Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_950803199

Want wood floors, but... SO MUCH WOOD ALREADY

Doug Kraus
last year

Just moved into 80s home with beautiful views. Will replace everything with more contemporary pieces. Want to start with paint, flooring, silestone counters. As you can see, there's beautiful T&G ceiling with a washed out wood (has grey/blue knots). This is a beach home, so it goes well, I think, and calking and painting all that T&G is a major project. But now what to do with flooring? Would like it to carry thoughout the house.

Project: remove track lighting and ceiling fan, possibly paint kitchen cabinets white, paint walls neutral white, paint beams, replace flooring with either LVF in wood or slate look OR go engineered hardwood. There's a lot of moisture in the air here so LVF would be safest.

Please give me ideas? The house has a bit of a Eastern zen vibe, so maybe pull colors and influences?

Don't want to change this room, just showing sunroom and entry to house.

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

I'd leave the ceiling and beams alone and paint the walls a bright white. Then you can do a rustic modern coastal vibe with your furnishings and accents:

Canal House · More Info

Canal House · More Info

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

There are no beams in those pics and that makes a huge difference IMO and the floors are not wood

• njmomma
    last year

To me the beams look heavy. Could be the height of your ceiling. Love your floors. I would paint the ceiling and beams a shade of white. Or try and come as close to the shade of wood you already have on the ceiling. Looks like a light colored wood on my screen.

• pugga
    last year

I'd try to work with the ceiling, if at all possible. I don't think wood floors would be too much. You have non-wood walls for the most part and those beautiful windows and views to break up the wood surfaces. It might be too much in the kitchen, depending on the wood tones you have on the floor so I'd likely paint or reface the kitchen cabinets.

If you find that the wood floors are still too much for your liking, you could then put in the work to lighten up the beams and/or paint the beams and ceiling.

• kandrewspa
    last year

I wouldn't touch the ceiling because it is beautiful and it would be a lot of work to paint all of it. Start bringing home flooring samples until you find one you like. If you don't like anything, wait a bit because the LVP manufacturers change up their offerings frequently. If you were to buy something now it probably wouldn't still be available in a year or two. So when you do find what you want be prepared to buy it for the whole house if you intend to do the whole house with it. Stunning view, great house - I think I could live with carpet for as long as it takes to find the right thing, but it is so much easier to do the floors before moving in.

The kitchen cabinets look like they're in good shape, but dated and dark. Use the kitchen for a while to see if you like the layout before putting expensive countertops on old cabinets.

• eld6161
    last year
    last modified: last year

Although the ceiling is lovely, it dominates the directional choices. What wood tone floor would you put with it?

I like Patiricia’s idea of painting it all white. Maybe a soft white like SW Alabaster?

Then you can choose whatever wall color and wood tone floor you want.

Since you are keeping the kitchen cabinets, you need to find a wood floor that coordinates since the kitchen is part of the living room.

https://www.kylieminteriors.ca/how-to-mix-match-and-coordinate-wood-stains-undertones/

• Kelly Jones
    last year

Great home and location!

I'd keep the ceiling as it is, but replace all the spot lights with ceiling fixtures and floor and table lamps.

Wood floors and humidity are a no-go. Carpet and sand is also very hard to maintain.

Are you on a slab?

I'm thinking a shellstone tile would be stunning:

• elcieg
    last year

I would consider a cork floor because the design will not mimic the ceiling.

If you do want wood, go with engineered hardwood and run the floor with the direction of the beams.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

I would select a large format tile for the floors. Maybe consider something that simulates polished concrete floors.

See the polished concrete floors that RH uses in all of their remodeled stores. It's a great backdrop of any style furnishings and art.

• arcy_gw
    last year

Your kitchen cupboards are the most beautiful wood in your home. The flooring and counters are not doing it justice. The dark beams don't work but the ceiling is soo light already I would leave it. For a beach home I wonder if there is a better floor than wood.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    last year

Gorgeous view! I love a slate or stone look tile - exact product depends on your budget. You have your fireplace and the stone in your sunroom to guide you with color. I would not go dark, though. Rugs will help define areas and add some color.

• Doug Kraus
    Original Author
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

Thank you everyone for the advice. I went with the "DO NOT paint the ceilings and cabinets" crowd. Great call. I decided to embrace and enhance the vintage feel of the home instead of moderninzing it. Here's the progress. Still need flooring.

CLICK FOR AFTER PIX