Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djacobz568sewi

Can this tree be saved?

My Salix Caprea Pendula has tipped like this for the second time in several weeks die to heavy wet snow. It is a mature tree being 10+ years. I righted once and used a large heavy stone to prop it up. Now that it’s tipped over, I will stake and tie it. Will it be ok after I do so?

debra

Comments (11)

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    last year

It depends on whether or not the trunk bent or broke when it went over.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked BillMN-z-2-3-4
  • tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    last year
    last modified: last year

If it is all still intact, you likely have a circling root problem…or similar root issue.

tj

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
  • BillMN-z-2-3-4
    last year

I'm surprised it did as good as it did being over 10 yo. (if it had circling roots).

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked BillMN-z-2-3-4
  • krnuttle
    last year

If the trunk is not damaged, I would straighten as well as posible without damaging the trunk, Then trim back the crown to lighten the load on the trunk while it is recovering.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked krnuttle
  • Embothrium
    last year

If adequate support is now provided, then no need for a salad bowl haircut afterward. Which defeats the purpose of a weeping tree. Otherwise, the commercially dominant weeping goat willow is 'Kilmarnock'. With showy male catkins. The previously circulated, less attractively flowered female 'Weeping Sally' having become rare some time ago. And both being examples of the botanical designation pendula, which is not specific to any particular horticultural form. In other words vendors should be calling the ones sold these days 'Kilmarnock' instead of pendula. 'Weeping Sally' being effectively extinct commercially.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked Embothrium
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    last year

The trunk is in tact. It seems that the roots are pulling out some what. Wish I could get a better picture of that. I will have to look up “circling root” issue.

debra

• Embothrium
    last year

Search "rootbound". In my experience most container grown woody ornamentals have deformed roots.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    last year

Now I don't know anything, but . . . I notice there is a collar around the bottom of the tree. Could this have something to do with the tree not doing well? I thought the base of trees need to breathe and not be covered? Disregard if this doesn't make any sense!

Hope your tree survives! It would be a shame to lose it.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

That’s just a tree guard. It shouldn't affect the tree, especially in this case where the guard appears to be very loose. I agree that it’s probably never been properly rooted. Also agree about not giving it a mushroom cut In future.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    last year

a tree is said to be twice as big .... below ground.. as you see above ground. .. and its supposed to be in a rather flat pancake form ...

the primary reason for such.. is to hold the dam tree up .. eh?? ...

so as noted above repeatedly.. there is a far indication that your tree has pot formed circling roots.. and therefore the roots dont radiate out.. to hold up the dam tree ...

peeps above said repeatedly.. if the trunk wasnt broken..etc.. yes.. but the bigger concern.. or equal concern might be if half the roots on the one side were severed in the fall over.. to make sure.. i would water it vigorously in the heat of summer on that side ...

i might dig on the side away from the fall... pull the plant back up.. and look at the roots.. to see if you might cut a large one or two.. to encourage proper radiating growth ... its already been stressed from all this nonsense.. so why not stress it a bit more.. and try to fix it ...

if it fails.. it will be in july/august... when it might not have the root mass it needs to get proper water.. so you are in charge of that

thank god its a deciduous tree.. if it werent.. i would cut the odds of recovery significantly ... for it trying to save greenery.. with stressed roots.. in this case.. it has what.. until late may.. to get the ground thawed .. and get some early spring root growth going.. before it needs water in summer heat ..

ken

• old_dirt 6a
    last year

I had a flowering dogwood that did the same thing form the wind, three years in a row. I just loosened the soil, buried it back and put up a flimsy post. After the third time, I strapped it to a solid fence post and it still stands and is healthy. Of course the ugly fence post is still there after at least ten years. Do give it lots of water in the summer if you do the same.