Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katrina_with_a_t

Space Planning for a Small Living Room

We bought a small bungalow and are in the process of remodeling a portion of the first floor, turning 2 small bedrooms and bathroom into a larger bedroom and bathroom with a pantry for the kitchen. I’m unsure, however, how to best use the space in the small living room and dining room. We are replacing the ceiling lights, having the ceiling skim coated and painted, and painting the walls and crown molding (Ben Moore Simply White). Curtains are being raised to just below the crown. I’d love to paint the fireplace and fireplace floor tile as well, but am open to leaving it.

Floor Layout

• Living room is roughly 11x13 and opens into a roughly 10x11 dining room
  • Front door opens right into living room
  • Of the four "walls" of the room, one has the front door, one has a wall of windows, one has a fireplace, and the other is open into the dining room.
  • Front window wall in the living room is 11’4”, but with door open is 98”
  • The distance between the front (windowed) wall and the fireplace surround is 44”

Other notable points

• Ideally we'd have a couch (84"?), two smaller accent chairs, and rug to anchor it all
  • We will not have a TV in the room, so that isn't necessary to plan around
  • Probably doesn't matter as considering layout, but as an FYI, we've painted the walls, ceiling, and crown molding; are changing out the light fixture and are open to ideas on both fireplace (paint? leave? something else?) and window dressing.

I've attached photos from the previous owners' layout (sale photos, so a distorted wide lens is used to make things look bigger) as well as the only thoughts for furniture layout that I can imagine. What are .your thoughts? I need help!

Comments (15)

• tracefloyd
    last year

Would this work? I like the idea of not stepping into the seating area from the front door. Walk behind a large sectional. There is an armchair/recliner in the corner that could swivel to face the fireplace. There is a console table in the nook. A coffee table/ottoman and the area rug is the dashed line.

There is a dining banquette against the wall with a round table and chairs, and that does not impede too closely into the sectional.

This concept rendering is not to scale, I did not measure the pieces.

Katrina_with_a_t thanked tracefloyd
  • PRO
    Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
    last year

Congratulations on your new home. It looks like a craftsman. I really love craftsman homes. My team and I will be happy to put together A 3-D rendition with suggestions for furniture layouts. It helps to know that you won’t have a TV in the room. As for your fireplace, there are many options. Most of the options are based on the style you want to keep in the room. Do you want to keep the craftsman look?

Katrina_with_a_t thanked Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
  • PRO
    Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
    last year

Katrina, I will say that option number two in your schematics looks really good. This may be the best one. But we will still put together the rendition to see if we can come up with anything else for you to look at and consider. Best wishes, MAE

Katrina_with_a_t thanked Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
  • Katrina_with_a_t
    Original Author
    last year

Wow, thanks, @Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design! I wasn't sure that that second layout would work, but then was inspired by this photo, which looks like it might be from a similar type of room/home ...

• njmomma
    last year

So interested in see the final pictures on this cozy home!

Katrina_with_a_t thanked njmomma
  • Katrina_with_a_t
    Original Author
    last year

@tracefloyd I will play with your design; my instinct is that there's not enough room to move a couch or sectional forward like that, but I could be wrong. Thank you for the idea!

• cpartist
    last year

What is the age of the house?

• Katrina_with_a_t
    Original Author
    last year

@cpartist - the house was built in 1927, so almost 100 years old. It's a small, simple craftsman bungalow.

• la_la Girl
    last year

Love your house! We lived in a very similar one years ago - we had a challenging small front room as well that had entrances to a 3rd bedroom, hallway and dining room - it was a beast to get right.

We ended up with 2 cozy loungy armchairs and an apartment sized sofa as it enabled our traffic flows to work. The sofa was a tightback leather english arm style so it looked fairly sleek and didn't take up a lot of visual space - so FWIW apartment sized sofas could be another option for the smaller scale room- enjoy your lovely house - I still miss our old bunglaow! ♥

Katrina_with_a_t thanked la_la Girl
  • cpartist
    last year

@cpartist - the house was built in 1927, so almost 100 years old. It's a small, simple craftsman bungalow.

I'm sorry to hear you painted the crown molding as people who want a craftsman bungalow, they want it with original woodwork. Please don't paint anymore of the woodwork.

There are several forums about craftsman and bungalow houses on FB. I suggest you join them for advice.

There are also some excellent books about decorating craftsman bungalows.

I always have problems myself with layouts so I'll leave that to those who are better at it.

Katrina_with_a_t thanked cpartist
  • K Laurence
    last year

Stop painting away the character of your Craftsman ….

• Katrina_with_a_t
    Original Author
    last year

@cpartist - thanks for the tips! And yes, we're done painting the trim in the front rooms (the only trim that is unpainted). Painting the crown has helped make the small rooms feel larger, so I don't regret doing that. But I do appreciate the viewpoint of the "leave the wood!" purists, and we thought about it for quite a while.

• cpartist
    last year

I am a craftsman house lover. I built a new craftsman and we moved in 4 years ago. Why did I build instead of just buying one of the many craftsman bungalows in my area? Because every single one we looked at had been remuddled.

I could tell exactly what decade the house had been remuddled based on what they had done. Most had been remuddled to the point that bringing it back to it's former glory would have been more daunting than building the new craftsman we built.

Those that might have worked would not work for us because of location or because of things like stairs and bedrooms upstairs with no chance to add an elevator, or even a stair lift later on. (We are seniors)

Sadly more and more of these beautiful old homes are being ruined by those who think HGTV is great design.

• tracefloyd
    last year

I love your inspo photo. Very nice open plan.

Katrina_with_a_t thanked tracefloyd