Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heather_hithe

Help!! Need help finding a green paint for north facing room!!

Heather Hithe
last year

I recently purchased an 1883 Queen Anne. My my dream is to have a beautiful green for an accent wall. It’s a north facing room, therefore all green walls are a no go. I’ve read for weeks about greens and north facing walls. Most say do white or light colors however I’m determined to find a green. I’ve read tons of articles that say you can do a green, just specific ones. I’ve read about LRV, undertones, warmth, muted, what to avoid etc. None of the articles actually list the name of the greens that will work😩. So I’m begging at this point…please give me brands and names of greens that work in north facing rooms!! Thank you all so much.

Comments (5)

• Marylee H
    last year

Hi - do yourself a huge favour.

Forget ‘undertones’.

Forget ‘only certain colours work for specific points of the compass.’

You can have colours from *EVERY* Hue Family for every point of the compass.

The secret?

Finding the best partnership of Value (lightness) + Chroma (degree of colour) to fit with the quality of light you have available.

More colourful colours do better in lower light settings, than more neutral colours. Their extra kick of Chroma is what helps bust through any tendency to gloom.

So more colourful greens are what you are after.

Also more dimly lit spaces do well with light + colourful, dark + colourful or just dark colours. Leave the mid Value near neutrals for more moderately lit spaces.

You can compare the Value + Chroma of greens for free, via The Land of Color, Color DNA Table.

Some examples for you to consider?

F&B Bancha.

BM Mountain Lane

PPG Mountain Forest

But they still need viewing in situ. Paint chips or painted samples. Your northern light quality is specific and likely different to someone elses. So it’s always worth testing/viewing your shortlist.

You can find greens from different Hue Families too. (again see the Color DNA Table)

Yellow

Green-Yellow

Green

Blue-Green

Which Family of greens are you most drawn to? Which work better with your fixed finishes?

Colours from this zone have the capacity to shift and appear more blueish in certain imbalanced lighting. They aren’t blue & don’t have blue ‘undertones.’

If they shift in your room and appear that way, try greens from a different Hue Family.

This colour shift occurs more in muted greens and you after something more colourful. But at least you know what to look out for when testing.

#shifthappens #green #north #south #east #west

• Marylee H
    last year

See myths bust about north/south/east/west

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CQ1yuZ-CMYK/?utm_medium=share_sheet

• Jilly
    last year

What will the other walls be painted? Which wall will be the accent wall? What kind of green are wanting, i e, olive, emerald, bluish, grayish, sage, etc, etc?

I’d go on the Farrow & Ball Instagram page for inspiration … they show so many older homes and others not blinding light American style. If you see a green that interests you, do a hashtag search of it. It might be a starting point (for looking at other brands, too).

For the style of your house and just doing an accent wall, I wouldn’t fret too much about it being north facing.

Marylee, love your hashtag - #shifthappens 😄

• chinacatpeekin
    last year

I’m not a pro, but am a homeowner of a 1915 Craftsman. The advice above is excellent. No one can tell you a specific color- because the way it will look in your home will be specific to your home- and you have your own likes and dislikes, too. I believe different people see colors differently, just as food can taste different to different people. You need to get some (large) paint samples and try them out at various times of day. I recently did some repainting in my home, and loved using Farrow & Ball. They have fewer color options, which makes it easier in some respects (more curated) and are particularly well suited to older homes. Their colors are so beautiful; I love how they subtly change throughout the day. Prior to F&B I’ve always used Benjamin Moore Historic Colors, and have been very happy with them as well, although the F&B colors are a cut above, IMO.

• Heather Hithe
    Original Author
    last year

@Marylee H. Thank you for the response. The DNA table is a great suggestion. To your questions, I either want a green or a blue-green. I know for sure I do not want a yellow-green. I got several samples and thought last week I found one. I bought the paint and painted the whole wall. When I was done it was so dark it made the room feel small and closed in. I hate it. So now I feel like I’m back to square one, but these all are great suggestions. I think I need to go with a lighter green. Originally I felt like going lighter I wouldn’t get the contrast that I wanted. Now after all the failed attempts I think lighter will make it more cozy. We’ll see! Thanks again.