Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherrygirl5

T daylilies 2023

sherrygirl zone5 N il
last year
last modified: last year

Show us your best performing T daylilies.

Bad Joke of the day: I was addicted to the hokey pokey but then I turned myself around.

Trance was added in summer of 2021 as two fans. Last season, first full season here I had four blooming scapes. I am so pleased with its first appearance here.

Tall Dark Stranger, cant say enough good things about this daylily. It has had fast increase and blooms have been flawless. The color leans more purple in cooler temperatures.

Through Dark Waters has big blooms on a tallish plant. Good increase and blooms hold up great in the sun here. It shows some teeth on the edge most days. This was a bonus plant that earned its keep because of the color and bloom size.

Sherry

Comments (21)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    last year

Well Sherry......as they say about your quip ........"that's what it's all about". Startling to me is that I remember as a child doing the Hokey Pokey............Your picture of Tall Dark Stranger is riveting. Great color...........My Through Dark Waters does not like my climate as much as yours apparently likes yours. Rather lackluster color here:

One of my favorite daylilies. Huge blooms, pretty color, great name:

To God Be the Glory:

Maryl

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • lilykate7a
    last year

Sherry, your bad jokes are funny because they are indeed hokey pokey ones! Good job on those!! I love your Trance photo.

Too many best Ts to list but here are a few.

Tall Dark Stranger was added due to Sherry’s good reviews. It has not disappointed.

Thomas Tew. Although this one has muddy color in other gardens, it has always been this color in mine. I love the velvety color and the feathering of that color

My favorite photo from past years

True Gertrude Demerst is an oldie that always performs well

This is my favorite photo of True Gertrude Demerest taken a few years ago

Tahiti Sweetie was added last year, thanks to Kay, I think. This was first year performance

Tricolor has proved to be a good multiplier and rebloomer but often does not show the clear delineation of the ”tricolor”. It made the cut due to the rapid multiplication of fans and the two reblooming cycles

Others of note were Thin Man, Thundering Voice, The Heathen Rage, Two and a Half Cats

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked lilykate7a
  • Nancy 6b
    last year

I like the color on Dark Waters. I used to have it, but mine was less impressive here so I got rid of it when I started "downsizing". To God Be the Glory is lovely. Thomas tew looks so good in Kate's garden, but I have recently seen it in a local friend's garden. Pretty, but not as impressive, so I have so far resisted. I may lose that resistence though.

Only picture I had of Tall Dark Stranger is in full sun, so you don't get the full effect of it, but I agree, it is a great plant.

I have heard Terry Lyninger is not that great a plant, but it has been above average in my garden. I could wish it were just a bit taller, but it blooms a long time, and usually reblooms. Did not like the heat and drought last year but still did quite well.

Love Two Sues

Titanic Tower does great too

Tahiiti sweetie. I believe it had grown too close to the driveway, and when I divided it to move, there was mold on the roots. I cleaned and dried it, really did not look that bad when I dug it, but I don't think any survived. I already contacted Laura to get some more. Hope it will not be too long, I love this one. Lots of buds, it does tend to bloom out in bouquets every day but bloom still lasts at least a month

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
  • mantis__oh
    last year

I would be interested in seeing a pic of Thundering Voice. Not sure what you mean by muddy color in Thomas Tew. This is what it looks like here. I like it, though the beige background isn't perhaps an eye catcher. Tall Dark Stranger looks more interesting than parent Russian Rhapsody, though plant habit looks similar.

I have so many T's that I would recommend. Where does one begin?

Tonight's the Nite

Tattered Heart. Plant habit is exemplary, with taller, well-branched scapes, nicely spaced flowers.

Tina's Siren Song. Again, well branched.

Tropical Fruit Loops. I like the shade of orange, and it is quite well budded.

The X Files. Nice bloom, but plant habit appears that it may be a bit sprawling.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked mantis__oh
  • Brad KY 6b
    last year

Lots of pretty flowers!

Sherry, Thru Dark Water is beautiful.

Maryl, To God be the Glory

Kate, Tall Dark Stranger & Tahiti Sweetie are my faves; your Thomas Tew is a good color. THe first couple of years I didn't like mine, but the color improved over time. Last year it was nice.

Mantis, Tonight's the Nite and Tattered Heart are my favs. I'm not big on appliques but this one is very nice.

Nancy, Two Sues is my favorite of yours. If only one flower is in bud, is it One Sue?

Have you all seen that our little town here, Wilmore KY and Asbury University is in the national news? There is a big revival at Asbury and people are coming from all over the nation, it is on youtube, facebook and elsewhere. We have gone: peaceful and worshipful. Packed even during the superbowl.

Thomas Tew

Tune the Harp, always lovely, good bloomer. Love the mix of color.

Tuscawilla Tigress. Not a favorite but reliable and worth keeping.

I only have one other T, Tenn. Sunset which is only an average bloomer but prettier than TT.

Brad

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Brad KY 6b
  • shive
    last year

Sherry - I always liked the hokey pokey, and that joke was funny. It's good to see Trance doing well in your garden. I did not photograph mine last year, so I'll have to post a photo from the past.

Trance multiplies well here and blooms for a long time. Mine blooms late rather than mid as registered.

Tides Roll In is a dependable rebloomer in my garden.

The Color of Wonderful always does well and has rebloomed every year I've grown it.

The Ultimate Sacrifice is one of my best hybridizing parents and is a terrific rebloomer.

Tuxedo Junction had a high bud count last year despite the lack of rain.

Other T's with good performance were Twirling Tower and Two Sues.

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • organic_kitten
    last year

Sherry, Your jokes are amusing and I suspect I wasn't the only one to have the tune from today but I hope that tune won't be playing all day in my mind. I like your
    Tall Dark Stranger. very nice photo!

Maryl, that photo of To God Be the Glory is very nice: a pretty one too.

Kate, your Tahiti Sweetie is a beauty but it didn't come from me since Julia blessed me with it and last year was my first blooming year. Your Thomas Tew photos always look good.

Mantis, you have several lovely photos as usual, and Tina's Siren Song is a lovely one.

Tavaris Multicolor is a good plant here with two re-blooming cycles making it bloom over a long period.

The Dark Side is a favorite, and it is a rebloomer

Two Sues Does well here and reblooms here

Texas Carnival Dance:

Thais this old Munson, is a good bloomer and a very good rebloomer here

kay

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked organic_kitten
  • shive
    last year

Mantis - Tina's Siren Song and Tattered Heart caught my eye. Would you describe Tina's Siren Song as pink?

Brad - I've always loved your photos of Tune the Harp.

Nancy - That's just a shame about Tahiti Sweetie. It was always such an impressive clump in your garden.

I sent Thomas Tew packing last year. I did not care for what was a muddy, beige petal color here. I hope it will do better for Kay.

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • mantis__oh
    last year

The Dark Side looks very appealing, but is doubtful for here. Sibling Christopher Moody has less of the beige petal base than does Thomas Tew, but doesn't have TT's height or bud count. I eliminated CM.

Hanson describes Tina's SS as "pastel orchid and cameo pink." Yes, definitely pink tones.

The Future of Desire is a nice color, but shorter than registered, like so many Hansons.

Tahiti Sweetie can have different looks--sometimes with more spots and sometimes a smoother look. It doesn't seem as popular as many Davissons, probably because some people avoid orange.

The Food Channel has a distinctive coloration. Plant doesn't seem as vigorous as many Hansons, but isn't weak.

Toucan Sam the first few years had low bud count, but has turned into an early season standout.

The Dream Society is a later bloomer, later than I would prefer, but a rich color.

• mantis__oh
    last year

Two Times Tarty (a registration error) did not bloom well this year (unusual). I have posted it separately here because I see that Floyd Boatwright suffered a severe stroke last year. He is recovering gradually, but suffers serious effects. His wife reports that he enjoys looking at pictures of his daylilies, but a minute later doesn't remember anything. As most of you know, John Benz is in long-term care.

• organic_kitten
    last year

Toucan Sam is really nice, Mantis. It is a shame The Dark side would not do well there bevcasue it is one of the ones that has perfect blooms everytime and the white appears white, not beige or pink.

kay

• Brad KY 6b
    last year

Debra, Tides Roll and the Color of Wonderful are great colors!

Kay, Tavaris Multicolor and The Dark Side are also great colors. I like Two Sues as well.

Brad

• organic_kitten
    last year

I forgot to even consider Trahlyta and it does really well here.

kay

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    last year

Lots of beautiful T daylilies here, but I like Two Sues, The Dream Society, Toucan Sam, and To God Be the Glory. We grow The Dark Side, but it just survives here.

The Bride of Dracula is one of our favorites. It has great plant habit, the flowers are quite bright, and it sets seed well. We have some nice seedlings from it too.

Plain yellow isn't my favorite daylily color, but there is no doubt that Tidewater Elf is a great daylily--Stout Medal quality in my opinion.

I love Toy Trumpets--lots of little yellow blooms on scapes with a decent height. Small diploids on good scapes add such grace to the garden.

Here is our Trance.

Tropical Tease has not been in the garden very long, but I think it is going to be one of my favorite Norris tets.

That's all for me.

Nancy

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
  • celeste/NH
    last year

I really like the Bride of Dracula, even though I'm not usually drawn to orange. Tattered Heart looks terrific.

Here are mine:

THRONED IN GLORY, an overall great plant and lovely flowers; very pod fertile

TROUBLED SLEEP, if you like deep, dark purple on a stellar plant this one's for you

TECHNY SPIDER, an older one but a good one here but on the short side

TEABERRY TYCOON, hybridized in Maine so you know it's hardy; great color and loaded with buds

TANGERINE TUESDAY, a hard to find cultivar but a great one. Every year it sends up tons of scapes, even in years of drought, blooms in the later season and sets pods every time. A big, husky plant under it.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste/NH
  • Brad KY 6b
    last year

Nancy, Tropical Tease is really beautiful!

Celeste, I love Throned in Glory; I love purple with white edgings. I also like Teaberry Tycoon and Troubled Sleep.

Brad

• daylilybedmaker
    last year

There are so many T's to tease me. I really like TROPICAL TEASE, THAIS, THE DREAM SOCIETY and TALL DARK STRANGER.

Here are my top five and of course I will start with a Bennett intro:

TACTICAL CAT: It is unusual for me to like a small bloom, but I love this one. Increases well, every bloom is perfect and it is pod and pollen fertile. I am hoping for some patterns with the crosses I made this past summer.

THE TRIBBLE WITH BLUE: Rapid increaser. Reblooms most years.

TRANSYLVANIAN TANGO: Love the toothy edge. Well branched tall scapes. Many buds and blooms over a long period of time. Increase is normal, but it is a space eater. Fans are large.

TUSCAWILLA BLACKOUT: A black rose purple. One of my favorites. It has a velvety look and depending on the light, one can see all of the mentioned colors, especially in the morning. This photo was taken around Noon.

29 Flags Over Conway: Not the best picture, but this is a rich dark grape purple. Rapid increaser. Pod and pollen fertile.

That is it from me.

David

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked daylilybedmaker
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    last year

Kate:Thomas Tew is gorgeous in your picture. As a rule white daylilies with eyes leave me cold, but the way it grows for you leaves me warm.......Kay: I like Texas Carnival dance. Don't remember seeing it before. I also like Trahlyta. It's been on my long list for awhile.....Nancy: Terry Lyninger looks superb in your photo. Unfortunately it's not colorfast in my heat.......Brad: You mean many of the people at the gathering there missed seeing the Rihana 1/2 time gyrations at the sb? What a hard choice that must have been. I grew Tuscawilla Tigress many moons ago. It was a good growing daylily, but did fade as the temperature rose. It moved on......Celeste: I'm with Brad on Throned in Glory and for the same reasons.......David: I don't remember seeing 29 Flags Over Conway. I really like the white star. Will have to look that one up......Nan: Tropical Tease is a pretty one. Another Norris I won't be able to find...And speaking of Norris:.........Mantis: I keep meaning to tell you how much I enjoy your Norris postings. The only draw back is that for a couple of years now I can't find a rust free source for Ruby Grandeur, and now that pink you like so much Blushing Escapade. When Mr. Norris's wife died early last year, I couldn't order from him. I don't know what's going on with his business now...........Maryl

• lilykate7a
    last year

Mantis, here is Thundering Voice in my garden. I notice many pictures in the database have more reddish tones. I thought I had a clump photo but could not find it.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked lilykate7a
  • mantis__oh
    last year

Thanks for the pic, Kate. Looks quite saturated.

Maryl, Ruby Grandeur isn't a rapid multiplier, but I may have it in the fall. I don't think Richard Norris will be sending out plants this year, except perhaps for a new introduction and for select customers. He told one person he couldn't accept an order. I did see Tropical Tease once at his garden upon its introduction. Seemed vigorous.

Celeste, some interesting ones. Throned in Glory, in particular. Korth doesn't keep his old cultivars very long, so some get lost in the trade.

Trance, good here. The Bride of Dracula--one of those hard-to-get plants.

Someone should mention The Band Played On. A very worthy cultivar, though the bud count is modest.

Tomato Clownfish. Very bright and strong edge on clear yellow. A Grossmann intro. I am interested in feedback on more of his intros. Some have not had good scapes.

Truth Teller (Emmerich) --nice, but doesn't like afternoon sun

Thundercat. Good last year.

Tickle Fingers --nice, but too soon to evaluate thoroughly.

Teeth of Iron --vivid, but short and not a fast multiplier.

Tahitian Waterfall --an appealing shade of coral pink

Tar and Feather --striking black purple eyezone. Nice display in the early garden.

The Goldilocks Effect. Still the finest polychrome here. But many people recoil from anything gold or yellow.

Tropical Fusion --very colorful. Scape is not ideal, but makes an impact in the landscape. Nan grows it.

Also recommended: Tigrillo Afternoon, Tactical Deception, Tiger by the Tail (with some reservations).

But I've already pushed the envelope.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    last year

E-mail me Mantis if you can spare a bit of Ruby Grandeur in fall. We will talk about it then. Very nice of you to even think about it. As I said I've spent this year and last looking for Ruby Grandeur from a Rust Free source and have had no success. Shame about Mr. Norris. I'm so glad you have many of his to carry on his legacy...........Truth Teller and Teeth Like Iron are a very pretty Emmerichs. I've had hit or miss (mostly miss) luck with hers unfortunately. If our heat doesn't get them, my cold weather does....Maryl