Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Follow Up: Weighted Blanket

Funkyart
last year

I wanted to circle back on the weighted blanket discussion to share my experience. I purchased theBaloo blanket that Mtn recommended (also Wirecutter's top pick for 2023). It's a little pricier than some but I love that it is a nice cotton and very well made. I say "blanket" but I purchased the throw (also at Mtn's recommendation). I was a little concerned that it would be too small but it is actually the perfect size. I am a side sleeper and it covers both front and back, toes to shoulders.

I noticed a big improvement in my sleep right from the first night.. I go to sleep more quickly and if I wake up in the middle of the night, I am often able to go right back to sleep. The biggest change is that I used to toss and turn a lot and that has all but gone away. I may change my position (from left side to right side) once in the night and sometimes not at all. I definitely feel very relaxed with the weight evenly distributed across my body. It has not solved ALL my sleep issues (she says as she is posting after midnight) but it has definitely been a big improvement.

My only concern is if it will be too hot as we move into Spring and Summer. I do sleep "hot" but I sleep with a/c so it may just mean switching it on sooner than I would have otherwise.

Big thumbs up here ... and another thank you to Mtn for sharing her experiences! Her post was the nudge I needed to give it a try. If you are curious, I definitely recommend giving it a try.

Comments (6)

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

One more note: I did not buy a linen cover for my blanket. I may change my mind but I was concerned it would make it harder to adjust daily when I make my bed (or while in bed). I pulled my flat sheets out of storage and use that between me and the weighted blanket. Quilt and/or down comforter are on top of the weighted blanket.

I may change that going forward. If I use it on top of my other bedding, I will definitely add the linen cover. If you are using a weighted blanket, how to you incorporate it into your other bedding pieces?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year
    last modified: last year

The Baloo blanket is washable. I use it over a flat sheet and under the q duvet we both share. I have not found it too hot in the summer. I missed it when I was on vacation. For me, it really aids falling asleep and gives me a deeper sleep.

Glad you like yours, Funky!

Funkyart thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Oakley, i mentioned a linen duvet because that is what Baloo offers for their blankets/throws. As Mtn noted, it *can* be washed but I have not yet washed mine. it doesn't come into contact with my skin and it isn't open to the room so I didn't do it yet. I will soon. I do use a duvet cover on my down comforter-- which touches both my skin and is open to the room.

I am not sure how I would measure the depth of my sleep-- but since I am not tossing and turning, I think that is a good sign of a deeper sleep? I was feeling more rested when I first started using the weighted blanket.. but lately, I have been tired all the time. I suspect it is unrelated to my bedding as I have been sick and have shortened the duration of my nighttime sleep (for various reasons).

• User
    last year

I thought I would like them, I seem like the type. I got to use one when I was a guest at my friend's house, and had to take it off immediately. it was an extraordinarily heavy version, around 25 pounds. she bought it for her troubled teen who lives there part time. I remember thinking, is she trying to trap him in there? I think she didn't know that it was probably an inappropriate weight for him, or even an adult my size. LOL.

I do really like a normal blanket with a lot of weight and drape though. currently I sleep with a king down comforter folded in half, and it's wonderful. I had to tailor a cover to fit, which was totally worth the trouble. (hubs and I have separate blankets, which helps with my sleep a lot.)

Funkyart thanked User
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

I had thought about getting a queen blanket at 25lb (the throw is 12lb.) I haven't looked into the physics but I assume the 25 lb are distributed across the full blanket so not sure how it compares to the 12 lb which basically just covers my body and a little more.

Interesting that you are creating the weight with your bedding-- that's exactly how I tried it out before buying. I have a heavier than normal ugg blanket that I used on top of all my other bedding. I expected to hate it because I am a bit claustrophobic but I have had no issues. It is comforting.