Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kerrydavis

long narrow living room

kerrydavis
last year

I have a small table where a writhing desk is going..

I need a picture idea above the sofa… hate that one.. not soft enough

Any suggestions for decor or make this space look complete ( including desk ideas)

Comments (24)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

Are you sure that's the best furnishings layout for this room? If we could see the total room we might be able to provide a better layout. The conversation area is not very friendly

Select art that has no glass Your room has an issue with glare

• Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    last year

I agree with Bev regarding the glare. You can get glass with no glare. Art is a very personal thing, however, just for discussion here is an example. https://www.art.com/products/p53595055784-sa-i11403409/abstract-blue-painting-background-painting-on-canvas-modern-art-contemporary-art-like-sea-snow.htm?upi=Q1HC6EI0&PODConfigID=9327772 Buy just the print and get it framed locally. See if you can get plexiglass with no glare. Plexiglass is lighter and therefore safer/easier to hang than glass. Get art that is the full length of the couch.

• kerrydavis
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, I actually have a painting coming from a local artist getting made..
    I did have the chairs facing the fireplace, you’re right better for conversation..

Just needed space for a small work station .. trying to make it work

• Kendrah
    last year

This new arrangement looks much better with the chairs side by side and facing the TV. Is the sofa black or neutral? Has switched in the photos. I don't see how you comfortable fit a desk in this room. How often would you use the desk and for what? Can you either put one in your bedroom or use your dining room table instead?

• Krista Deng
    last year

Here are some ideas to make your space look complete:

1. Hang a large piece of art above the sofa. This could be a painting, photograph, or print. Look for something with soft colors and a calming subject matter to create a relaxed atmosphere.
    2. Add some throw pillows and a cozy blanket to the sofa to make it more inviting. Look for textures like velvet or faux fur to add softness to the space.
    3. Place a rug under the sofa to anchor the seating area and add warmth to the room. Look for a rug with a soft, plush texture.
    4. Consider adding some greenery to the space, such as a potted plant or a vase of fresh flowers. Plants add life and color to a room and can make it feel more complete.
    5. For the writing desk, consider adding a desk lamp to provide task lighting and create a cozy atmosphere. You could also add a decorative tray to corral small items like pens and paper clips.
    6. Consider adding some wall shelves above the desk to provide additional storage and display space. You could use the shelves to showcase books, decorative objects, or even plants.
    7. Finally, consider adding a small accent chair or pouf to the space to create a cozy reading nook. This could be a great spot to curl up with a book or enjoy a cup of tea.
  • nelliebean
    last year

The new arrangement looks better with the chairs facing the tv. Can they be brought forward just a bit? Maybe access the door from behind the chairs instead of in front of them?

• julibox
    last year

Ok and one other floor plan thought. Hard to tell without dimensions of the room. Build in a bench along the windows and turn your dining table into the nook. Rotate the rug, put the couch and two chairs opposite each other and see if you can get a writing desk between the kitchen and the back of the couch.

• nelliebean
    last year

Julibox has some great ideas. Another idea is to but the push the table up to the island and sit on the one side, then you have more room usable room in the living room area. Of course that depends how many people you need to sit on a daily basis. I think a day of moving stuff around, including the fireplace would be fun. If you do, take some pictures for us.

• kerrydavis
    Original Author
    last year

I never thought about exchanging and the sofa. I tried moving the rug the opposite direction, but there is not enough space. I like it a lot better like this. I have art work coming that will now be placed over the blue chairs . I’m thinking the painting on the wall is too small for that area as well, maybe I should get another one the same size?

You suggested plants and greenery. Can you give me some more ideas please

• kerrydavis
    Original Author
    last year

Oh and I bought a new sofa

• kerrydavis
    Original Author
    last year

I’m thinking that plant will obstruct you for conversation so I will move it back next to the curtains. Also, the curtains and the sofa is almost the same colour now should I change it to curtains? Before it was a nice contrast against the blue chairs. If so, what colour

• kerrydavis
    Original Author
    last year

Ideas for this,, maybe just a few books and a small plant

• kerrydavis
    Original Author
    last year

Maybe now I should get a longer curtain rod to make it look like a huge window… curtains the whole wall?

• kerrydavis
    Original Author
    last year

Or

• kerrydavis
    Original Author
    last year

Well I’ll make it even from each side if this looks better, your thoughts?

Also I’ll move the other painting .. gosh you guys got me excited..

• kerrydavis
    Original Author
    last year

Then an idea for wall next to the table?

• kerrydavis
    Original Author
    last year

Suggestions?

• julibox
    last year

Gosh Keri it looks great! Love the new couch. You could try the plant on the sofa table. Is there enough room back there for a small desk?
    I love your idea of full wall of curtains! I would do a pattern with some blue in it. I have done a single rod with sheers in the middle and the curtains on the ends. Then there is always light coming in but it is not so bright. Might help in balancing the window space as well.

If you are using the area behind the sofa, I think you should leave your couch off center. If not, it looks great centered.

The wall in the dining area could have something textural… woven baskets, a metal art piece, architectural wooden piece.don’t worry about getting it right away, go spend some time and find something, maybe on your next vacation, summer flea market, etc.

I would leave the walls by the window and sofa blank and put artwork above the two chairs. A large piece and two small or something like that.

I really like your brass spot table. Maybe underneath the plant in the corner if it won’t wreck it.

• julibox
    last year

P.s. I like your poufs. They look good where they are but you could try them together in front of the sofa as foot stools.
    On the glass coffee table, I would remove everything, add a tray off skew, that has a plant and two books? Or some coasters? Add folded throw on the bottom if you use one, otherwise leave the bottom shelf blank.

• kerrydavis
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks.. there is not much shopping in this isolated community.. seriously 12 hour drive away( catch ferry and overnight on the way due to the ferry schedule) so it’s relying online.. unfortunately, because we are isolated, not everyone is willing to ship to us.. can’t win..

I did find some white curtains with a blue pattern on it locally, honestly, you would not have matched the blue colour any better. It’s two if it was made the exact same time. But they are too short (84”) ones there now are 90”. I’m trying to be creative… maybe I’ll add an extension in a solid color.. just thinking out loud..

I put 2 books and a small plant on the gold stand

Coffee table: flowers, candles, books..

• kerrydavis
    Original Author
    last year

This color is better… just laid the curtains on top to see against the sofa

• kerrydavis
    Original Author
    last year

Just laid the blanket on the sofa… so puppy don’t get it dirty… while I’m decorating..

• julibox
    last year

Nice you found some locally. I can’t picture what the new curtains will look like installed. Will there be more blue showing or white? If you bring some blue in a pillow too that would help. Could you dye your gray curtains blue and use the new ones in the middle? Or cut strips and sew the dyed ones to the bottom of the new?