Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_599437216

What style of house is this, and how would you enhance the front?

HU-599437216
last year
last modified: last year

Hello! I would like to improve and optimize the front entrance of my house - things as simple as new house numbers, lights, screen door, etc. And maybe more eventually. But, I am having a hard time defining the style, and making sure design decisions are complimentary. The house is in Massachusetts in a neighborhood on a pond. Built in 1989. I am from California and like arts&crafts, frank lloyd wright, southwest design. The inside of the house feels this way to me - terra cotta tile floors, the stairs (including some inside pics below to help) But whenever I go to describe my house, and think about how to optimize or improve the front exterior, it has left me a little stumped. I want it to match, but don't want to end up making decisions that are kitschy or out of place. I get lost in tabs and tabs of ideas, and just give up. What do you see here? Any advice, big or small?

Comments (23)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

looks like a small cape/ cottage type.

I thin the cedar would look great w/an ebony stain

concentrate on the front landscaping/hardscape. maybe a new front door and for sure some type of path/walkway

• HU-599437216
    Original Author
    last year

Ah yes! a walkway is a good idea. Much needed. Thank you.

• HU-599437216
    Original Author
    last year

"Small cape cottage" -- So useful to have this description as a starting point for ideas and info! It's already helped a lot. The photos you posted capture a lot of possibilities. thanks again!

• palimpsest
    last year

It's kind of a modest version of a shed style house. Not all shed style houses have skillion roofs, some have gables.

HU-599437216 thanked palimpsest
  • WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

Can the shed be relocated? I find it visually distracting in that spot and competing for my attention with the door

HU-599437216 thanked WestCoast Hopeful
  • Esperanza Marischino
    last year

I thought "Cape", too...loved that ebony stain somebody posted.

I've heard architects (Norman Askins, among others) talk about giving a house a story to guide your design choices. To me, this says "California nature-lovers return to the family homestead back East". The interior- the tiles, the windows, the light, the views- speaks to the West Coast; the simple, dark building says East Coast. An interesting juxtaposition, underscored by simple lines and great light. I'd go for a simple shed covering over the door or an enclosed entry (which could possibly incorporate the storage that shed is currently providing), a path to the door, and some landscaping. Great spot!

HU-599437216 thanked Esperanza Marischino
  • kandrewspa
    last year

If the ebony is too dark for you a weathered gray would work too. A green undertone instead of blue would complement the natural surroundings. Great view out back!

HU-599437216 thanked kandrewspa
  • HU-599437216
    Original Author
    last year

@palimpsest - Oh yes I am looking this up, and see what you mean about shed style. The entire top floor was added on later, and I think the gables give the overall structure of the house an asymmetrical look. Aside from modern examples, the shape of "shed styles" reminds me of the buildings at this place I admire/follow called Salmon Creek Farm. Rustic, but inspiring: https://www.instagram.com/salmon_creek_farm/?hl=en

• RedRyder
    last year

It’s like a lake house so think about soft colors on the inside, stronger color on the outside with pure white trim. I would paint the door some kind of blue as a nod to the pond.

I agree that the shed makes the front look crowded. Can you move it?

A sweet bench plus some colorful landscaping (and a walkway) will make the house even more adorable.

HU-599437216 thanked RedRyder
  • HU-599437216
    Original Author
    last year

@WestCoast Hopeful I would love to move the shed. We don't have a lot of land that is flat - the house is built into a very steep hill, and where the shed sits right now, it's is on top of a retention wall that supports it. So i'm not sure where it would go, but maybe at minimum it can be disguised or beautified a little more.

• HU-599437216
    Original Author
    last year

@Esperanza Marischino - I love this idea of a story for the house as a guide. I agree that the inside feels different from the exterior. (...at least the front exterior. The back is all deck which feels more in line with the inside.) I have been drawn to making decisions for the front that "feel" like the inside, but also want to honor what's there. Finding a way to do both would be the dream. I am looking up the suggestions you offered, like a simple shed covering or enclosed entry, etc. Thank you!

• Esperanza Marischino
    last year

I think the thing that ties the East and West vibes together is simplicity and straight lines. I'd keep whatever architecture you do on the outside in keeping with the existing exterior (as if it had been built from the beginning with the rest of the house)-- that makes the impact of walking into something different even more powerful. But if you do a shed overhang or enclosed entry, you could add some outdoor sculpture/wall art to give it a little West Coast flavor, and a hint of what's inside.

I have some artist friends who live in a very traditional, cookie-cutter house. Their front walk, porch, and even front door are dotted with bits of art that tell you something special and different is inside-- it creates anticipation as you approach the door, and tells the story of the people there. I'm sure you can find a way to do that, too!

HU-599437216 thanked Esperanza Marischino
  • nwduck
    last year

I like the idea of the house going weathered gray with white trim. I would skip painting downspouts white (not a feature, in my view) and the trim on the shed(s)/potting table. Those could go the house color. Then I would look into creating a plant/art courtyard. If you can find more of those paver/walkway stones by the front door, I would add those on, running to the edge of the house at the tree, and to the end of the potting table. (You could still have guest parking on them, as that seems like it might be needed.) I like the plants on the table. Colored pots are always a wow. You might look for a cool piece of outdoor art for the left side of the shed, or as fall/winter comes, the good old standby wreath. I like your house numbers. Maybe spray paint those in a color you like? I'd also add a bigger window box that runs the length of the window, and find a larger door mat that is colorful and speaks to you.

This house says California artist and plant lover moves to Massachusetts. :)

HU-599437216 thanked nwduck
  • Kendrah
    last year

I love the brown of your home, it blends with the woodsy vibe and the trees. What you lack is a sense of place, a unified look that reads "home" "entrance" and "welcome".

Paint the shed darker brown to match your house color and don't paint the shed trim white. Use the same color as the rest of the shed.

If you like your pavers keep them - are they cobblestones? Or use other natural stone pavers, perhaps a different color than the gravel. Place some kind of edging barrier around the pavers to keep the gravel out of that area. Now you will have an actual entrace area.

Remove all the tiny pots. Get 2 large planter: to the right of the front door and on the angled part of the shed where the blue planter now sits. Plant with robust sized evergreen shrubs or tall grasses. (Maybe get large planters in the red color below.)

Remove the left light, have just a right light, a sconce that echos the shape of your kitchen ceiling light, connecting the inside with the outside. Make it white or black. Remove the window box or add one the same color as your wood siding and have it run the entire length of the window. Get a cushion for the bench. Something that looks like one of your indoor throw pillows. Does anyone look a street address to find you? If so, I think the current address placement would be hard to see.

The brown, white, and trees of this home remind me of yours. Red is kind of a nice accent color. I was surprised it is a west coast house.

Coastal Stunner - Front Entry · More Info

HU-599437216 thanked Kendrah
  • btydrvn
    last year

The entry needs to be accentuated…perhaps a little peaked roof over the door…creating a small covered porch with posts …painted all white including the little back wall/ fence …for a much more visible entry for the lovely home it leads to..if you use that front outdoor space , i would expand the larger stone patio area and add a little more seating…all of this will live up more to the specialness of your home…

HU-599437216 thanked btydrvn
  • mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    last year

Where is the front door?

HU-599437216 thanked mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
  • btydrvn
    last year

Your interior doesn’t really relate to the exterior IMO…but it does appear to be original …so …i would not be influenced by that…if you are looking for a small change/update painting the wood trim facing the views would be a place to start

HU-599437216 thanked btydrvn
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

The home is contemporary. It's not a Cape Anything.

It could use a better entry but that would only be possible if the shed could be demoed.

HU-599437216 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Silvia Punta
    last year

Barn style cottage . Lovely ! Enjoy !!

HU-599437216 thanked Silvia Punta
  • HU-599437216
    Original Author
    last year

Loving all these comments and creative suggestions. What a cool community/site. Thank you!

• kl23
    last year

Who care? That VIEW!!! OMG! What a nice home!

• Kendrah
    last year

@K L is to the point about the view. I wouldn't focus on making the front a seating area. Why would you ever sit by the road when you could sit on a deck on the lake?! @BeverlyFLADeziner is to the point about your house just being contemporary 1980s box. It doesn't really boast any particular style rules that you need to accomodate. I think the main point here is to declutter, define the front door area more.