Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_950803199

They said paint the cabinets and the ceilings. Instead I did this!

Doug Kraus
6 months ago
last modified: 6 months ago

To all those that said DO NOT paint the kitchen cabinets, THANK YOU! See thread thread below for before pix. Instead of trying to update my 80s home into a modern white kitchen home, I embraced its vintage vibe. The inspiration came from a set of Eames chairs I found on Marketplace for $50 each! I striped and restored them to their glorious soft orange. Then I brought one to Sherman Williams and matched with a can of Knockout Orange paint; cost $28! I went from colonial granny to shagadellic for under $2k, plus the counters which were $9k. Floors are next. Thinking slate plank LVF in the kitchen (to play off Organic Concrete counters) and a dark neutral area rug under couch or go LVF throughout, although wall-to-wall seems to go with the style. I am sure I’m breaking a bunch of design rules, but I love it! I call it “Contemporary Brady (Bunch)” 🤣

LINK

AFTER. Flooring is next on the list!

BEFORE kitchen.

$200 for Herman Miller chairs!

Restored under all that gunk!

Haven't painted this wall yet. Photoshopped to see if I like. Thoughts?

Scored this original ratan 60s coffee table for $100! Wayfair couch and chair in back.

Call it a day!

Comments (33)

• jck910
    6 months ago

Very nice! Enjoy

• mytwo cents
    6 months ago

Just fantastic.

For your Dylan wall, consider pulling a different color out his hair or elsewhere in the poster see how you'd react to that. You've got lots of options but I actually think the color that's there now works well enough. I'm a little concerned about a strong color inadvertantly emphasising your split unit.

The coffee table is an inspired chose. Really like it.

I have this in my own office, sitting on a file cabinet. Found it on sale

Doug Kraus thanked mytwo cents
  • Doug Kraus
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Thanks. Good suggestion, I'll mock up some options. I am not afraid to take some chances! At first I thought you meant split level as in house, which mine is! Now I see you mean the heat pump. Wondering if I can paint to match?

Yes, love the reclined lady. Got mine in Bali with some other art in the photos.

• mytwo cents
    6 months ago

Just remembered this if you are looking for something at the fireplace

https://www.chairish.com/product/7772061/mid-century-modern-boomerangball-3-abstract-sculpture-wall-art

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 months ago

Nice! Good to see something other than white and gray.

• Maureen
    6 months ago

Great decisions.

• la_la Girl
    6 months ago

Love the orange! the space is both energetic and relaxing - enjoy! :)

• Doug Kraus
    Original Author
    6 months ago

THank you Paul F. Took me a minute to figure out what you meant. Yes! I LOVE IT. Is there a place that sells them or have custom built? Add to my project list 🤣

• Paul F.
    6 months ago

There are photos of several ideas in this blog. I'm sure all custom built.

https://www.netrinc.com/blog/mitsubishi-electric-ductless-indoor-units-color-choices/

• elcieg
    6 months ago

Can you face the sectional to the corner fireplace?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 months ago

looks great.

the only thing I would do is lose this horrible tile (it was put in long after the style of the home was built)

How about a larger format terrazzo? (Emser makes Terazio that would be nice. wayfair/home depot) or maybe a black hex?

In a pinch you could paint over that tile and do a stencil. lots of online tutorials.

• Doug Kraus
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Thanks Beth. Yes, tile has to go. It's next on my reno. I'm leaning toward LVP in a medium or darker slate. LVP is warmer, more durable than tile and don't like the idea of painting. Will look to see if they make a LVP in Terazio style.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 months ago

Or, what about a marmoleum? that would be appropriate and last way longer than lvp.

it comes in a sheet, modular tiles, and all colors/textures.

this one is a click and lock

The Asian Tiger color would work w/your room!

https://www.wayfair.com/Forbo--Marmoleum-Cinch-Loc-Seal-11.81”-x-35.43”-x-9.9mm-Laminate-Flooring-933866-L1377-K~FRBO1021.html

linoleum, similar

https://www.houzz.com/photos/mid-century-modern-linoleum-floor-kitchen-ideas-phbr2-bp~t_709~s_2115~a_47-352

• tozmo1
    6 months ago

Looks great! Herman and Mr. & Mrs. Eames need to invite their friend Eero over for dining

Love Beth's ideas for marmoleum and linoleum.

• lat62
    6 months ago

How about the flooring from Charles' apartment in Only Murders in the Building?

I really like it

Found this discussion:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6299257/charles-kitchen-floor-in-only-murders-in-the-building

• Iluvdark kychns
    6 months ago

Following this. Very cool. Look forward to seeing when floors are done.

• mytwo cents
    6 months ago

Can understand not wanting to block one inch of the view but for myself I'd want a chaise at the far side of the window, and maybe a sculptural one would feel right

or if one wanted to share

even a cheap one might be fine (I'd want to change the front legs -- i think it also comes in sand or khaki)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 months ago

I love it orange is such a happy colr this is my MCM homes kitchen I smile everytime I go in there

BTW slate look laminate for the floors.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    6 months ago

Why fake plastic on your floors? ;)

• Jilly
    6 months ago

Doug, WOW, amazing house and decor! Everything really looks great.

Love how your chairs turned out and I’m very jealous of that wonderful coffee table find. Great choice on using orange in your kitchen. I vote yes on painting that one wall you asked about, and looking into what Paul suggested.

I like the bench in front of it — the mix of another style with the MCM.

Fun thread, I’ve enjoyed reading the posts.

Until you can redo the kitchen floors, one option might be a vinyl rug. I ordered mine from Hudson & Vine and am so happy with it. Another poster inspired me, she has one in her awesome vintage kitchen. They have lots of fun styles. The rugs are thin, but don’t move around much, and have a slight texture.

• Jen Grigg
    6 months ago

Very groovy vibe!!! Love it!

• doods
    6 months ago

Beautiful and cozy, looks like you have a great view too.

• doods
    6 months ago

@Diana Bier Interiors, LLC .... 😊 good catch

• auntthelma
    6 months ago

Love it! including the style description.

There is not one orange anything in my house. And I love it in yours.

If we are voting, I vote yes on painting the Dylan wall.

• Doug Kraus
    Original Author
    6 months ago

I've never shared like this on a forum. I appreciate every one of your comments and suggestions. I should point out, the view is everythig to me. It's the main reason I bought the home less than a year ago. It commands your attention as soon as you walk inside. I honestly don't watch TV much because the world is more interesting to view. There's always something going on out there, eagles nesting in the big tree, flocks of birds flying past my windows, bats swooping, crabbing boats heading out, clouds and storms coming in, fog rolling off the mountain. So yea, I don't want anything to block or even distract from the view.

• rosaprimula
    6 months ago

I am doing yellow marmoleum in my kitchen - there is also a lush orange called Pumpkin. Marmoleum is a beautiful and environmentally conscious choice. Mines Lemon Zest...with fuchsia walls and moss green cabinets (although I don't have fitted units as I am afraid to say I have a tendency to unsafe cupboard behaviour). Shelves for me, to curb wild hoarding instincts.

• Jilly
    6 months ago

THE VIEWS 😍

• theotherjaye
    6 months ago

That is gorgeous. Reminds me of Yachats, OR.

Also thirding the recommendation of Marmoleum - we had it in our last kitchen (lime green), and it was hands down the best kitchen flooring I’ve ever had. For one thing, it is basically self healing from knife cuts. As far as I could tell, it is unstainable. It’s fantastic stuff, made from sustainable materials.

• artemis78
    6 months ago

I will caution that we have Marmoleum Click II and it hasn't held up well--we put it in in 2010, and it needs to be replaced at this point. I expected to get much longer out of it. Some areas near doors and windows have sun damage so are discolored, and it has gouges and scratches throughout from daily use. We patched some in the early years but eventually gave up. Sheet Marmoleum may well fare better, and all of it probably does better in a home without pets or kids and with modern windows that filter UV (ours are the vintage home's original windows). I do love the feel of it underfoot, but overall it's been a big disappointment (though I do agree the look would be terrific with your aesthetic--love the updates!)

• AnnKH
    6 months ago

Fantastic! My Mom painted our kitchen orange in 1967 (if I had a photo, it would be in black and white!)

In our next house, she painted the front door orange (and later got a Volkswagon Beetle to match).

• Kendrah
    6 months ago

Hard to concentrate on anything inside with those views! Wow.

• shirlpp
    6 months ago

Orange is the new black! You've embraced it well!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022