner to go sit and visit with family and then I could do dishes after evervone leaves. I like the workstation serving options as well, especially during the holidays and hosting - although what I clearly haven't nailed down is the true need for ALL the accessories for the workstation sinks... they seem so clever, I just wonder about the gimmick effect and if I'm being a sucker? lol In any case @JP L I too have a real fondness for the nostalgia of that cast iron sink! That Kohler Farmhouse is truly fabulous! I WISH I could have it but the key spot for my sink is on a flat peninsula section so I can't have it there with it's raised back lip, but it is truly PERFECT. Large, deep and a few workstation accessories - that's crazy! I'm not a fan of the modern farmhouse decor either, but this sink has a contemporary vibe that IS pretty sweet!! Husband would likely kill me if I changed the flooplan to fit that sink. haha Anyway, now I have a bit more energy to keep looking, and so I really appreciate the input from y'all!! It's a SINK, how hard can this be? :) (very hard, clearly, for me.)

• la_la Girl
    last year

I'd vote for a no apron option but that's just personal preference - I have an undermounted 48" SS sink, it was installed 12 years ago and I def appreciate how "design neutral" it is

B Lott thanked la_la Girl
  • B Lott
    Original Author
    last year

Oh my gosh @JP L! I just saw the vintage sink website! It's FABULOUS! I didn't KNOW I needed a Cast Iron Wall Mounted TROUGH SINK till I saw it - but I DO! (Well, at least I think my husband does! in his BARN!) How fun yet durable would that be? We have Great Danes, and that would be a PERFECT watering hole for them while my husband and the dogs are all up there "working"... our giant puppies can go through lots of water running around the property. lol It would be easy to clean and could be a cool addition to the barn area mounted at their height! Although the hubby really COULD use it, so he might just give the dogs 5 gallon buckets of water like usual and enjoy a large trough for cleaning stuff that NEEDS to stay in the barn! :) Anyway, we are seriously hooking water back up to the barn THIS week and we were just discussing what sink to get! I think this site is perfect! Thanks tons :)

• B Lott
    Original Author
    last year

@la_la Girl thanks for your feedback! I had a stainless in a former home and it really was difficult to damage it - so it might be that I need to go that route for the size I'm seeking. Thanks for the reminder that it really is design neutral! I actually found a site www.creategoodsinks.com today that had some nice stainless workstation sinks! I especially appreciated the seamless drain design and the slight curve they also designed into the corners, giving it a sleek, rectangle, more today looking sink, but these corners are easier to clean than the hard corners on workstations that I've seen (where some have said can be a challenge to clean). Plus, it seems this feature still allows you to use the whole bowl bottom - since it's flat - (vs stamped sink curvature) it's just the corners that are slightly curved to make it easier to clean and keep sanitary... thought I'd plug that site on here in case someone goes down the "sink rabbit hole" like me. :)

• B Lott
    Original Author
    last year

@Raimondi thanks for your comment too! I did dive a bit deep into the fireclay chip and craze research today... I didn't even know "craze" was a word. lol Those fine cracks sure seem to be a prominent issue though... I'm curious, last year I could've sworn I read somewhere that there's a difference between fire clay and fireclay? Is this a thing? I seem to recall in an article that in the US some companies began using the term too freely - that there's a difference in how they are prepared (possibly a temperature isn't reached?) and thus not all fireclay or fire clay (I'm not even sure which is correct or if they're different) not all fireclay sinks will have the durability a true fireclay sink should have. I could've dreamed that up - but I can't find the original article I read to confirm. Has anyone heard of this issue?

• B Lott
    Original Author
    last year

How FUN! @JP L Thanks!!! It is literally the length and what I'm looking for - but I'm afraid the depth is a bit too short at 5" inside depth. I assume it was meant for a bathroom or laundry room? I DO think maybe it would be cool in a laundry room!!!

• itwillcostyou
    7 months ago

kiniyagirl .... great info... can you share a pic of your undermount sink so we can see how close to the front edge you were able to install?  I'm a visual girl.