Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cathy_elton

Teal velvet - does it show dirt?

Katie Altman
last year

I am planning to buy an Apt2B sofa, but their fabrics are not great. I do like the teal velvet, but some people have warned me off of that because a solid dark-ish velvet will show light dirt. Does anyone with teal or blue velvet want to weigh in? Is it enough of a reason not to get it? Thanks!

For reference, this is the color.

Comments (17)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Well. Maintenance of any sofa in any color is exactly the same.

Rotate cushions and flip them over.

Weekly vacuum. Why? Because the fine dust in the air, in combination with body oils from your hands, feet etc will turn to .......g.r.i.m.e on anything upon which you sit.

There's no escaping this simple routine. Dog, hair, cat hair ask what color are your pets ?

if you eat on your sofa? You already know what can happen and it matters not color or fabric, just whether you can remove a spill.

So. The answer to your question is really this:

You can keep almost any fabric looking good, and you can also destroy even the most "forgiving" : ) It depends......you.

• ilikefriday
    last year
    last modified: last year

I have a navy sofa and chaise with a similar fabric and a now teenage boy who was a small kid when I purchased them. They have survived all the dirt that kids that age can throw at them and still look fine. I find them no more difficult than any other color fabric I have owned to keep clean. I don't allow food or snacks outside of my kitchen. It would never occur to me not to purchase a dark color sofa for fear of this.

• arcy_gw
    last year

My mom had one and I don't recall it ever being an issue keeping it clean.

• Katie Altman
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, everyone!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I think if you really want an answer you need to share the situation . I love leather it is always been my go to for furniture it stands up to everyday life , kids , dogs and parties. I use nice fabric for a few pillows in choices I would not choose for a whole sofa.

Katie Altman thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • kandrewspa
    last year

I had a red wine colored sofa in my living room for many years and the problem was not dirt, but that certain spots were worn away slightly over time, but that took a while to happen. I still love it because it was good quality and comfortable, so now it's in the basement. But I think a Performance or similar fabric would be a better idea unless this is going to be in a room that is infrequently used. Although some people have complaints about Performance fabrics . . . Nothing is perfect and at the risk of sounding like an crotchety old geezer, they just don't make things the way they used to. :-) I will say that the teal sofa is beautiful. Have you been able to sit on it so you know if it's comfortable for you (everyone's definition of comfort can be different)?

Katie Altman thanked kandrewspa
  • chispa
    last year

The wear rating on the fabric makes a huge difference.

What is the cleaning code? Can you blot a stain with water? Which is what most of us will do if something gets spilled.

If you have a swatch, try blotting half of it with a damp towel (pretending to clean a stain) and then blot with dry towel. Let swatch dry. How does it look? Stained? Fabric nap looks different?

I used an expensive velvet fabric once that looked like it had been hit by acid when one of my kids spilled plain water on it. It was recommended by a designer, who knew I had kids, so she paid to have the chairs re-done in a more durable fabric. Since then I have done the water test on every fabric that I plan on using.

• roarah
    last year

My teal velvet chair shows far more of my cats hair than my lighter sea foam color velvet sofa but less stains.

• tracefloyd
    last year

We have a teal easy chair in velvet in that same color and love it...gets a lot of use and looks fine.

• Maureen
    last year

I had both mid-blue and dark brown velvet couches over the years with 3 kids, 2 dogs and 2 cats and weren’t any more of an issue than keeping any other couch looking good. My niece has a navy velvet couch (with 3 kids) and loves it.

• btydrvn
    last year

The lint brushes with a “stickery” material are great for these challenges..removes hair..dust..etc. easily…and this cleaner is perfect for any upholstery

• btydrvn
    last year

Leaves no “spots”

• salonva
    last year

Another one here who has navy velvet sofas. They spent their first 25 years in the living room (so were very gently used). When we moved 4 years ago, I moved them to my living room that we use every single day. I have to say, the fabric still looks great. Of course in the beginning we did not really abuse it or eat in that room. Now, I have to remember to lift the cushions and vacuum regularly because we do eat there and you know, crumbs! ( also we had a 2 year lockdown and they got majorly sat on and lived on and slept on)

The only thing that shows is my dog's hair ( of course he is golden colored) but it comes off right away. I'd get it again.

The teal is beautiful. Enjoy!

• Katie Altman
    Original Author
    last year

everyone here has helped me so much and i really appreciate all of you!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

In the end? For slobbing, movie binge, pizza fest, popcorn, wine and lounge, bad flu......coughing, hacking, sneezing, dog drooling cat licking etc? And no visitors present?

You best Home Alone couch friend is a big queen size quilt, washable as underwear. Toss it on. Get the snoozy pillow too.. The fabric will last twenty years.: )

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last year

It all depends on how you care for your things. The chairs posted below are green velvet circa early 1970s. Original upholstery and frames. They look as good today as when they were first made, due in part to my mom's careful stewardship over these many years. And they were used, a lot, especially by my dad in his later years. But no one ever ate while sitting in them, they were in a sitting room, not a TV room. And we did not have pets.

Also, all fabric has its pros and cons. Dark fabrics show light lint and light fabrics dark lint. Same with carpeting. Patterned fabrics show less lint and dirt than solids. Smooth fabrics like cotton and especially chintz don't "hold" lint as well as napped fabrics like velvet, mohair and wool.

So pick your poison, and take good care of your upholstery :)