Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dietcokediva

Mystery White-ish Paint Color!

dietcokediva
last year
last modified: last year

Hi - I'm looking for a wall paint color that looks like the painted walls in the photo below. Any ideas out there? Help me out of paint color hell, lol! Seriously, I appreciate any help. Thank you.

Comments (21)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

No way can anyone tell you. It's not your space, your light, your room.

All whites, and all colors, are going to look different depending natural light, artificial light, exposure as n,s,e,west.

You test whites in YOUR space.

dietcokediva thanked JAN MOYER
  • oreolucca1
    last year

I would smaple ballet white or maritime white. It have a very similar color in my living room and fouer good luck

dietcokediva thanked oreolucca1
  • dietcokediva
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for your help! Ballet White is on my list and I'll look into Maritime white.

• Jilly
    last year

Regarding the house you show, the walls are a “custom color of lime-based venetian plaster” done by Sommer Design:

Check out the views! I had to share this awesomeness. I’d never leave my back yard:

Anyway, this board passionately loves white, you should get plenty of suggestions. You might want to edit your title to something about looking for white paint. Good luck. :)

dietcokediva thanked Jilly
  • golfer50043
    last year

I would move away from the whites on the samples search Benjamin Moore cocoa butter 1023 and Iconic Column 1016 search near these lighter ,darker . Buy a Sample ! buy a small drywall square and use for sample colors be patient and you will find it

dietcokediva thanked golfer50043
  • Jennifer Hogan
    last year

What is it that you love about this color?

The light shining on the wall is more pink than the spaces without light, which tells me this photo was photoshopped. Light bulbs generally either make colors whiter bluer or more yellow, not more pink.

That doesn't mean the color can't be reproduced, just that the color showing in the picture is not the original color.

Ballet white is beautiful, but more yellow than any of the colors in the photo.

I pulled out some of the colors in the photo and matched them to paint colors.

And then I gave you a few other lighter options.

Moonshine feels green even though it was the closest match to the blue square on the left.

Shale is a good match to the blue square on the right, but a full room picture of Shale proves to be darker than the overall color in the picture

Abalone and Lacey Pearl seem better:

dietcokediva thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • Kendrah
    last year

I see why you love this color. We can give suggestions but remember that these ceilings are super high, huge windows, light colored floors, and massive entryway. These all impact how the color looks here and that it might look quite different in your space.

That said, I used Maritime white in a kitchen and it was stunning. Also, Dimity by Farrow and Ball is a neutral that has a bit of the warm reddish undertone I think you are responding to.

dietcokediva thanked Kendrah
  • Jennifer Hogan
    last year

If you already have flooring in the room the paint color you choose has to work with the flooring.

If your flooring has yellow undertones, these may look too pink.

If your flooring has violet undertones Ballet White may look too yellow.

If you have a piece of your flooring to to BM and pick a large number of the paper samples of different whites and off whites.

Take them outside on a sunny day at about 2:00 in the afternoon and look at the samples next to your flooring. It is amazing how when looking inside your home at small samples something can look good, but when you take it outside in natural daylight the sample will scream green or blue or pink or yellow. When you paint the whole wall that screaming color is all you will see.

I always test neutrals and whites outside and inside and make a final decision based on a large sample (like 3'x3') against a primed wall next to the floor. A different color wall can completely throw off your sample color.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I need to see your space so I can understand this color choice. Of course you will not get this exact look becuse you are not doing venitian plaster . On my monitor it has a blush undertone is that what you are drawn to? All of the stuff you have in the space and your lighting will have a effect on any color you choose .

dietcokediva thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

Never select colors from a computer screen. This is another game of pin the tail on the donkey.

dietcokediva thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • Jennifer Hogan
    last year

The reason I asked about flooring selection is well demonstrated with the look you are using as your inspiration and the flooring choice you made.

Flooring choice drives wall color choice. My "color" for the flooring is not perfect, but close enough to give you a feel for what the outcome could be.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

Mixing warm and cool tones is tricky. It can be done and done well and have fabulous results, but you may need to bring in a really good interior designer to help mesh the cool concrete walls with warmth. It can be hard to get the perfect balance.

Adding wood to a room with concrete floors is sometimes a good answer.

Mixing warm and cool stone on the fireplace is another answer.

My mom always taught us to look to mother nature to find how to choose colors.

Dilute Calico cats are my inspiration for choosing cool and warm colors although there are other animals that have mixed coat colors.

Natural aging of wood and bark also provides us with inspiration

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

I really like the thought of adding a pink brick or a pink brick with a light white wash over it on the fireplace wall to add texture and warmth, but I am not an interior designer.

Here are a few pics I found with rooms with concrete floors and warmth brought in with wood or brick . . .

Love this and thinking that a venetian plaster finish on the walls (or faux or wallpaper) could give you this type of look.

Google Dwell concrete floors for a gazzillion more pictures of living rooms and kitchens with concrete floors.

Venetian look wallpaper

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Awwwwww !

Our beloved kitty… named Kittty for lack of agreement’!

identical:)

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last year

Gorgeous animals!

That being said, it's too early to select a paint color. You need to get the flooring, ceiling and walls up before you choose. There are probably hundreds if not thousands of colors that would work. And yes of course the photos are photoshopped and look different in person than they do on a computer monitor.

Come back with photos after the room is almost finished. Or hire a color consultant to help you and avoid high color anxiety.

dietcokediva thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • dietcokediva
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks again for the ideas and input! And, I really enjoyed the adorable cats (and bunny) photos with their beautfiful coloring. Same for the nature photos. I'm all about nature and animals. And, thank you for the Dwell lead!

I need a color consultant. I've been studying off whites and greiges for a year. It's not helping me get any closer to color decisions that need to be made but it is creating lots of anxiety as Diana mentioned. If any of you know of an outstanding consultant that is gifted with neutral/nature palletes, please feel free to pass on their information. Can this be done online? The home is in a very small New Mexico town.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

The "gift" you give yourself, is not the color consultant. It's the interior designer. Someone near this small town. Someone with whom you can forge a relationship through this entire process and NOT online.

Why? Because a house is much more than a bunch of walls with different exposures and a contiguous flooring.

Because NO paint, nor any color, is a death sentence of permanence or an unintended hole needing a repair in any of those walls! It's PAINT.

Because there will be ( I hope ) rugs, places to sit , a bed on which to sleep. There will be cabinetry, tables, lighting. Other surfaces - stone wood, metal etc.

Because not every room for every purpose will get the same light, the same materials, the same rug, fabrics, or anything else!

You get the designer now, while you still have lots of decisions to be made and before there's a mile of drywall in your face, and before there's a painter begging, "what color goes here, lady?" : )

That said, and minus any other information- without knowing a single finish on a beam, a tile in a bath, or a duvet cover on a darn bed?

I'd say go get a gallon of Ben Moore "Navajo White" ( apt name , right ?) . Paint a big huge board. Or many. I mean the size of poster boards at least. Walk them around in there.

Think about what you want individual rooms to look and feel like.

Just know this - paint is not life and death. It's nowhere as permanent as beams, or cabinetry screwed to the walls or topped with stone. : ) No picture of any room grabbed from the professionally photographed, photo shopped internet is YOURS. GET HELP. It is the best money you can spend.

( Navajo is warmth minus dreaded yellow: )

Example unrelated to your home? It's on these walls

Traditions refined · More Info

same house........and these walls, at the opposite end of the house, and opposite exposure.

and yes.......the dining room is papered, green grass cloth.

What's the point ? This house isn't yours, isn't any other client but this client, his art, his tastes, his gardens beyond. And the paint on the walls is nothing more or less, than the envelope containing all within.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

I do agree that hiring a pro may be the right answer and that it is too early to pick final colors, but I also believe that knowing your own personal color preferences and your own goals for the overall feeling you want to have for your home is something that you need to know. I always create a general whole home color palette before picking any finishes.

Sadly, both here on Houzz and from life experience, I find many pros (not all) make their likes and dislikes into design "Rules" and push current trends rather than individualize design based on the unique preferences of the people who will be living in the home.

One of my first calls to assist someone with color selection for their home was from someone using an interior designer who wasn't listening. The designer was really pushing the woman to follow the current trend (at that time builders beige and white). The designer told her to use all neutrals for the walls, floors, cabinets and new furnishings and they could add color with area rugs and accessories.

She had her previous home repainted and new carpet laid down on the advice of her realtor. It was now beige and white and on the market. Previously the walls had a textured wall paper and dark green carpet.

This is a picture of her sofa in that beige and white room.

Do you think this woman would have been happy in a beige and white home with a few pops of color brought in with accessories?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

The move in is the beginning of a new life in a new home. It's not "until death do we part" with regards to decor.

Building is hard in that decisions SEEM final on all things. Those decisions come at you before you're ready. How do you know what color you want in your bedroom? Maybe you don't! Maybe you have no rug, no bedding selected! But you have to paint to get in the house. If a room gets painted again? It's because of all above, and not the end of the world. In fact, it's just a hidden cost in a new build. Relax, get help, and you'll have less of that "hidden cost"

• dietcokediva
    Original Author
    last year

So true and I love looking at a paint color (plaster color) change as a hidden cost - thinking of it that way makes sense and makes it much more palatable!! Thank you, Jan.