Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leni_2

Please help me choose 2 Pendants for 8 1/2 foot island

leni_2
last year

Please help me decide!

For our open open floor plan townhouse, we will have an 8 1/2 foot island that's 40 inches wide. Ceilings are 8 feet. My entire kitchen area is only about 160 inches by 193 inches.

I prefer two pendants (especially because the center of the island and the center of the cabinets behind the island do not line up). Also, with an 8 foot ceiling, it seems to me that putting a pendant over the sink where we already have a faucet, looks crowded.

And now that my eye has gotten used to seeing 2 large pendants over an island, it seems to me that 2 of these Retro Green Pendants at 13 3/4 inch (35 cm) might be too small: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1174654649/retro-pendant-lights-hanging-light?click_key=96f5bf3920b57aab6fa10c06a4119db50539d086%3A1174654649&click_sum=aed45d62&ref=hp_rf-3&frs=1&sts=1&variation0=2914035119. Do you think they are too small???

If I were to go with a larger pendant, it would be this Dome Pendant in 19 1/2 inches (50 cm) : https://www.etsy.com/listing/1285485448/diameter-50-cm-modern-pendant-light?click_key=4f2e57b087e661a4f5ac1f01f453906b43d67319%3A1285485448&click_sum=7a77e3c3&ref=as_recently_viewed-1&frs=1&sts=1 ? (This pendant can be made in green). But I am afraid that the 19 1/2 inch size is too big and bold looking for my space.

Alternatively, I could go with the Dome Pendant in 15 3/4 inches (40 cm). What do you think of that size????

I have read a dozen articles about pendant sizes and spacing, but I am still unsure. Please share your thoughts with me! Thanks!!!

Comments (19)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year
    last modified: last year

You have a 101 inch top, an eight foot ceiling. The HEIGHT of the 19 inch dome is only nine inches.

You'll have 63 inches of open counter top. Leave 15 inches at the ends and 33 inches between them. ( edges of dome) Fine, not too big

leni_2 thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

IMO I need to see the space . Often what works on paper just does not work in real life . From the pics of the pendants I like the green one better and please make sure you have all the lighting in the kitchen LED 4000K I like that the pendants actually light the island too.

leni_2 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • leni_2
    Original Author
    last year

This morning we hung our make-believe pendants from the ceiling! I made the

"pendants" by stuffing a very thin plastic bag with air pillows for wrapping. We placed them where you suggested, Jan, and thought they were not too big!! So now we are finally comfortable with getting two of the 19 1/2 inch pendants and I just wrote to the Esty seller to place my order.

Patricia, appreciate your input about the Kelvin temp of the LEDs in the pendants. We thought long and hard about lighting of our space (kitchen, dining, living -- all in one open space) and we chose 3000K with one exception. The under cabinet lights that illuminate the backsplash tile and the countertop below will be 4000 K.

My plan is to get 3000 K dimmable bulbs. Then the pendant light color temperature will match that of the 3 inch WAC cans we have in the ceiling. In the kitchen we have 6 of these WAC ceiling cans, and a sliding glass door. Also, our cabinets are high gloss white (IKEA) and we will angle the can lights toward the top of the cabinets and the light will bounce into the space below. So I think we have a lot of light.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Good for you : ) in all regards. Just make sure you have adequate clearances all around the island

Recessed on perimeter should light the PERIMETER counter top. Yes, you have under cab, but recessed are both ambient and task light.....unless lighting art

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

I often order multiple items and decide by looking at them in my space. Order both send one back.

• Laurel C
    last year

I have a ~7ft island and I'm putting 2 20" PH5 style lights. I wouldn't go any bigger, but I don't think you'll have any issues with 2 of the larger dome pendants if that's what you want.

leni_2 thanked Laurel C
  • leni_2
    Original Author
    last year

I have a follow on question about pendant placement. To be more exact, my island is really 103 1/2 inches long and 39 inches wide (24 for cabinets + 15 inch overhang + the tiny amount they add to protect the front of the cabinets).

So Jan, I took the placement points you suggested and adapted them for 103 1/2 inches instead of 101 inches and I came up with what you see in this diagram:

And I understand this diagram to show:

- Place the outer edge of each dome of each pendant at 16 inches in from the end.

- When you do this with two pendants that are 19 1/2 inches, you are left with 32 1/2 inches between the inner edges of the domes of the two pendants.

Also, I have read that center of each pendant should be over the center of the island's width. That would mean I should place my pendants at 19 1/2 inches (half of the 39 inch width). Do you agree?

Thanks in advance for your super helpful advice!

Leni

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Why confuse her, when she just ordered them an hour ago?

I recently used THREE 15 inch wide on a 96" island/nine foot elevation , solid shade, and more height to the pendant itself by a lot ( double ).

Started second guessing myself just a bit in the wait........they went up and look fantastic! Hers will be just fine.

• leni_2
    Original Author
    last year

@ Laurel, I am curious. Where did you find your PH 5 pendants? Thanks!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

"When you do this with two pendants that are 19 1/2 inches, you are left with 32 1/2 inches between the inner edges of the domes of the two pendants."

This is an on site decision. If you want 36 between them? ( yes edges) that's fine too.

The word is "suggested........because you take the look and your kitchen and you decide

Like this......and sue me for the 36 which would be 35!!

After a bit? It's hair splitting: )

• Laurel C
    last year

@leni_2 I ordered them from interioricons. I ordered an arco lamp knockoff from them a few years ago and was very happy with the quality. I was hesitant to order any of the knockoffs from amazon based on all the poor reviews, and was steeling my resolve to order a similar but different angled brass pendant from ii when they released the PH pendants. A few weeks later, reviews came in and were good, so I ordered 2. I'm pretty happy with them, though they're just sitting in boxes in our rental house's living room. Wish I could have gotten black.

https://interioricons.com/products/henningsen-pendant-lamp-white-rosa

leni_2 thanked Laurel C
  • leni_2
    Original Author
    last year

@Jan, thanks for your diagram. It's super helpful! And so kind of you to share!!!

I feel more at ease now that I know it's fine to have 32 to 36 inches of space between the inner edges of the domes of the two pendants. So we will play around with placement until it feels right. No pendant inspector to worry about! :) Thank you so very much!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Is that CORD or stem on HP?? Hard to tell in picture and no info in the description

• Laurel C
    last year

@JAN MOYER are you asking about the PH5 knockoffs? If so, it's a cord. These pendants take a standard pendant cord, which means we are able to use them in our high ceilinged room by buying third party long length pendant cords.

• leni_2
    Original Author
    last year

Quick follow on question. @Jan, it looks like in your diagram, the center of the pendants fall halfway/20 inches in from the edge of the seating side and 20 inches in from the working side of the countertop. Is that what I should be understanding from the drawing? Just checking because I'm about to make the marks on the ceiling for our electrician! :) Thanks!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

It's math.........and your electrician will completely understand it.

At ends? 15 inches in from counter top edge plus HALF the nineteen inches of the diameter of the pendant is the mount ON THE CEILING: )

SO...... 15 inches plus 9.5 inches is to be exact? 24 .5 inches. That is the mount mark on the ceiling /center of the mounting plate. Applies to left end/right end and it is centered on your 48 width: )

leni_2 thanked JAN MOYER
  • leni_2
    Original Author
    last year

@Jan, thanks for this explanation.

My island is really just 40 inches wide, so I need to center my marks on the ceiling over 40 inches. Got it!

• leni_2
    Original Author
    last year

My experience talking with you, @Jan, and others about pendant placement has been tremendously helpful! I am so grateful!

I would like to offer a thank you in the form of sharing a creative little trick that came to me today when I was trying to use @Jan's diagram to make the marks on the ceiling for the electrician.

Those of you who have experience with decorating, probably have tricks like this and maybe what I came up with is not novel. But it was new to me and so I'll share it in the hopes it helps someone else.

So here's the "trick": I had read that it's a good idea to use wrapping paper and cut out squares of the same diameter as your pendant and then place the squares on the floor where the island will be. So I cut out 19 inch squares and then I folded each square into a triangle, as you can see in photo. Next I snipped off the point of the triangle so that when you open up the paper and lay it flat, you have a little hole in the center of the square!

So, armed with @Jan's diagram, my husband and I went to work on the floor where the island will be. The contractor had already marked the island off with tape. So all we did, was measure 15 inches from each long end, and at that point we placed one of the squares down on the floor. Next we took a pen and marked the center of the hole in the square. This represents the spot on the floor that's directly under where the electrician will put the center of the mounting plate on the ceiling.

Then, to find where to put the mark on the ceiling, my husband used a laser and we marked the spot with tape! :)