Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
martinca_gw

HELP! Solid Brass Kitchen Faucet Needed ASAP.:MTN, Anyone?

We’ve needed a new kitchen faucet for esthetics for awhile. Now suddenly it’s a plumbing necessity. Recommendations, PLEASE! Not cheap and shiney or over the top $$$$. I believe MTN has one. Polishing would be easy. Here are the $$$$ frig handles where the finish over brass has worn away. Also unsure what to do about that, either. It can wait. Cannot use sink without new faucet!

No more of this finish!

Faucet Set Up

Comments (17)

• Lars
    last year
    last modified: last year

I've bought most of my faucets at Ferguson's, and there is one in Irvine that you could visit.

This one is closer to you but may not have the same selections in their showroom.

I really want to see what I'm buying before I buy it, and Ferguson's has a very good selection. They are also very good with returns, in case you buy something that does not fit.

martinca_gw sunset zone 24 thanked Lars
  • Iri
    last year

Plastic heads are common because they don't get uncomfortably hot when holding the sprayer while spraying things. No shame.

martinca_gw sunset zone 24 thanked Iri
  • maddie260
    last year

Re Ferguson's: I've bought a lot of plumbing fixtures from them over the years only to find the same faucet and the exact sku priced for HUNDREDS of dollars less elsewhere? So, now I always check before purchasing from them.

martinca_gw sunset zone 24 thanked maddie260
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    last year

I have a Kohler and am very happy with it. It replaced a solid brass heavy duty expensive thing that I had for 20 years.

martinca_gw sunset zone 24 thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • jane__ny
    last year

I also have a Kohler with a spray head. It is metal and works beautifully.

I don't think I'd want plastic, however, I've never seen one.

Jane

martinca_gw sunset zone 24 thanked jane__ny
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    last year

I have this one and it's all metal. I'm very happy with the size and function. The second one I post did hear is equally nice. Although it does cost more. I think it would be happy with that one too.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    last year

I can't edit here at all on my phone.

martinca_gw sunset zone 24 thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • eastautumn
    last year

Your refrigerator handles look like they are an ORB (oil rubbed bronze/brass) finish. We have door knobs from Rejuvenation that are true oil-rubbed brass, and over 18 years the dark brown "oil" finish has rubbed off of the frequently-used doors revealing the brass underneath, but in a natural way so it doesn't look patchy (like chipped paint). Your fridge handle on the left sort of looks like a naturally worn finish, but on the right handle it looks like paint chipping.

In any case, as a temporary fix I would recommend removing them and spraying them with several coats of Rustoleum spray paint in "Dark Walnut" satin finish. That will give you a convincing ORB finish. With heavy use the paint will probably start to wear off again, but you can always re-coat them as needed. I have used Dark Walnut satin spray paint on hooks, storm door handles, a headboard, and more, to mimic other ORB hardware in our house. The only place it hasn't held up really well is on the storm door handles where it's worn similarly to your fridge handles, but it still looks better than the shiny brass it's (mostly) covering up. I probably didn't sand the shiny brass on the handles with fine grain sandpaper before spray painting them, but would recommend doing that to your fridge handles to help it adhere better.

martinca_gw sunset zone 24 thanked eastautumn
  • martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    Original Author
    last year

I’m here, finally, and so grateful for all of your replies! Had ^%$#@** tech issuues and couldnt get on. I think my choice doesnt exist in a faucet under 1K plus…and that doesn't include the other 3 holes to fill: the air gap, cold water filter and disposal. That will bring it close to 2K, Im guessing. I refuse. All I want is an aged or antique brass. I have many antiques and bright or brushed brass just seem off here. Must be the goose neck with pull out sprayer style that bumble and mtn posted. Im going to Newport Brass to see, but expect naught but $$$$

Love old brass. Sigh.

Old lamp

Disposal button may stay, depending on faucet color.

Autumn…yes! It hadnt occued to me to try Rustoleum. Worth trying! Thanki you!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Yes, what you want I believe is unlacquered brass.

Our house was all nickel faucets except one of the powder rooms was ORB and one was "living brass" by Herbeau. When my nickel Herbeau faucet in the K sprang a leak, I did not want buy Herbeau again since I felt for the price ($2k for the faucet alone,) they should not have sprung a leak by failure of the metal... i e not even at a joint, just a pinhole in the metal?!. I went for a much less expensive brass and have lived happily ever after.

martinca_gw sunset zone 24 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Allison0704
    last year

Are you handles a living finsih? If so, that is expected. Even if not, no way I would spray paint the handles. It adds age and character. I had Emtek with living finish door hardware at our house that was on a lake. My favorite levers were the ones on the garage entrance door.

I am no help on the ktichen faucet since I would have suggested the unlacquered brass Waterworks Henry I used in our last house. Used in the kitchen and our bathrooms, I loved the patina it developed in a short time, but quck and easy to polish if desired... or to start over.

martinca_gw sunset zone 24 thanked Allison0704
    Original Author
    last year

Ahh, Allison, Waterworks is ooolala. I also love age and character…

…DH, for example 🤣.

But this looks more like damage to me. One more chance to change your opinion. I do like the freezer side.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

I'd replace them. Esp if you don't have a lot of patina elsewhere.

martinca_gw sunset zone 24 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Allison0704
    last year

Agree to replace them if not a living finish.

martinca_gw sunset zone 24 thanked Allison0704
    Original Author
    last year

No Patina elsewhere? Much of my wood is from the 1800’s, so, uh, yeah…patina. Also, I never got over my southern roots of the original shabby chic mentality. So, I won’t replace them, but may play with them , knowing there is a metal refinisher nearby who can corect my botched job.

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    last year

Waterstone faucets are solid brass. They have unlacquered or clear coated brass. You might try looking at their website. www.waterstoneco.com They are made in the USA and have a lifetime functional warranty.